what to be learn after core java

Generally what things to be learn after core java ,whether servlets and JSP or EJB or anythig else........................
and wht is this EJB??? why it is used????

Replies

• Yamini L
    Yamini L
    Re: problem regarding JAVA

We go for Servlets just to overcome the disadvantages we had in CGI.these servlets are more powerful and efficient than CGI(common Gateway Interface).
    JSP(Java Server Pages) is a technology that lets you develop dynamic web applications(web pages),is more powerful and is portable.

EJB is Enterprise Java Beans.It is a server-side component architecture for the development and deployment of distributed object systems for the Java platform. Applications written using the EJB architecture are scalable, transactional, and multi-user secure.I am also a beginner in EJB.

PSπŸ˜›lease dont use SMS text.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Re: problem regarding JAVA

Hey sahilgandhi,

Very good question but I am also not proficient in all these things. I am still in learning stage. πŸ˜‰

Why J2EE?
    As with growing need of web-centric applications. -Web centric applications need to be designed to handle thousands of users simulataneously for almost 24 x 7 without any downtime. So major challenge in buiding such applications is designing them and testing.So J2EE simplifies it by encapsulating the things in the form of J2EE componenets.

Java Beans, Java Servlets and Java Server Pages are the core components of J2EE.

EJBs: These are reusable server side business components that run on application servers.Mainly used for distributed transaction processing.

JSP & Servlets : As I said before also they do our server side programming but now JSP is used to do only client-side(UI) programming.

Thanks
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hi sahilgandhi,

Please have a look at the following links first πŸ˜€

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

Your question is somewhat answered in the following thread. So Please avoid makng unnecesary threads.

#-Link-Snipped-#

After Java, before going into JSP, Servlets and EJBs stuff, the very first requirement is to learn what are enterprise application? what are web servers, application servers, web containers? J2EE architecture looks like? What all services they require, xml deployment descriptors, jdbc connectivity and when you get an idea of whole J2EE architecure. Go ahead with learning J2EE components.

Hope I am answering correct.

Thanks
  • xero
    xero
    sahilgandhi: i guess you can better answer this yourself. I'm considering now you have some basic knowledge of core java.

Now the best way to find what to do next, is what do you want to do. Eg if you want to do something on mobile device you'll learn java on mobile platform.

You want to create a website with some functionality: there's a hell of stuff on that too

If you want to create a desktop application: you'll proceed for something called swing framework.

So its completely your call !

All the best πŸ˜€
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    After knowing core java you have following options to work with:

1) J2SE : Development of java applications using advanced features such as awt,swing etc.
    2) J2EE : Used for development of web applications.Consists of various components like servlets,jsp.javaBeans,EJB,JDBC etc
    3) J2ME : Used for developing applications or games for mobile phones.
  • sahilgandhi87
    sahilgandhi87
    xero
    sahilgandhi: i guess you can better answer this yourself. I'm considering now you have some basic knowledge of core java.

Now the best way to find what to do next, is what do you want to do. Eg if you want to do something on mobile device you'll learn java on mobile platform.

You want to create a website with some functionality: there's a hell of stuff on that too

If you want to create a desktop application: you'll proceed for something called swing framework.

So its completely your call !

All the best πŸ˜€
    Actually i want to make a project that actually automatically fillup the application forms or other forms on net
    (on the sites mentioned).Actually the information that is to be fill up in application form is saved on the hard disk(or in some DBMS) in the form of text file .N ow my project read this text file and fill up the application form on net.

so where i should go ?
    what I should start now?i know core java only.There are various things in java EJB,Servlets,JSP,JDBC etc.
    At what i should concentrate so that i am able to complete my Project.
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    sahilgandhi87
    Actually i want to make a project that actually automatically fillup the application forms or other forms on net
    (on the sites mentioned).Actually the information that is to be fill up in application form is saved on the hard disk(or in some DBMS) in the form of text file .N ow my project read this text file and fill up the application form on net.

so where i should go ?
    what I should start now?i know core java only.There are various things in java EJB,Servlets,JSP,JDBC etc.
    At what i should concentrate so that i am able to complete my Project.
    Do you mean that client wants to fill the form and all information is stored on client side?
  • sahilgandhi87
    sahilgandhi87
    komputergeek
    Do you mean that client wants to fill the form and all information is stored on client side?
    Yes all information is on the client system either straigth in the form of text file or if it is in some database then we first collect the required info from DBase ,then make text file and after using that file to fill up the form on line.
    So tell me on what topic i should concentrate or what topic i should learn in order to complete my project
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    You will need to have knowledge of JDBC to read data from database.Then for writing its content to file you will need to have knowledge of file handling in java which is a part of core java.And finally to put the contents of file into web page you will need to use javascript or other client side technologies.
    JSP,Servlets,JavaBeans are server side technologies.You don't need to use them on client machine.
  • sahilgandhi87
    sahilgandhi87
    komputergeek
    You will need to have knowledge of JDBC to read data from database.Then for writing its content to file you will need to have knowledge of file handling in java which is a part of core java.And finally to put the contents of file into web page you will need to use javascript or other client side technologies.
    JSP,Servlets,JavaBeans are server side technologies.You don't need to use them on client machine.

Could u plz tell me which client side technology is best for my project(like Java Script or if u know any other that is better than JavaScript).Suggest me the book for that also plz.
  • budzlife
    budzlife
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    sahilgandhi87
    Could u plz tell me which client side technology is best for my project(like Java Script or if u know any other that is better than JavaScript).Suggest me the book for that also plz.
    I don't know any scripting language other than javascript.So I cant tell you which is the best.
    For JavaScript use "JavaScript : The Definitive Guide".
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hi sahilgandhi,

What is your project about.Please explain? As xero said- "swings" and komputergeek said - "javascript" and now I say you can make your client side UI using "JSP" and javascript.All depends on your learnings and will. πŸ˜€ They both are very simple to learn as well as use. In JSP, I can be of help , in swings xero can be of help and in javascript komputergeek can be of your help. Also if you are planning to use "JSP" make note you will need a server like Tomcat to make your client side pages to run.

Thanks
  • sahilgandhi87
    sahilgandhi87
    shalini_goel14
    Hi sahilgandhi,

What is your project about.Please explain? As xero said- "swings" and komputergeek said - "javascript" and now I say you can make your client side UI using "JSP" and javascript.All depends on your learnings and will. πŸ˜€ They both are very simple to learn as well as use. In JSP, I can be of help , in swings xero can be of help and in javascript komputergeek can be of your help. Also if you are planning to use "JSP" make note you will need a server like Tomcat to make your client side pages to run.

Thanks
    Introduction to my project:

Breifly i want to make a project that actually automatically fillup the application forms(may be registration form for Gmail account or other,may be to fill up the registration form on sites like monster.com,naukri.com ) on net.

1. I mean to say i get the information of the required form from its HTML coding.Now i parse that HTML code for the fields like input box for the First name or Sur name etc .(Tell me how to get the HTML code and how to parse it . Means just tell me Which thing to use for this ?? Javascript or JSP .)(also i don't know either one means neither JavaScript nor JSP .But i am learning core java and i can say it is going to be completed with in one week. So tell me which one to choose and their corresponding tutorial or reference.As I know i am quick learner, i can learn it fastly and efficiently.I just need the good suggestions and some help from u people.)

Now after parsing the HTML coding , we get the required info about that HTML code (registration page) .Means how many input boxes are there in
    the form and so on .
    After that i would need to make database,where the info to be field in the
    form is stored.Now with the help of sql queries we get the info out of it and then fill it in the form and at last submit that form automatically.

2. Now problem is i don't know how to make database (as iasked from someone who said use Oracle ).But i know the SQL queries that i read in 4th semester in DBMS subject (will they help me or i need "some tutorial" to get the info out of DBMS(then plz provide me the refernce for that) ).

as shalini u said earlier about some Tomcat SErver .What was that ???
    why i need that ,if i use JSP?

Plz suggest me .And give suggestions for 1 and 2 seperatly.
    and most impotantly tell me in detail about the tomcat server . why need?how to use??

Thanks in advance
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hi Sahil

1. But oncemore time, I have few questions -

Your project basic purpose is like as I have explained below Right?

You have a form with different fields and you just want to populate values from Database to those fields? If it is so- this is damn easy.

OR

Is it like populating values from a textfile to the fields in your form? If it is going to be a text file? his is going to be a kind of bad approach as well as static way of displaying data. Also your text file format should also be predefined right? Sounds sensible?

So Please tell which approach you are going to use? I would suggest to go for Database method. It would be scalable and uniform and finally will be easy to maintain. Rest is your decision. Feel free to ask more question on this. πŸ˜€

2. JSP is server side programming. I am not sure if you are aware of "Servlets" . If no, no worries - Servlets require a servlet development environment to run. This environment is provided by Web servers r containers. Apache Tomcat being open source is most commonly used for setting up Servlets Development Environment. When you run Tomcat , it acts as a web container for JSP pages and converts JSP pages to Servlets.

Suppose if you use HTML, you will not be able to map database values to your form fields . By use of JSP page, you can do so. JSP is also like HTML only.

Hope I have cleared your doubts πŸ˜€

Thanks
  • sahilgandhi87
    sahilgandhi87
    shalini_goel14
    Hi Sahil

1. But oncemore time, I have few questions -

Your project basic purpose is like as I have explained below Right?

You have a form with different fields and you just want to populate values from Database to those fields? If it is so- this is damn easy.

OR

Is it like populating values from a textfile to the fields in your form? If it is going to be a text file? his is going to be a kind of bad approach as well as static way of displaying data. Also your text file format should also be predefined right? Sounds sensible?

So Please tell which approach you are going to use? I would suggest to go for Database method. It would be scalable and uniform and finally will be easy to maintain. Rest is your decision. Feel free to ask more question on this. πŸ˜€

2. JSP is server side programming. I am not sure if you are aware of "Servlets" . If no, no worries - Servlets require a servlet development environment to run. This environment is provided by Web servers r containers. Apache Tomcat being open source is most commonly used for setting up Servlets Development Environment. When you run Tomcat , it acts as a web container for JSP pages and converts JSP pages to Servlets.

Suppose if you use HTML, you will not be able to map database values to your form fields . By use of JSP page, you can do so. JSP is also like HTML only.

Hope I have cleared your doubts πŸ˜€

Thanks
    firstly ,THANKs for your valuable suggestions and keep suggesting me

My project is:
    You have a form with different fields and you just want to populate values from Database to those fields?.

Now problem is i don't know how to make database (as i asked from someone who said use Oracle ).But i know the SQL queries that i read in 4th semester in DBMS subject (will they help me or i need "some tutorial" to get the info out of DBMSand how to make database(then plz provide me the refernce for that) ).

Shalini i know this project is easy(when i will learn JSP ..isn't it).
    why our H.O.D approve this project ? only because it is UNIQUE (from online ,banking or other projects).

Questions:
    1.Now suggest me about the DATABASE PROBLEM (sated above,means how to make DATABASE using ORACLE or anything)
    i will use JDBC in the project too.

2.Should i start learning JSP and SERVLETS(as u said u can fill up the form from database using JSP).Means no need to go for Javascript

3.As i do not know JSP so I was unaware of TOMCAT SERVER but as u suggested me ,now i am somewhat aware of this(means WHY TO USE ?).
    now if i need tomcat server in the project so from "where i get this ?" ,how to use it?
    ( I don't know whether these are valuable questions or not but i
    want to know their answers)

plz answer above 3 questions one by one

Thanks
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hi Sahil

Q1. You just focus on JDBC if possible. Your project will require very simple SQL queries. For that CE is here. Ayways refer any Oracle 11g book if can find some time.

Q2. Yep learn servlets. I wish could find some time to start a thread for it making a simple application using JSP & Servlets.

Q3. Go through Apache Tomcat site - tomcat.apache.org for this
    Apache Downloads

When you will learn servlets -you will automatically come to know about Tomcat.

Any doubts/problems in learning,feel free to ask here. πŸ˜€

Thanks
  • sahilgandhi87
    sahilgandhi87
    shalini_goel14
    Hi Sahil

Q1. You just focus on JDBC if possible. Your project will require very simple SQL queries. For that CE is here. Ayways refer any Oracle 11g book if can find some time.

Q2. Yep learn servlets. I wish could find some time to start a thread for it making a simple application using JSP & Servlets.

Q3. Go through Apache Tomcat site - tomcat.apache.org for this
    Apache Downloads

When you will learn servlets -you will automatically come to know about Tomcat.

Any doubts/problems in learning,feel free to ask here. πŸ˜€

Thanks

Thanks shalini for ur valuable suggestions.
    have a nice time

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

import java.io.*; import java.net.*; class AdviceClient { void go() { try { Socket s = new Socket("127.0.0.1",4242); InputStreamReader ir = new InputStreamReader(s.getInputStream()); BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(ir); String str=br.readLine(); System.out.println("Advice...
can anyone suggest me some books which explain the various stages of game development?
This year I have started using other sites that also having the features like CE site...But CE site is much interesting and I Cannot have a mind to leave once...
i m using ms office xp but while working in word or excel files gets corrupt & sometimes it not recoverable pls suggest.... how to stop files bieng corrupted....
man m makin a voice recognition security system in matlab...can u guide me how to go about it especially the feature extraction and pattern matching part...it will be of great...