What material is used in road-side signals to make them glow when light falls on it?

what is the element used in roads for signalling which is red colour and glows in night like radium?

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Re: What material is used in road-side signals to make them glow when light falls on

Can you be a bit more specific? I cannot tell if you are talking about signal lights, signs or pavement markings?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Re: What material is used in road-side signals to make them glow when light falls on

If you are referring to Cats eyes (the road markings) and signs, these are reflectors of light rather than them glowing, making use of principles of optics.
  • charumathi
    charumathi

no i was saying the red sticker or paint something else that is found in milestones....i wish to know what was the element present in it makes glow at night....
  • quartz
    quartz

Here you have what you need:
    Retroreflector

The same principe is used in your red stickers...
    Alot of small crystals (size between dust and sand) are trapped in the transparent reddish plastic.
    And the shape of those crystals are made to reflect back the incoming light.

Or a single transparent plasic is processed with a laser to modify its internal structure to creat some reflecting shapes...

It is not a specific metarial... but an optical structure...
  • charumathi
    charumathi

thank you frnd.😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am doing my final year computer science engineering..I ve been instructed to do a project based on fuzzy logic or neural networks domain..At present, i have one title MULTIVIEW...
Stay hungry, stay foolish by Rashmi Bansal is a story of 25IIM graduates. I haven't read it yet but looking forward to it. Has anyone read it?? Post reviews please!!...
Hello members, Will it help me in any means by learning Open solaris by Sun microsystems? How is it different from another OS? Will I be able to use it...
Hello CEans, I have 2 days for my aptitude test, could not prepare since i had training classes last two weeks. Can anyone help me in framing a plan to...
Hi friends..I need IS codes for Alluminium composite Panel (ACP) work & Stainless Steel work for designing & Quantity surveying purpose. I would be very thankful if anyone can tell...