CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Kedar Malwadkar • 23 Jul, 2012

Hello, I am Kedar and I am a crazy Mechanical engineer. I wanted to know what exactly is Wringing of slip gauges? I would appreciate if someone explained the process here. Thanks in advance.

@zaveri • 23 Jul, 2012 • 3 likes Slip gauges are high-precision measuring instruments, used for testing, inspection along with comparators.

Wringing is nothing, but removing the atmospheric air between two mating surfaces of any two gauge blocks, so that the blocks stick to each other due to vaccum.

to do this, hold the two blocks edge-to -edge, and gently push one of the blocks inside so as to make it sit on the other block, completely.
@white_hat • 23 Jul, 2012
Kedar Malwadkar
what is Wringing of slip guages?
You should check out TRIMOS.Google it to find out more.
Measurement labs do not use slip gauges any more,for high precision measurements trimos is used.
@Kedar Malwadkar • 24 Jul, 2012
white_hat
You should check out TRIMOS.Google it to find out more.
Measurement labs do not use slip gauges any more,for high precision measurements trimos is used.
might be, but it's in our syllabus so i need to read that!!!😀😉😎
@Kedar Malwadkar • 24 Jul, 2012 Thanks for the help guys!
@Vinay Mishra • 25 Jan, 2020 • 2 likes

Definition: A slip gauge is a measuring instrument which is used to measure the distance or gap between two join blocks/mesh gear.

We have a range of slip gauges between 0.5 to 100mm.

But sometimes when we have to measure a distance for which the range of slip gauge does not exist then, in this case, we need to stuck two slip gauges of the appropriate range together for measurement. And that stuck operation of two slip gauges is known as wringing of slip gauges.

I hope it helps!

@Karshil Sheth • 26 Jan, 2020 • 1 like

It is because of an important feature of gauge blocks is that they can be joined together with very little dimensional uncertainty. The blocks are joined by a sliding process called wringing, which causes their ultra-flat surfaces to cling together.

This is done when you're required to use two gauge blocks on order to match the measurable dimension. For example; 6.25 mm keyway width need to be measured, unfortunately there is no direct 6.25 mm slip gauge in our set. So you need to use multiple slips, I'll take 5 mm + 1.25 mm to ensure that there is no gap or minimum uncertainty vwringing is done by placing measuring face of one slip gauge on the measuring face of the other then by keeping one fixed and rotating the other with some force gives you a gripping bond between them. This process is called wringing.

@Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran • 26 Jan, 2020

The slip gauges were mainly used to qualify gauges that was used to inspect gaps,width,thickness,etc. The slip gauges were available in Many standard sizes. The required size can be attained by wringing two to three slips together.

For example,if i want to check a specification of 10.125

I can choose various options as follows,

1)slip (8+1.10+1.125)

2)slip(6+3.1+1.125)

To join the three slips, the slipsedges were pressed together and squeezed to make a temporary clubbing.similarly, third slip will be clubbed to the previously clubbed slip.

@Durgesh Srivastava • 31 Jan, 2020 • 1 like

When one slip gauge is placed over another, some air gap is present in between them.  This air gap will affect the accuracy of the measurement.  So we need to avoid this air gap.  The process of removal of air is called  wringing.

11.4k views

Related Posts

@VISHU2510 · Mar 25, 2013

I am having 2700 rank in GATE-2013 in Mechanical stream. So, I want to know what should i opt a new IIT or an old NIT. If any lower rank...
6.7k views

@zaveri · Jul 6, 2013

Well we all like chocolate, but only when they are freshly taken out from the refrigerator, and present as chilled solid bars. but once they are put in warm places,...
5.5k views

@Ankita Katdare · Jun 14, 2012

Here is a list of project ideas for projects of Electronics & Communication (Telecommunication) Engineers. Students belonging to third year or final year can use these projects as mini-projects as...
20.3k views

@vipandeep · Mar 21, 2011

There are two poles of equal height 15mts. One cable with length 16mts is hanging between that two poles. The height from center of the cable to earth is 7mts...
5.5k views

@Gurjap · Mar 11, 2012

You see, it was a cool movie I saw on TV when I was a little kid (Escape From Alcatraz). It had a really interesting scene in it: Frank (Clint...
5.5k views