hello dear friends!
can any one of you telll me wat wi-fi

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Satyajit
    hello dear friends!
    can any one of you telll me wat wi-fi
    Wi-Fi, in simplest terms, is wireless network. Wi-Fi is actually a brand of Wi Fi alliance.

A person with a wi-fi enabled device, can connect to the network within the area covered by the wi fi access points (also called as hotspots).

That should give you a basic idea about wi-fi.

-The Big K-
  • Satyajit
    Satyajit
    Hi Mr big_K can u tell me more about wi-fi?? THIS INFORMATION IS NOT ENOUGH FOR ME....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Satyajit
    Hi Mr big_K can u tell me more about wi-fi?? THIS INFORMATION IS NOT ENOUGH FOR ME....
    Sure, if you promise me not to use 'ALL CAPS' in your posts 😀 .

I'd love to write about wi-fi. I got following information from *How WiFi Works | HowStuffWorks

We'll start with a few WiFi basics. A wireless network uses #-Link-Snipped-#, just like #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-# and radios do. In fact, communication across a wireless network is a lot like two-way radio communication. Here's what happens:
    1. A computer's wireless adapter translates data into a radio signal and transmits it using an antenna.
    2. A wireless router receives the signal and decodes it. It sends the information to the Internet using a physical, wired #-Link-Snipped-# connection.
    The process also works in reverse, with the router receiving information from the Internet, translating it into a radio signal and sending it to the computer's wireless adapter.

The radios used for WiFi communication are very similar to the radios used for walkie-talkies, cell phones and other devices. They can transmit and receive radio waves, and they can convert #-Link-Snipped-# into radio waves and convert the radio waves back into 1s and 0s. But WiFi radios have a few notable differences from other radios:
    • They transmit at frequencies of 2.4 GHz or 5GHz. This frequency is considerably higher than the frequencies used for cell phones, walkie-talkies and televisions. The higher frequency allows the signal to carry more data.
    • They use 802.11 networking standards, which come in several flavors:
      • 802.11b was the first version to reach the marketplace. It's the slowest and least expensive standard, and it's becoming less common as faster standards become less expensive. 802.11b transmits in the 2.4 GHz frequency band of the #-Link-Snipped-#. It can handle up to 11 megabits of data per second, and it uses complimentary code keying (CCK) coding.
      • 802.11g also transmits at 2.4 GHz, but it's a lot faster than 802.11b - it can handle up to 54 megabits of data per second. 802.11g is faster because it uses orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing (OFDM), a more efficient coding technique.
      • 802.11a transmits at 5GHz and can move up to 54 megabits of data per second. It also and uses OFDM coding. Newer standards, like 802.11n, can be even faster than 802.11g. However, the 802.11n standard isn't yet final.
    • WiFi radios can transmit on any of three frequency bands. Or, they can "frequency hop" rapidly between the different bands. Frequency hopping helps reduce interference and lets multiple devices use the same wireless connection simultaneously.
    As long as they all have wireless adapters, several devices can use one router to connect to the Internet. This connection is convenient and virtually invisible, and it's fairly reliable. If the router fails or if too many people try to use high-bandwidth applications at the same time, however, users can experience interference or lose their connections.

More about wi-fi can be obtained from - Wi-Fi Alliance

I hope that was useful.

-The Big K-
  • Rocker
    Rocker
    If you have questions, please ask. I can help you.
  • msaadnegm
    msaadnegm
    thanks alot
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Just to mention, since 802.11b and 802.11g transmits at the 2.4GHz range, it can get affected by other devices that transmit at that frequency, such as cordless phones.

My uni experimented with the pre-n 802.11 wireless transmitters at the dorms, but it was pretty slow because none of the students have pre-n adapters, only the 802.11g ones. It created a lot of hype because they advertised speeds of 480Mbps. Unfortunately, to enjoy the speeds, youd have to purchase the expensive recievers 😔

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hye guys, I just joined in last friday. I got to know this forum from the search engine, at first glance it seems exciting and indeed it is. Im from...
I am trying to instal wndows media player 11 but it requires genuine xp... can it is possible to get genuine xp key in internet.... please reply mi...
CEans, The intent behind starting CE was to build a community of engineers who can change the world. Laugh at me, but that was the only intent. It is disheartening...
recently i read an article on engines that work on compressed air.ie.they use only air as fuel. these engines have so many advantages that some years from now,sureshot they are...
can anybody precisely explain the working of a heat amplifier?:roll: