What is time? [Waqt - a poem by Javed Akhtar]

A friend of mine shared this poem with me while I was in college. It was during the days when I read Stephen Hawking's 'A Brief History of Time'. In a way, I was enchanted by the concept of time and would read anything that was written about it on the Internet.

I think this is one of the cleverest poems by the grand lyricist and very less known.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    What do you guys think about the scientific concept being expressed in the poem?
    Could time be motionless?
    I also think that in a way the poem hints at parallel universe as well.

Really looking forward to read your thoughts on this. ЁЯША
  • saikrish87
    saikrish87
    Wow. Time a topic that could be discussed on and on with so many views and explanations.

I used to wonder about time during my college days when i studied calculus, about Einstein, relativity, black holes, worm holes and many more.. The human mind is tempted and curious on things that are mysterious and always search for the unknown..a masterpiece, an art or any best things one could imagine (provided it is used for the good).

We can approach to time by science, philosophy, art or any form and all leads to the one truth and one question." What is time? "

Various religion theories and science tells things events happening with the single most identity called time followed by others. When we dig deep into gravity, relativity we still find so many things that gravity bends time. So what is gravity? what about multi-dimensions , what about multi-universe?

When we go into the sub-atomic level, every thing is crazy and nothing seems to follow what follows at human level. When we see Rajini defies the laws of physics to fight some villains in a movie we wonder why he does such silly things and spoil the image of films in international level..But who knows at subatomic level there may be many Rajini behaving that way ЁЯШЙ Even in the galactic level the universe is so different. The origins of universe? was it a big bang? did time just start after that? what was before? or shouldn't i ask as Stephen Hawkins mentioned? where are we in time?

so i come back to this closed loop with my feedback as a final truth "What is time?"
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I agree with you.

I love this part of the poem:

рдХрднреА рдХрднреА рдореИрдВ рдпреЗ рд╕реЛрдЪрддрд╛ рд╣реВрдБ рдХрд┐ рдЪрд▓рддреА рдЧрд╛реЬреА рд╕реЗ рдкреЗрдбрд╝ рджреЗрдЦреЛ рддреЛ рдРрд╕рд╛ рд▓рдЧрддрд╛ рд╣реИ рджреВрд╕рд░реА рд╕рдВрдд рдЬрд╛ рд░рд╣реЗ рд╣реИрдВ
    Sometimes I think when I see trees from a moving train, it seems they go in the opposite way.
    рдордЧрд░ рд╣рдХреАрдХрдд рдореЗрдВ рдкреЗрдбрд╝ рдЕрдкрдиреА рдЬрдЧрд╣ рдЦреЬреЗ рд╣реИрдВ
    But in reality, the trees are standing still.
    рддреЛ рдХреНрдпрд╛ рдпреЗ рдореБрдордХрд┐рди рд╣реИ
    рд╕рд╛рд░реА рд╕рджрд┐рдпрд╛рдБ рдХрддрд╛рд░ рдЕрдиреНрджрд░ рдХрддрд╛рд░ рдЕрдкрдиреА рдЬрдЧрд╣ рдЦрдбрд╝реАрдВ рд╣реЛ
    So can it be, that all our centuries, row upon row, are standing still?
    рдпреЗ рд╡рдХрд╝реНрдд рд╕рд╛рдХрд┐рдд рд╣реЛ рдФрд░ рд╣рдо рд╣реА рдЧреБрдЬрд░ рд░рд╣реЗ рд╣реЛрдВ
    Can it be that time is fixed, and we alone are in motion?
  • saikrish87
    saikrish87
    Yes I heard this. Poem is very beautiful.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Recently , during my preparation for the GATE 2016 ,I came across a collection of solved previous years' papers provided by Made Easy. In the first chapter "Linear Algebra" ,...
As the big space research organisations across the world get ready to launch their upcoming missions, scientists are gearing up to better the existing technologies to support the spacecrafts in...
The Indian Institute of Technology will soon start offering medical courses. According to report published in Today's ET, IIT Kharagpur will soon start offering MBBS courses. The HRD ministry has...
I've been closely following the Indian entrepreneurship scene; with an aim to find out the trends. For example, what are the hottest domains for newbie entrepreneurs, which startups are getting...
Is this practical or lot of hot air? Quote: A combination of the U.S. Geological SurveyтАЩs ShakeAlert system, a magnetic-field architecture and a three-part building foundation system may enable buildings...