What is the meaning of life? :P

I'm curious to see what kind of answers i get with this ridiculously known question. I sense there will be several different responses. What do you believe to be the meaning of life?

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
  • K Vikrant
    K Vikrant
    Praveen-Kumar
    Isn't that from the movie/book - "Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy" ? Very droll response indeed. πŸ˜‰

ProdigiousJ
    I'm curious to see what kind of answers i get with this ridiculously known question. I sense there will be several different responses. What do you believe to be the meaning of life?
    By the question "what is meaning of life" , I assume the OP doesn't mean the question 'what is life'. For the two carry a different sense. The question 'what is life' usually attempts to answer how a living thing is different than a non-living one. Even this question is very hard to answer. Here is what Life has to say about it :-

Life (cf. Biota (Ecology)) is a characteristic that distinguishes Physical Body that have Biological Process (i.e., Organism) from those that do not, either because such functions have ceased (Death), or else because they lack such functions and are classified as inanimate - Wiktionary
    Now what classifies as life will have very strange answers. There will be some objects which we can be sure of as living such as human beings. But there are some objects about which we are not sure whether to call them life , for ex. a Hawking says computer virus is form of life: Susan Watts on a man-made menace that mirrors its namesake in Nature | The Independent | The Independent.

If the question 'what is life' is a vexed one , the question 'what is the meaning of life' is even more vexed.
    For it leads us into philosophy.By the 'meaning of life' is meant 'the ultimate purpose of life'

To answer the question - " what is the meaning of life ? " would be an onerous task as it is one question which has hounded the human race ever since it has been conscious. At various points of time , various explanations have been provided which have been a function of the state of human knowledge at that time. One only needs to look at the Meaning Of Life for this and one will notice that everyone ranging from philosophers, scientists to theologians seem to have their own take on the issue. Each individual will find some or the other (or none) of the answers satisfying depending on the individual's philosophical bent.

I would like to point out one problem associated with questions such as "ultimate cause" or "ultimate purpose". Assuming that all the events in the universe can be arranged more or less in a sequence, there are two roads that we can take. (the ultimate cause will be one which is first in the sequence, ultimate purpose will be one which is last in this sequence)
    1) infinite regress - There is no ultimate "cause" or "purpose". Each event will be accounted for by an earlier event and each event will be followed by another event.
    2) unaccounted entities - If one is to avoid infinite regress one has to settle with an event which is unaccounted for both at the beginning and the end of the series. Most theologians will answer this by calling this event/entity as God. What is the ultimate cause of the universe - God. Can we account for God's existence - no. What is the ulitmate purpose of our existence - That which is the will of God. What after the will of God is done - we can't answer that. Many philosophical schools will advocate that ultimate goal of a human being is to attain salvation/ moksha or some such thing. But one is apt to ask the question - what after we attain salvation. (Some people will point out that time itself is a product of the universe and time ceases to exist after salvation and hence such a question is rendered meaningless.)

So we see we will either have to settle for unaccounted entities or we have an infinite regress. And that is the prime reason why I believe that attempting to answer such a question is such a momentous task.
    Now I will log off and go and enjoy an empty-minded purposeless walk in the winter sunshine and not worry about this question. πŸ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The meaning of life?

My teacher taught me. But I forgot!
    Result=fail β˜•
    K Vikrant
    Isn't that from the movie/book - "Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy" ? Very droll response indeed. πŸ˜‰
    Yup, the same story! πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Life is a box of chocolates.
  • ProdigiousJ
    ProdigiousJ
    The_Big_K
    Life is a box of chocolates.
    "Ya never know wutch your gonna get." lol
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Ahh!
    Life is Forrest Gump. πŸ˜€

@K Vikrant,
    Can you explain your post in one-line? πŸ˜• πŸ˜”
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    ProdigiousJ
    Does #-Link-Snipped-# answer you? 😎
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    None Brutus, none. Except what you give it yourself. I am not born by my (whoever that 'I' is) choice. So I do not feel under any obligation. However, since one is alive one can as well have some fun doing something one considers to be meaningful. If it is also useful to others, that is icing on the cake.
    When the time time comes steal silently away like H.W.Longfellow's arabs.
    Quote:
    And the night shall be filled with music, ​
    And the cares, that infest the day, ​
    Shall fold their tents, like the Arabs, ​
    And as silently steal away. ​
    ​
    Endquote

[
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Whatever, Life is a hell with heavenly, ambitious and short living feelings.
    Saw this somewhere...
    Life Is Cells

People like to say, as if it were obvious, that life is hard to define. This is misleading. Life has properties that clearly distinguish it from everything else. First, every living thing is cellular. In other words, it is either a single-celled creature or a creature composed of many cells. Every cell is bounded by its own outer membrane and contains a full set of instructions necessary for its operation and reproduction. Furthermore, every cell uses the same operating system: "DNA makes RNA makes protein." DNA is a long complex molecule that contains the cell's instructions. It is transcribed into RNA, another long complex molecule similar to DNA; and then the RNA transcript is translated into protein. There are hundreds of billions of different proteins used by living things (3), but all of them are made from the same twenty amino acids, the "building blocks of life."
  • Shreyas Sule
    Shreyas Sule
    Life is walking alone....
    And finding someone at your side....Only to be left alone in the end.
    Life is being loved....And being able to love....Unconditionally.
    Life is recognizing your mistakes....So that you can accept them.
    Life is about dreams...
    Being strong enough to see them crash....And being stronger to...Dream again!
    Life is like a multifaceted diamond...
    From which kaleidoscope are you looking?
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    Don't search for the meaning of life in google or anything else....
    If you do so you will be wasting the time which god has given to you.
    Just live it.....πŸ˜€
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Life is a Life to Live 😁
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Sada
    Life is a Life to Live 😁
    Oh didn't know that! Awesome Philosophy! 😁
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Just pursue your dreams!!!!​
  • honeyclarck
    honeyclarck
    The meaning of life is to find it. And work for it.
  • Mugdha Vakil
    Mugdha Vakil
    Shreyas Sule
    Life is walking alone....
    And finding someone at your side....Only to be left alone in the end.
    Life is being loved....And being able to love....Unconditionally.
    Life is recognizing your mistakes....So that you can accept them.
    Life is about dreams...
    Being strong enough to see them crash....And being stronger to...Dream again!
    Life is like a multifaceted diamond...
    From which kaleidoscope are you looking?
    for me the answer to ur question is looking at all the positive aspects of ur watever u have quoted
  • Mugdha Vakil
    Mugdha Vakil
    Life is leaving in the present forgetting the past and not worrying much about the future!!!!!πŸ‘
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Life is full of music.
    it teaches us how to bare the pain.
  • Vivien.hugo
    Vivien.hugo
    Mugdha Vakil
    Life is leaving in the present forgetting the past and not worrying much about the future!!!!!πŸ‘
    Good attitude to life!
  • sahilmohindroo
    sahilmohindroo
    K Vikrant
    I would like to point out one problem associated with questions such as "ultimate cause" or "ultimate purpose". Assuming that all the events in the universe can be arranged more or less in a sequence, there are two roads that we can take. (the ultimate cause will be one which is first in the sequence, ultimate purpose will be one which is last in this sequence)
    1) infinite regress - There is no ultimate "cause" or "purpose". Each event will be accounted for by an earlier event and each event will be followed by another event.

As time is relative we cannot say that "all the events in the universe can be arranged more or less in a sequence".
  • animalanmol
    animalanmol
    Life is answering your question. The very question which you asked is the purpose in everyone's life. Through various activities everyone tries to answer the question. You have started on that path by finding the question. But everyone has a different answer and once you find the answer you will be supremely enlightened and extremely content.
  • madugula
    madugula
    You want the meaning of life?? πŸ˜‰
    Well its Whatever You want it to be!! πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello engineers...... i m making a robot for the robowars competitions and i need your help for selecting motors for motion and weapon. talking about the motion, which motor would...
Put about 100 bricks in some Particular order in a closed Room with an Open window. Then send 2 or 3 candidates in The room and close the door. Leave...
Plz help me to find particular integral for the following forced vibration eqn D2m +Dc +k =Fsin wt
The inexorable trend in electronics for the past four decades has been to do more with lessβ€”to make transistors ever smaller in order to squeeze more processing power into a...