What is the difference between Hibernet and Stand by

Hi Pals...

I am back...

I have a slight confusion if anyone can clear that .... that will be helpful...

What is the difference between Hibernet and stand by.??

--crazy

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm assuming that you are talking about hibernate & stand by feature of Windows XP Operating System 😁

Hibernate Mode:
    'Hibernate' feature was introduced in Windows XP. This feature allows you to dump all the contents of RAM (Random Access Memory) to the root directory of your hard disk. You can then switch off the machine. When restarted, Windows reloads the data.

Note that you'll need enough disk space (equal to the size of RAM) for this feature to work.

Stand by:
    Popularly known as 'sleep' mode. In 'Stand by' mode, Windows OS turns off non-essential hardware resouces such as hard disk, removable disks, monitor. This enables the system to reactivate quickly when user presses a key or opeartes the mouse. Note that you cannot power-off the system in 'Stand by' mode. This feature is used when the computer idle.

I hope this answers your question 😁

-The Big K-
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    One more difference -

In Standby, the laptop/desktop requires power to be in the mode.
    In Hibernate, once the machine is in that mode, it does not need any power.
  • desijays
    desijays
    In standby mode, the memory isn't written to root. Apparently, depending on the settings in the computer the user has the ability to turn of power consuming devices such as the hard disk, the display, GPU (Graphics Processing Unit ), NIC, wireless radios (bluetooth, wireless NIC ) and such devices. But whatever is in memory is still retained.

That is why, the computer is wakes up fairly quickly from a standby mode, compared to hibernate mode. if the computer is switched off, then the boot time is even longer. The only disadvantage of the standby mode is that very less power is consumed in this mode.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

clear my doubt :sshhh: please tell me how to avoid the problem of low virtual memory shown by windows while working with heavy softwares...............
Hi Friends I M New To This Group.so Hi Everybody!!:d
Hello CEans! Please use this template in your introduction - Introduction Template Version 1.1 Date: Nov 25, 2006. ​ Sections marked '*' are mandatory 😁 - Name: *Engineering Trade: Location:...
I will admit to being a fairly big fan of animated movies. Probably comes from the fact that I grew up with classic Chuck Jones (Roadrunner, et al) and Warner...
I think I can manage that. Don't expect me to take it too seriously, though... Name: Bruce Lane Engineering Trade: Electronics (specializing in RF and telecommunications). Occupation: Electronics engineering tech,...