What is the difference among moment, torque and couple?

In physics, torque can informally be thought of as "rotational force". The SI units for Torque are newton meters although centinewton meters, foot-pounds force (ft·lbf), inch pounds (lbf·in) and inch ounces (ozf·in) are also frequently used expressions of torque. The symbol for torque is τ, the Greek letter tau. The concept of torque, also called moment or couple, originated with the work of Archimedes on levers.

In physics, the moment of force (often just moment, though there are other quantities of that name such as moment of inertia) is a quantity that represents the magnitude of force applied to a rotational system at a distance from the axis of rotation. The concept of the moment arm, this characteristic distance, is key to the operation of the lever, pulley, gear, and most other simple machines capable of generating mechanical advantage. The SI unit for moment is the newton meter (Nm).

Moment = Magnitude of Force x Perpendicular distance to the pivot (Fd)

Replies

• Blv NAGABABU
    Blv NAGABABU
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • ogundele kehinde samuel
    ogundele kehinde samuel
    Pls, I still need more clearification about this three things.
    Thanks.
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    bhargav khanpara
    In physics, torque can informally be thought of as "rotational force". The SI units for Torque are newton meters although centinewton meters, foot-pounds force (ft·lbf), inch pounds (lbf·in) and inch ounces (ozf·in) are also frequently used expressions of torque. The symbol for torque is τ, the Greek letter tau. The concept of torque, also called moment or couple, originated with the work of Archimedes on levers.

In physics, the moment of force (often just moment, though there are other quantities of that name such as moment of inertia) is a quantity that represents the magnitude of force applied to a rotational system at a distance from the axis of rotation. The concept of the moment arm, this characteristic distance, is key to the operation of the lever, pulley, gear, and most other simple machines capable of generating mechanical advantage. The SI unit for moment is the newton meter (Nm).

Moment = Magnitude of Force x Perpendicular distance to the pivot (Fd)
    Moment - Static moment of some quantity, except the term "moment of inertia". Let us take a Steel I member. Two different types of moment takes place in the member there are "Major axis moment" & "Minor axis moment".

Torque - Its nothing but the "twisting or rotational moment". The cross product of a vector from some reference point to the point of application of the force with the force itself.

Couple - This is a force determined from the moment. (i.e.) Moment x lever arm
  • bhargav khanpara
    bhargav khanpara
    However, "torque" tends to be used when there is an axle or pivot to be turned around, while "moment" tends to be used in essentially non-rotational situations, such as analysis of forces on a beam.

Read more: Physics Forums | Science Articles, Homework Help, Discussion

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

V-Tex, also famous as the "reverse microwave" is the handy tool developed by UK-based Enviro-Cool Limited that can chill your beverages within seconds. It not only cools the drink, but...
i am good engineer . please let me know if any job for me ?
hello, i want to know is there any way to get placed through off campus while pursuing B.E.(Mechanical) in final year? plz tell what should i do?
please tell me how to do preparation for Mahindra Auto Quiz..
a)Derive a relation to find the critical pressure ratio in the case of isentropic flow. b)If the velocity distribution over a plate is given by u=(2/3)y-y^2 in which u is...