What is music?

what is actually music.??Is it a form of digital signals??How can we listen to music through headphones??😕

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Re: what is music

It would depend on the output/creation source. it could be digital(synthesizer, computer, etc) or mechanical (drums, guitar, trumpet,violin). All music is just the arrangement of sound pressure waves into a pleasing tone to the brain. headphone contain smal speakers. A speaker has a diaphram that vibrates to reproduce/mimic mechanically sound waves from an analog/digital source. Good discussion topic!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm not clear what's being asked. Music is just a name given to the 'sound'.
  • samaira
    samaira
    i know its just a name given to sound but in which form it is(in the form of 0's or i's/in the form of signal)when we listen to music through headphones via thin wires.
  • sookie
    sookie
    samaira
    i know its just a name given to sound but in which form it is(in the form of 0's or i's/in the form of signal)when we listen to music through headphones via thin wires.
    If I simply recall the 'Waves' chapter of my 11[sup]th[/sup] STD Physics book, music is sound waves that are pleasant to ears. Now sound waves being simply waves can be digital as well as analog. Analog waves don't have '0' or '1' form. They are some sin() or cos() functions form type waves but when they are stored in some digital media like computers or other devices then these analog devices are converted into digital. Digital means in the binary form of '0's or '1's where every 0 and 1 has some analogy to actual analog waves.

PS: Correct me if any wrong information shared.

Thanks !
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ....and these 0,1 are sent down as electrical pulses through the 'thin-wires' and these elctrical signals are converted into sound waves in the headfones.
    same as youe telephone handset
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Simply put, the music file that is on the computer is stored in a digital format, usually MP3. The sound card of your computer will convert this digital data into analog electrical signal as sookie mentioned. If it is a stereo sound card, the sound will be split in the Left Channel and Right Channel if the MP3 is also stereo.

This signal then travels along the wires into the headphone, which consist of the output transducers (i.e speaker) that converts the analog electrical signal into sound. Thus, the speaker will vibrate according to signal frequency (which determines pitch) and signal amplitude (which determines volume).

However, there are modern headphones that will use digital pulses along the wire (usually fibre optics) which allows you to listen to high quality sound 😀 However, your standard headphone will use analog.
  • samaira
    samaira
    😁thanks for the info
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well, lets do discuss the science behind what music is!

gohm and sookie mentioned that they are tones that are pleasing to the human brain. But what makes it pleasing? Is it the arrangement of sounds that trigger some hormone response like what chocolate does? 😛

In addition, does the type of music correlate to what type of person you are?
  • samaira
    samaira
    well let me think...............................................................................................................................Hmmm
    .....................................................................................................................................well actually i dont know the answer😛
    But i would surely like to know.Can anyone help😔
  • 4d1
    4d1
    samaira
    what is actually music.??Is it a form of digital signals??How can we listen to music through headphones??😕
    headphones are a pair of transducers that receive electrical signals from a media player or receiver. The headphone’s speakers convert these signals to sound waves that your ears can then hear. :music:
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Music is a organized sound 😀
  • skipper
    skipper
    The question is really asking about what we can classify as music.
    For instance "a sound library" can mean various things; "sampling" and sample libraries exist.

I have a sample library that has an extended "algebra", if I play the library (the machine reads all the pages for me) it sounds like a piano, or like a Rhodes piano if I switch libraries, or like a few other instruments. Is music "the sound of instruments, from a library"?
  • skipper
    skipper
    ..doubled up post
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    ash
    Well, lets do discuss the science behind what music is!

gohm and sookie mentioned that they are tones that are pleasing to the human brain. But what makes it pleasing? Is it the arrangement of sounds that trigger some hormone response like what chocolate does? 😛
    Um..,I think yes. If you closely observe Carnatic or Hindustani music, we can see that all the compositions follow specific rules laid down. The rules are called ragas. There are many technical terms the singers and composers use and I am sorry that I can not explain them(as I am not trained in it). But I am sure it is based on hormones. But still, I cannot give you proof for all that.

ash
    In addition, does the type of music correlate to what type of person you are?
    Just as we say beauty lies in our point of view, the music we like depends on many factors of humans, like their thinking ability, their character, even their educational qualifications(in a very few cases). It can reflect how mature you are. If its all this that describes what type of person you are, then yes, the type of music correlates to what type of person you are.
    Hope I am correct, if not, please let me know.
    Thank you.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

pseudo random binary sequence generator is said to have application in testing the noise immunity of the system.How does that work??
Can anyone tell me how to calculate pressure in a gas pipeline given that I know velocity flowrate density etc.. ?
On surfing the net suddenly my system is infected with spyware.. and it is not allowing me to surf the net..SUGGEST A GOOD ANTIVIRUS WHICH IS HELPFUL FOR BOTH SPYWARE...
Need articles for september 15th Engineers day..last date of submission August 25th ...Please give me suggestions..!
My project uses MATLAB to develop a Band-stop filter, type Butterworth to be spesific for vibration control of a flexible manipulator. My other two friends have also developed an equation...