What is load Runner?

Load Runner:

LoadRunner is a performance and Load Testing product by Hewlett Packard (since it acquired Mercury Interactive in November 2006) for examining system behaviour and performance, while generating actual load. LoadRunner can emulate hundreds or thousands of concurrent users to put the application through the rigors of real-life user loads, while collecting information from key infrastructure components (Web servers, database servers etc). The results can then be analysed in detail, to explore the reasons for particular behaviour.
Consider the client-side application for an Automated Teller Machine (ATM). Although each client is connected to a server, in total there may be hundreds of ATMs open to the public. There may be some peak times รข€” such as 10 a.m. Monday, the start of the work week รข€” during which the load is much higher than normal. In order to test such situations, it is not practical to have a Testbed of hundreds of ATMs. So, given an ATM simulator and a computer system with LoadRunner, one can simulate a large number of users accessing the server simultaneously. Once activities have been defined, they are repeatable. After debugging a problem in the application, managers can check whether the problem persists by reproducing the same situation, with the same type of user interaction.
Working in LoadRunner involves using three different tools which are part of LoadRunner. They are Virtual User Generator (VuGen), Controller and Analysis.

This is copied from wiki ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Now lets discuss on Vugen:

A Vugen is a part of LR where we can record the test we perform.
    As stated in the above example we will record the complete scenario of withdrawal of money from the ATM.

While we record it is obvious that we are hardcoding the values like ATM number , Pin number etc etc.

So inorder we have to create virtual users for this kind we perform Parameterization.

Parameterization: As the name suggests it is supplying multiple values to the parameter, for eg in the above example if we give the ATM Account numbers as XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX hard coded, we put it as a param naming it as ACC_NUM.
    We also parameterise the password corresponding to it.

We then add all the data in a .dat file .

In VUgen we have the possibility for re-running the script and checking for corelation.

What is corelation?
    This refers to the dynamic content in the page.
    a general example is the session id, we corelate it using regular expressions.
    Since session ID has most of the part common we put is as constant and we parameterise the rest.

Vugen is also used for Error Handling.

What is error handling?

** will post this after certain analysis**

Next topics will be about what is controller and what is Analysis??
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I am just 1 day old in working with Load Runner , Please post your suggestions , questions and experience on Load Runner in this thread.

I am happy to discuss , explain and learn from you guys!!!
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    LoadRunner works by creating virtual users who take the place of real users operating client software,
    such as Internet Explorer sending requests using the HTTP protocol to IIS or Apache web servers.
    [โ€‹IMG]

LoadRunner creates an output.mdb file to hold error messages.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Currently got stuck in corelation part of it.

Automatic corelation is easy but manual is difficult.

Using a already written function but no luck.

Will post my understanding soon.

For Automation Corelation we have to record the same scenario twice and enter Shift+F8 , automatically the corelation happens.

Its a best feature, but few of the details may be corelated which we dont need them to be ..
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Thanks for the info Mahesh ๐Ÿ˜€

Test scenario 1:

There is one application which has different features , logging , feature -A , Feature - B etc.

So I need to create a scenario where in different user does the different task at the same time.

This can be achieved using LR , I am not sure how to do it but can be done.

Will do analysis and will post the detailed method to do it soon.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Topic Regarding the input file in the LR:

We have the facility to give parameterised values to the application using LR.

We have a option called parameters.

Before we give something as a parameter , first we should create it as a parameter as In the second post I explained making parameters is the example given for making the account number and pin number as parameters.

Once you make the parameters take one param as a reference and assign the values for the same line to other parameters as well.

For eg. if we have ACCNO 1 parameter
    Password 2 parameter.

We take the base parameter as ACCNO and we provide the Password parameter as value from the same line of the ACCNO.

There is a option provided a little bit of hands on will make this thing easy.

Post your questions if any ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Good Updation ES,

ES - #-Link-Snipped-# This website will help you in learning the Load Runner.

@ Mahesh - have you worked on LR in past or its theoretical knowledge??

-CB
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    @ E-S- Hi See this link i think it will help you
    LoadRunner tutorials ๐Ÿ˜Ž

@crazyboy- ya but currently working on Oracle 9i๐Ÿ˜›
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Thanks for the links CB and Mahesh !!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Now I am trying out multiple tasks in load runner controller.

The process is ..

Open the controller.

Pull all the scripts which are already generated .

Then click on scenario.

I am stuck in no of users, if I try with stop after execution its just executing the number of users I give.

I mean if I give input as start 2 users and 1 user for every 5 sec..

Stop the scenario after the test run.

Its doing this ..

Its executing the scenario for the number of users by the number I started the test and stopping.

Its not adding users after 5 sec ๐Ÿ˜”

Am I clear??
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Guys I am facing a problem now.

The issue is I am recording the script on a webapplication the protocol is HTTP.

What happens is the LR is recording the data entry operations but if I play back the script it is giving an error saying the page is unavailable.

I am not even adding the users.

I am facing the error while entering the data itself.

If some one has any idea please share..
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Guys ,

I have resolved the above stated issue.

The issue is due to for every iteration there is a new number called Token is getting generated , I didnt look at it.

By performing Auto Correlation my task is done.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    My task is done using LR ๐Ÿ˜€

I have one new question for you guys!!

The task is as follows , You have a excel sheet with say some 1000 records.
    Each record corresponds to different person (say)
    You have records as below.
    name age mathsmarks sciencemarks
    sandy 24 100 60

So you have round 1000 records , you have a mechanism to upload the complete excel into your application.
    There are two processes ,
    1. checking the excel for normal errors , like marks containing characters , name containing some special characters.etc etc.
    once all these errors are resolved you get a message Upload is successful.

So I have the scenario in Load Testing for the same , I have uploaded some 10 files with 1000 records each and noted the time it taken to validate the errors and give the message.

the second checking process is
    2. It checks for the valid names , if they are present their page is populated with the marks given from the excel , this is done through backend.

So Now how can i load test the above scenario??

The time it takes to process all the 1000 records of a file i mean the time it takes to populate the marks of all the students?

I have an answer to keep on checking the application for the updated marks , but for 1000 records it processes asyncronously such that we are not sure whether the last one will be populated last??

There are few more issues like , if the student is viewing his page at the time of upload there is lock from the student end, such that the marks will be in the queue and they will be processed once the student logs out.

So Is there any way to test the above scenario using LR??

Or are there any tools available to test the time taken by the code to complete the operation??

Any questions please post, I will answer them on monday!!

Let me know if you faced similar kind of situation anytime.

thanks!!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Guys any idea on this???
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Just an update we can write sql queries and find the time.

So I will be checking in that direction!!!

Should get some progress by tomorrow EOD.

Will let you guys!!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The task is done , just writing sql outside not through load runner.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Guys check this #-Link-Snipped-#

Some webinar on loadtesting ๐Ÿ˜€

Check it , its today from 11.30 PM to 12.30 AM so guys if some one has a chance to attend it let me know ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, Anyone here knows how to change database character encoding. Say I wish to convert any of the current character encoding to UTF-8? Is there a simple method to do...
Pls provide details on HONNING PROCESS in mechanical engg. in detail. :thanks:
Could someone please post some interesting project ideas on Envoronmental $ Biosystems engineering .
CEans, Tata Motors are launching their latest sedan - Tata Manza in next few days. Anyone here's got more information about Tata Manza? Do post latest updates, news about Tata...
We aren't the deciding authorities, but we can surely debate on the topic. Get started, folks. News Source: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize for 2009 - Yahoo! India News