What is FTP Host and how it works ?

Hello friends,

want to know more about FTP Host and how it works. Can anyone explain it in easy way.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    FTP server is just like a web server which opens port a port on host computer and allow clients to access to files of host machine, just like when a web server respond HTTP protocol.
    Usually by default port is 21.
    FPT is vastly used in secure file transfer in organizations and almost all file hosting sites use it.
    You can set up a simple FTP host using FileZilla and client machine can access those files using any simple Textpad or notepad++ utility.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Assume, you are living thousands kms away, & we gotta transfer files then FTP is most probably used.

Consider filezilla here, you wanna share a large file, so you'll prolly make an account in filezilla & will upload the content in server.Now like website you have to provide me an address & a password to access & download your uploaded content.
    Filezilla also provides AutoFTP manager which will remove/add/modify in server as you perform in your computer automatically.In short, if you are using autoftp & you deleted the files, it will be deleted automatically in server.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Any more detail about FTP protocol ?
    Like there is TCP/IP protocol so I think FTP is following same. But there may be some additional.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Basically it works on TCP based protocol (Connected).
    but flexibility allows FTP to works over TCP/ip (connectionless) protocols also.
    Here is #-Link-Snipped-#
    What is RFC 959: File Transfer Protocol
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    ianoop
    Basically it works on TCP based protocol (Connected).
    but flexibility allows FTP to works over TCP/ip (connectionless) protocols also.
    Here is #-Link-Snipped-#
    What is RFC 959: File Transfer Protocol
    I have question regarding difference between TCP and IP.

TCP/IP uses both TCP as well IP while in FTP we can use only IP right?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    godfather
    I have question regarding difference between TCP and IP.

TCP/IP uses both TCP as well IP while in FTP we can use only IP right?
    IP is interchange name of TCP/IP.
    In TCP/IP , IP handles encapsulation of link and data. while TCP handles data packets between application.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Ok Thanks for clearing some of my doubts #-Link-Snipped-#.
    Now I want to know is there any Open Source FTP Client or FTP server application?
    What I want basically is that what kind of functions we need to implement if we want to develop our own FTP client or server?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Many open source FTP apps are available.
    Nautilus, gftp, Filezilla, Ftpbox ... list goes on...

How to set up your own FTP?
    Seriously no idea, but I has one link
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    check it out.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Troll_So_Hard
    Many open source FTP apps are available.
    Nautilus, gftp, Filezilla, Ftpbox ... list goes on...

How to set up your own FTP?
    Seriously no idea, but I has one link
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    check it out.
    This is application that allows to use FTP server. what exactly I want to know is what are the commands they are sending when ever you are using the same application.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I don't think you can know those codes.Every client has been developed in an unique way.Even though it is open Source FTP server, certainly there is no Open source codes available for FTP servers which you can use for your own.(for security reasons they never share those codes)

Have you tried contacting open source FTP server devs? This will sound weird, but just try once, if you're lucky then they will surely answer all your doubts.Yeah, Open source devs are that humble.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Troll_So_Hard
    I don't think you can know those codes.Every client has been developed in an unique way.Even though it is open Source FTP server, certainly there is no Open source codes available for FTP servers which you can use for your own.(for security reasons they never share those codes)

Have you tried contacting open source FTP server devs? This will sound weird, but just try once, if you're lucky then they will surely answer all your doubts.Yeah, Open source devs are that humble.
    As there are so many FTP server client application so it should be available in some basic format.

someone who knows very basic about Protocol system can surely tell us which basic command is going to be used by all such applications.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Maybe #-Link-Snipped-# mam can help you then.

Me soo noob in networking 😛
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Troll_So_Hard
    Maybe #-Link-Snipped-# mam can help you then.

Me soo noob in networking 😛
    Same here. Waiting for some core information. 😀
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ok..
    can i know the purpose??
    For example - if you are trying to transfer only smaller files - you can use TFTP.
    There are free software provided by Solar winds.
    Else, ftp can be run with basic commands too. except that the destination device needs to be enabled on the server end to.
    Below, is a simulated set up :Hope you get an idea

conf on server
    [​IMG]

ftp from computer
    [​IMG]
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    #-Link-Snipped-# Thanks.

Actually I want to implement TCP/IP stack as well as FTP client on Microcontroller. My board is able to make connection with USB Modem so now I want to implement same application as we are using on PC in my Board (on my microcontroller)

That's why I want to know about some internal protocol about FTP.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can anybody tell how to make an editor in java or groovy?
Few days ago I build a new PC and wondering to get a keyboard with media-keys or not. Finally I got a plain Logitech keyboard. Then while searching to configure...
I stumbled upon DrJava which is a simple Java development environment for students. DrJava seems to be quite popular development environment for students and has reached over a million downloads...
The wave of IT jobs started sometime around the end of the last century and has lasted for a long time. IT jobs became a rage in India and engineers...
Well, there are plenty of posts in "entrepreneurship" section that I would like to access anytime I want, I hate searching 'em again & again. So, how about having an...