How to run single Operating system by using more then one Desktop computer?

From my childhood I have an idea to combine more then one old desktop by some method to run single operating system. through this I want get more efficiency speed and memory by combining these desktop. Please tell me is it possible or not?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've a hunch that you're basically talking about cloud computing. You've several computers connected with each other and a 'virtualisation' software that makes it appear as 'one' computer. You can one or more operating systems on the top of it. So, yes it's possible through virtualisation.
  • Scorpion007
    Scorpion007
    The_Big_K
    I've a hunch that you're basically talking about cloud computing. You've several computers connected with each other and a 'virtualisation' software that makes it appear as 'one' computer. You can one or more operating systems on the top of it. So, yes it's possible through virtualisation.
    if i have two desktop of 2.0 Ghz processor speed each.Using your cloud computing idea can I get combined speed 4.0 Ghz
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It won't add up like that, the overall idea is to cover the layer of several physical machines with a virtualisation software and then create individual computers on the top of it. So you might be able to get slightly more than 2 GHz, if you can built an efficient virtualisation software.

But I'm thinking more in a traditional way. I'm sure the computer experts here will have a lot better ideas.
  • Scorpion007
    Scorpion007
    The_Big_K
    It won't add up like that, the overall idea is to cover the layer of several physical machines with a virtualisation software and then create individual computers on the top of it. So you might be able to get slightly more than 2 GHz, if you can built an efficient virtualisation software.

But I'm thinking more in a traditional way. I'm sure the computer experts here will have a lot better ideas.
    thanks I need more detail
  • Scorpion007
    Scorpion007
    Please help if some one have ideas regarding this matter
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Scorpion007
    thanks I need more detail
    Have you looked for information on virtualisation and cloud computing? Check it out and tell me if you're proposing the same thing or you've completely different idea in your mind. I'm sure it's going to be an interesting discussion.
  • Scorpion007
    Scorpion007
    The_Big_K
    Have you looked for information on virtualisation and cloud computing? Check it out and tell me if you're proposing the same thing or you've completely different idea in your mind. I'm sure it's going to be an interesting discussion.
    I think it is less concerning with cloud computing. I wana to combine physically computer's hardware of different desktop(May be old) of different configuration to make them one single power full computer it is possible ??
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Parallel processing is not so popular cos you need an interface to search for the file This file search is longer as serial searching can be started only at a single point.

This reduces the processors effective speed. So they introduce interfaces to control and a buffer to store the location of frequently used files. This occupies a large space as a form of Database is used to store the files location

Electronically Giving a supply of same magnitude and phase to the mother boards is a bit tedious and so this is not advisable But you can give it a go and post its result

PS: Do note supply to both the CPU's must be from the same outlet otherwise both the boards will be fried

PSS: Ground terminals of both the CPU's must be shorted Before carrying out trial otherwise trouble is at stake

PSSS: In short with out knowing hardware throughly don't venture into this
  • Scorpion007
    Scorpion007
    Conqueror
    Parallel processing is not so popular cos you need an interface to search for the file This file search is longer as serial searching can be started only at a single point.

This reduces the processors effective speed. So they introduce interfaces to control and a buffer to store the location of frequently used files. This occupies a large space as a form of Database is used to store the files location

Electronically Giving a supply of same magnitude and phase to the mother boards is a bit tedious and so this is not advisable But you can give it a go and post its result

PS: Do note supply to both the CPU's must be from the same outlet otherwise both the boards will be fried

PSS: Ground terminals of both the CPU's must be shorted Before carrying out trial otherwise trouble is at stake

PSSS: In short with out knowing hardware throughly don't venture into this
    Sorry sir I don't really got your point can you explain. first How can I connect physically two Desktop 's motherboard.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Is it Possible to use Two Motherboards? | TechSpot Forums

Googling is more helpful Cos I ain't got pictures

Just search and post some things you hit on

PS: I could not find any reliable sources so I am not 100% into this
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    There is a reason why single core,dual core,quad core & maybe octet cores are available.
    Many have thought of this,some might've tried & ended up blasting the FETs.
    If you can design a Motherboard with two CPUs,alongwith proper mounting of Northbridge & adequate power consumption then it might be possible.
    There's a way i think,you have to code a kernel & gotta distribute specific tasks to each cpu.BIOS triggers the kernel & assigns all the further hardware control to it.

Like I said in beginning of this post,why we need more than 1 CPU in single motherboard ?
    But anyhow if you success in this process,it will be an invention & you might see gamers connecting 2 quad core processors in a motherboard with 3x gfx card mounted in SLI,now that computer will run 15x times faster than current high end OCed system.
    But question arises in power consumption,it is possible for MoBo to handle this much of load ?

This is interesting 😀
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    I have done quite a bit of work in cloud computing and though I agree with almost all of what Biggie said earlier, I think adding up of 2+2 ghz of memory may get us closer to almost 4 ghz if done the proper way and using proper technique. Obviously there would be some loss due to the manipulation but the cloud data centres are more or less literally adding memories and speed of computers up by using virtualisation. I may be having the wrong idea, so I would like someone to correct me if I am wrong.

I always had an idea about combining different internet networks into one superior one ( I had asked it on this forum itself a long time ago) and then it wasn't possible I guess, or maybe we were unaware of it then. But a few days ago I saw an advertisement for some product or software which claimed to add up internet networks of variable speeds and give a superior network of a higher speed. i.e. for eg, combine two different wireless networks of 1mbps each and give out a network of 2mbps. I will post the link if I find that one. I guess I was sleepy when I was looking at it and was careless to leave the topic aside to be read later😔
  • Scorpion007
    Scorpion007
    optimystix
    I have done quite a bit of work in cloud computing and though I agree with almost all of what Biggie said earlier, I think adding up of 2+2 ghz of memory may get us closer to almost 4 ghz if done the proper way and using proper technique. Obviously there would be some loss due to the manipulation but the cloud data centres are more or less literally adding memories and speed of computers up by using virtualisation. I may be having the wrong idea, so I would like someone to correct me if I am wrong.

I always had an idea about combining different internet networks into one superior one ( I had asked it on this forum itself a long time ago) and then it wasn't possible I guess, or maybe we were unaware of it then. But a few days ago I saw an advertisement for some product or software which claimed to add up internet networks of variable speeds and give a superior network of a higher speed. i.e. for eg, combine two different wireless networks of 1mbps each and give out a network of 2mbps. I will post the link if I find that one. I guess I was sleepy when I was looking at it and was careless to leave the topic aside to be read later😔
    oh it is really😔😔 sad
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    Scorpion007
    oh it is really😔😔 sad
    Here it is, I noticed this while I visited site for downloading Connectify. Ive been using Connectify Hotspot for over a year now but I noticed their Dispatch software which was added recently and does what I mentioned above. #-Link-Snipped-#.
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    I don't understand why the discussion of two desktops morphed into cloud computing and multiple cores. Most window managers or desktop environments in Linux give you multiple desktops regardless of whether you have multiple cores or clouds or not.

For example, right now I'm running the openbox.org windows manager on Arch Linux. Desktop 1 is pretty full, with 8 open windows. But I can press CTR-ALT-right (right arrow) to go to desktop 2 where I currently don't have any windows open. And I can move the current window over there by pressing SHIFT-ALT-right. The very popular #-Link-Snipped-# desktop environment works the same.

When I find myself bouncing back and forth between two or more different projects, I keep all the stuff for each project on it's own desktop. Is that what you had in mind?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    KenJackson
    I don't understand why the discussion of two desktops morphed into cloud computing and multiple cores. Most window managers or desktop environments in Linux give you multiple desktops regardless of whether you have multiple cores or clouds or not.

For example, right now I'm running the openbox.org windows manager on Arch Linux. Desktop 1 is pretty full, with 8 open windows. But I can press CTR-ALT-right (right arrow) to go to desktop 2 where I currently don't have any windows open. And I can move the current window over there by pressing SHIFT-ALT-right. The very popular #-Link-Snipped-# desktop environment works the same.

When I find myself bouncing back and forth between two or more different projects, I keep all the stuff for each project on it's own desktop. Is that what you had in mind?
    I think his target is to achieve more processing power .
    Consider,motherboards are resistors-connecting two resistors together gives total resistance as R1+R2 which is > R1 & R2 alone.
    I think OP wanna do same thing connecting two or more MoBos to run single OS for faster performance.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to know about introducing credit card sysytem sir please tell me how can i ask someone help personally? actually i want to ask help for my projects so...
Here's an interesting question I stumbled upon on the Internet - write the most unique things you can do in India but not elsewhere in the world. Can you think...
Imagine that CrazyEngineers is looking for really talented engineers - just out of college or with some experience to work on some really interesting projects that requires engineers from all...
When Biggie was recruiting bloggers for VoiCE, he came across lot of people who wanted to help, but couldn't. Before I tell you what all awesome things you can do,...
Found this interesting & motivating infographic that tells you how many tries it takes before you succeed. What I'm interested in knowing is have you ever tried 'continuously', without giving...