What is Earth Potential?

I am a graduating electrical engineer. and I was asked this question in Viva - What Do you Mean By Earth Potential? I am pretty clueless about it. Please can someone explain this term?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    When large amounts of current flows into the ground, then the potential at the point where it enters the ground is different from a distant reference point. It's highest at the point of entry and gradually fades away towards the reference point. It's also called as the earth potential rise.

This would be more clear once you realize that even the Earth is basically a 'reference' in Electrical engineering. For practical purposes, we tend to consider 'Earth' as a very large body that is at a 'zero' (but it's actually just for the sake of reference) potential for calculations.
  • krishna c.r.
    krishna c.r.
    Earth is usually idealized as an infinite source or sink for charge, which can absorb an unlimited amount of current without changing its potential. Where a real ground connection has a significant resistance, the approximation of zero potential is no longer valid. stray voltages or earth potential rise will effect
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Earth is mother of all charge

you may know "Energy not be created but can be transformed " This holds good here pal

And if it has to be satisfied we have to prove that the charges are not created any where but are drawn from the earth

This implies the Earth after losing some charges gains potential called as earth's potential

this is an universal constant
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    Exactly jeffrey samuel.i agree with him..earth is an Equi potential place.so its a very big gaining of charge potential,when we touched phase of ac main then we will acts as medium to pass the charges towards earth that's why earth is called as a very potential to take charges. so earth potential is a magic.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Logic filled magic here Pal

Never play with AC supply bare foot and plain ground you may feel the harsher touch of the earth's potential
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    yes its exactly my pal...
  • LEO GEORGE
    LEO GEORGE
    why birds not getting electric shock while they sitting on electric lines & sometimes they get .
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    LEO GEORGE
    why birds not getting electric shock while they sitting on electric lines & sometimes they get .
    Its due to the fact that they never touch the other wire or ground. They never complete the circuit. There are two wires, live and neutral. If you just touch live wire while floating in air, it will not do anything since you are effectively just high impedance and current will not flow through your body. The moment you touch other wire or ground, you will get a shock because you will fulfill the criteria for current flow i.e. you will connect a high potential with low potential.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

helo guys, myself studying in third year in computer science in mumbai !! came accross this site and couldnt restrict myself from joining one!!😀 Real helpful site specially for the...
A tutorial on this (literally) old Timer seems too elementary. However, I still use some of the oldest circuits with discrete transistors in very sophisticated applications to suit other compulsions...
Altitute Control System- wated noted on this..i tried on net but gettting attitude control system and not altitude....can anyone get me Altitute Control System ?? thanks alot
The iMacs ship with what Apple calls a Magic Mouse. Now the only issue with the Magic Mouse is that it's got no magical battery life. I've been performing various...
Technovanza is the Annual Technomanagement Event organized by VJTI.Technovanza is the largest Technomanagement festival in Maharashtra.Our aim 'Taking Technology to the Society' has been hugely successful for the past 12...