What is absolute stress??

As the question asked, what is absolute stress? something about strength/mechanics of material im guessing.

Below is a part of a question that i am supposed to answer.

[​IMG]

Replies

• skipper
    skipper
    I would say it means the stress limit, for safety limit of the construction.

Do the requirements mean that a 20mm section can't bend more than 2mm vertically? If so you can apply a fixed solution then find a material that fits in the volume and satisfies the 200MPa requirement.
  • aztechmayhem
    aztechmayhem
    So is it simply just sigma=F/A ?

i just included the question on my 1st post. Have a look
  • skipper
    skipper
    Truss

might be a starting point...
  • aztechmayhem
    aztechmayhem
    I know what a truss is, i just don't know what is absolute stress. I've been searching books and the internet, still cant find it. Thanks anyway.
  • skipper
    skipper
    Well, there is no such thing for starters; I would say it's a term used to mean the point of failure for a structure - the absolute stress limit.
    If instead you leave out the word "absolute", then it says: "the stress limit".
  • aztechmayhem
    aztechmayhem
    Ok, I would go with that. So now im going forward with stress = F/A, I'm going to see my lecturer afterwards. Hope i get it right 😀
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    The Absolute stress mentioned is the Maximum Permissible Stress of the material, including the Factor Of Safety for the design.

It means that for the given load the dimensions you choose for the structure must be such that the total force perunit area of the tubes must not exceed 200 MPa limit.

And this must be done keeping the value of diameter D and thickness t such that the structure bears the load as well as the value of D and t do not be less than 20mm and 1mm respectiely.

So first calculate the stresses in each memebers for the given oads and the maximum deflection given. Then go in for the dimensions of the tubes so as to satisfy both, the Maximum Permissible Stress and the Minimum Dimensions of D and t that will allow the Stress in permissible ranges keeping the volume of the tubes the lowest, simultaneously.
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    It's a maximum permissible stress that a material can withstand.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey guys. I am Electrical engg. 2009 pass out. M placed in Infosys but the joining is late in feb... i has currently taken the CET test for admission in...
This thread is for people looking for online learning resources, to supplement their course books. I will only be posting links of websites that let you browse through their entire...
Hi, I'm thinking that u all are from India. I'd like to know that there are people from other countries 😀. BTW I'm from Malaysia.
Dear all, I am working as a freelance Consultant in feild of Electrical. I provide services for Low Tension Switchgear Product ( Fusegear, controlgear and Circuit Breaker ) and my...
Hey! I have been given a task to parse the DHCP log file. My seniors have told me to construct a lexical parser using regex coach. I have done some...