What is a catastrophic failure?

What is a catastrophic failure? Why a design engineer should consider it as the greatest failure?what might be the causes for such failure?what measures can be taken to avoid or atleast to delay such a failure to occur? please answer these questions in brief.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've merged your last post with the first post in the thread 😀
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I searched for it and learned a lot.So I want to share with fellow CEans.

Definition:sudden failure,breakdown,collapse,complete failure .
    common causes:
    #human factors(improper handling)
    #design flaws,
    #material failures,
    #Extreme working conditions,
    #carelessness
    #not depth in subject knowledge

Efforts required to avoid catastrophic failures:
    #thorough analysis(use modern day softwares to simulate the working conditions.)
    #learn from your experience and learn from past history.
    #find root cause of problem and find alternatives.
    #Evaluate the alternatives.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    I will give an example:

you are driving your car at a high speed, and when you want to stop or slow down, you hit the brake pedal, and whoa ! nothing happens !

what happens after that you can imagine for yourself.

the failure of the brakes in this case is an example of catastrophic failure.
  • Rajkiran Sangoju
    Rajkiran Sangoju
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've merged your last post with the first post in the thread 😀
    thanks😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Does any person have details about toxic mildew? I think I might have a problem.
Engineers at MIT have succeeded in developing an all-optical transistor that uses light instead of electricity to perform computing. Think of it as a switch that can be turned on...
On 4th of July, United States's Independence day Samsung released 26x optical zoom camera, WB110 with 22.3 mm wide angle lens.​ ​Samsung WB110 features :​- 26x Optical Zoom lens​- Dual...
Say hello to 'Water Chip' that takes an entirely different approach to desalination. The chip has been developed by chemists at the University Of Texas at Austin and University of...
Can it feed Audi Lovers? Audi has made its footmark in automobile industry with a classy and stylish coupe variant. Head of Audi India Mr.Michael Perschke has revealed the Audi...