What happens to electricity when nothing is plugged into an outlet?

people, i had this question in my head since years but never attempted to seek an answer until recently i saw a similar question in a MIT website.. Any thoughts?
also, can we consider this as a form of storing energy?

Replies

• Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Electricity in the form of current flows from high potential to low potential. So when these two points are not connected i.e. nothing is plugged, electricity is maintained as potential difference.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    There will always be a difference in potential between the two points But NO CURRENT will flow between the points
  • prashanth463
    prashanth463
    nothing happens, the electrons just waiting for a conducting medium to reach ground/other terminal
  • vibhor_one
    vibhor_one
    if there is no buyer then no seller
  • mallumatmari
    mallumatmari
    It will be like no load condition of transformer, some energy is required to maintain potential difference.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    mallumatmari
    It will be like no load condition of transformer, some energy is required to maintain potential difference.
    Practically, that's not correct. Primary winding of transformer doesn't have zero resistance. Hence, power is consumed by a transformer even if there is no load - the reason it's advised not to leave your charger( or any device using transformer) plugged into socket after charging is done.
  • mallumatmari
    mallumatmari
    Anand Tamariya
    Practically, that's not correct. Primary winding of transformer doesn't have zero resistance. Hence, power is consumed by a transformer even if there is no load - the reason it's advised not to leave your charger( or any device using transformer) plugged into socket after charging is done.
    what i mean is even after
    consider primary winding resistance as 0, we need continuous supply of AC Input for maintaining potential difference.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Steam stop valve is eased of its seat during boiler start up from cold A. To allow thermal expansion of parts B. To allow steam flow during start up C....
Hi guys!! Its time to worm up with your knowledge about oracle functions...
I am b T ech Mechanical graduated in 2012 .. I appeared fro Gate 2013 .. It was not that good .. but I am expecting some NIT for M...
How to crack a technical interview .. ? cause sometimes you are bombarded with questions from any part of mechanical engineering .. be it thermal fluid ..design .. production .....
Hey! i have make solar tracker and that solar energy i stored in dc battery but is there any way to increase the efficiency of solar panel. There are some...