What happens if the laptop is left charging after it's fully charged?

I just bought a laptop and I've heard that leaving a laptop charging even after being fully charged damages the battery???? is it really true?????

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    computer.howstuffworks.com/laptop-battery-overcharged.htm

The above stated website gives you a clear idea on lap top bayyery overcharging.
    They state that lithiun-ion batteries dont have problem of overcharging as they have a internal circuit to stop it but nickel cadmium and older batteries tend to overheat after many cycles of usage.
  • dhruba sunuwar
    dhruba sunuwar
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    computer.howstuffworks.com/laptop-battery-overcharged.htm

The above stated website gives you a clear idea on lap top bayyery overcharging.
    They state that lithiun-ion batteries dont have problem of overcharging as they have a internal circuit to stop it but nickel cadmium and older batteries tend to overheat after many cycles of usage.
    what kinds of battries do laptops these days made up, lithium-ion o cadmium???
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    dhruba sunuwar
    what kinds of battries do laptops these days made up, lithium-ion o cadmium???
    Check that on the battery you're using for your laptop. Or else search the model of your laptop online to know the type of battery.

I mostly use my laptop on continuous charging. I've a Lithium ion battery for my Sony Vaio SVE14A15, and there're no issues. Of-course battery tends to degrade after 3 years or so depending on how often you plug in and out the charger (i.e. your use).
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Most of the modern laptops prefer lithium ion batteties due to their better capacities and less mainrenance.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    It's goona explode bro.. just run away 😲 ..

Laptops have UPS functionality whether li-ion or xyz battery it doesn't matter. It depends on built-in UPS circuit which determines charge/overcharge or just keep idle after full charge.
    Laptops are made to keep using on power source for optimal performance. Otherwise your battery will die quickly in this charging/discharging cycle.

Just think, you have a good inverter in your home. Does it overcharge the battery (see the indicator when it is charging) and after charging that light goes off.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I have left the laptop connected to the charger a lot of times! It is almost always because people forget to disconnect. And I've realized that over time users shorten the lifespan of their batteries by doing this.

From what I am reading the battery charging bit of a modern laptop detects when the battery is fully charged and stops the charging process. This means that, even though you have the power supply attached, the battery is no longer charging, but the laptop is running on mains power, and not the battery.

Not sure how true this is for different laptop models. Can someone confirm?
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Ankita Katdare
    when the battery is fully charged and stops the charging process. This means that, even though you have the power supply attached, the battery is no longer charging, but the laptop is running on mains power, and not the battery.

Yp ! that's exactly how it works. It Follows the UPS (The one which we use @ our Home/ Office) Principle.
  • vyom max
    vyom max
    To prolonged lifetime of battery stop repetative charging attempts.

Let it drain upto 90% then charge to 100%
    Stop smaller charging intervals (if possible)

Applicable to even mobiles also.

** it is believed so...haven't read any proof.**

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, Thanks a lot for this amazing forum, though I just joined this forum, but I can tell that the torrent of various topics are going to help in some...
Olympus has officially launched the new Stylus SH-1 camera. It features a 16 megapixel BSI CMOS Sensor and 5 Axis image and video stabilisation. Along comes 24x Optical Zoom and...
One of India’s potential smartphone makers, iBall has launched Andi 5T Cobalt 2, a successor to the company’s Cobalt iBall Andi 4.7G Cobalt which was released last year. The all-new...
Budgie Desktop has reached to version 2.0 recently. Budgie, the Mutter based desktop environment looks similar to that of ChromeOS that is shipped only in Chromebooks. Unlike other DE it...
hi everyone... em frm pakistan electrical+electronics engineer.......... I joined it to gain knowledge abt the new technologies & to share upcoming events ! hope everyone here will free to discuss.....