What does 'Polar' stand for in PSLV aka Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle?

I'm curious to know what does Polar stand for in PSLV - the launch system ISRO has developed to launch satellites into their respective orbits. I tried searching for clues on official wikipedia pages and also on a few forums, but looks like no one has answered the question.

If anyone knows the details, please share them below.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Google 'Sun-synchronous orbit.'
    (PSLV launches remote sensing sats into sun synchronous orbits while GSLV launches Sats into Geostaticorbit)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    Google 'Sun-synchronous orbit.'
    (PSLV launches remote sensing sats into sun synchronous orbits while GSLV launches Sats into Geostaticorbit)
    So is it a launch vehicle that puts the satellite into the orbit that extends between the two poles (north & south)? ☕
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Kaustubh Katdare
    So is it a launch vehicle that puts the satellite into the orbit that extends between the two poles (north & south)? ☕
    Yeah, u are correct.
    And Sun-Synchronous orbit means that the satellite crosses the same point again and again, at the same time each turn. So it helps in scanning fixed area at the same time of each day.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is Business intelligence
The world’s thinnest 17” gaming laptops have arrived. The American computer manufacturer, Maingear launched the Pulse 17 laptops yesterday. The gaming notebook weighing less than 6 lbs is sure to...
The Ministry of External Affairs or the MEA is expanding the platform for its mobile app for applying for passport in India. Following the Android unveiling, with the launch of...
Hello dear reader, This is my 2nd Post/thread. Please have a look at the pictures of our new product that we are launching very soon. Digital Energy Meters with RS485...
ZTE has today launched a new Android smartphone called the ZTE Grand S Flex in Europe. Making the phone available in Spain, Czech Republic and Slovakia followed by Germany, Finland...