Ways of improving the stability of an object

From theory we know lower Centre of Gravity and a wider base improves stability. My question is, do you know other ways of improving the stability of an object. I will put forth the application in question:
A trolley is to be used to transport a display panel (with guages, flowmeter etc) on fairly rough terrain (gravel). The panel must be bolted down on the trolley.
The problem i have is that the panel box is slim and tall and most of the weight is distributed at the top. On a rough terrain the tall panel will be subject to moments which can cause the entire apparatus to topple over.
How do I go about making this system more stable?

Note: I cant make the base too wide (Maneuverability)

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It may be possible to use 'A'frame stiffeners as shown in the sketch. It is a free hand sketch and not to scale.
    [โ€‹IMG]
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Thank you, I had an idea to use struts but the customer may not desire them. I will have to try to change his mind.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    CE Designer
    Thank you, I had an idea to use struts but the customer may not desire them. I will have to try to change his mind.
    Make the struts as hyperbolae. Sort of (CE) Designer struts!
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Hmmm,thats seems very intregueing, hyperbola struts. I can maybe use hollow sections for the struts. Cost will go up but it is a very attractive idea Ramani. Thanks ๐Ÿ‘ If i use this idea i will post a picture of the finished product. Right now i'm trying to source the appropriate castors for the job. Im trying to find ones with a wide base to avoid sinking in the gravel.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    CE Designer
    Hmmm,thats seems very intregueing, hyperbola struts. I can maybe use hollow sections for the struts. Cost will go up but it is a very attractive idea Ramani. Thanks ๐Ÿ‘ If i use this idea i will post a picture of the finished product. Right now i'm trying to source the appropriate castors for the job. Im trying to find ones with a wide base to avoid sinking in the gravel.
    50 mm wide rubber casters are available. If necessary two of these can be mounted side by side at each location. That should spread the load well.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Two castors side by side would be great but im looking at cost. All parts are being made od 316 stainless steel (the panel is being used in a plant near the sea). Due to this the cost to the customer is already high. So far i am unable to source castors wider than 2" maximum width.
    I am also exploring the option of making the wheels myself to the desired width. I have polyurethane that i can use to cast the wheels but the problem with this is that the polyurethane may deform easily.
    I can make the trolley with the 2" castors but im trying to make life easy for my customer, but only if he is willing to pay a little extra of course ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    CE Designer
    I am also exploring the option of making the wheels myself to the desired width. ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    You can put a rubber sleeve (replaceable) over an SS tube of suitable diameter and width. Close the ends of the tube with an SS sheet through which the shaft goes. Since there is no requirement for speed or long distance movement, bush bearings would suffice. UHMWHDPE bushes can stand abrasive environment.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    bioramani
    You can put a rubber sleeve (replaceable) over an SS tube of suitable diameter and width. Close the ends of the tube with an SS sheet through which the shaft goes. Since there is no requirement for speed or long distance movement, bush bearings would suffice. UHMWHDPE bushes can stand abrasive environment.
    This is an option but i dont think my superior will approve it. I think he would rather give in to the cost of buying. the castors.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Ford has chose Scout app developed by Telenav for personalized navigation. The app enables hands free service along with many other facilities to the driver. Check out more of this...
If there is no gravity in space then how do astronauts attend their natural calls?
Can anyone plz provide a detail scenario of share market including percentage of taxes and all such stuff???
โ€‹ A man found a cocoon of an emperor moth. He took it home so that he could watch the moth come out of the cocoon. On that day a...
Have a ball with this ball. Quote: Just throw it in the air, and when it reaches the peak of its trajectory,โ€‹ 36 cameras located on its surface shoot simultaneously,...