WALKING STICK FOR VISUALLY IMPAIRED

Project Abstract / Summary : Walking stick is an innovative stick designed especially for visually disabled people, helping them becomes self sustained and connecting them to technology. Our prime purpose is to alarm the visually disabled person, as and when any problem comes in the way. There are three main parts of the stick namely, the microcontroller, sensors and indicators. The brain of the walking stick lies in the microcontroller. The sensors are used to detect any change in input and then alarm the person through indicators.

The basic things that the stick would be capable of doing are, sensing distance, sensing darkness, sensing water and when the stick gets lost the blind person can easily trace it. After sensing an indication would be given to the blind person.
The project works on the basic principle of detection of variation in input by sensors and indicating the change by indicators. Sensors need to be such that they can be easily griped inside the walking stick. The indicators need to be such that the message can be easily conveyed to the blind person.

The cost of such stick available in the market is worth thousands, so we have designed a low cost yet very efficient walking stick. The ultimate aim of the project is to make the visually disabled people independent. The future advancements in the project will be to make the stick more reliable, compact, sensible and less costly.

Thus, if the visually disabled can become independent and self sustained with the help of this stick, country’s development will take place and serve the 15 million blind people in India.

Pictures link
#-Link-Snipped-#
Video link
#-Link-Snipped-#

OBSTACLE DETECTION

For detecting obstacle high frequency ultra sonic sensor are used. Sensor sends ultra sonic waves. Whenever there is an obstacle, the waves come back; sensor detects it and sends a signal to microcontroller. Microcontroller then gives signal to the indicators i.e. buzzer and vibration motor.

DARK LIGHT SENSOR
Input is LDR and output is led. When light falls on LDR, led will be off and when there is dark light on LDR, the led will get on. When led is on, it indicate the other person that blind person is there. Hence, blind person is safe and secure.

WATER SENSOR
It is used to detect any water ahead of the stick.

RF-TF TO FIND STICK IF IT GETS LOST
There is receiver on the walking stick and a transmitter with the blind person. When the stick gets misplaced, person needs to press a button and a buzzer will ring and notify where the stick is.

SUMMARY
We have designed a low cost walking stick for blind person. The stick would indicate the blind person about any object, dark place and water coming in front and will also help him find his stick when it gets misplaced. My prime purpose of making the blind self sustained is thus accomplished with this walking stick.

COST
The overall cost of project is 1000 rupees.

Why did you choose to work on this project topic : I had seen a blind individual struggle a bit to do the things we normal peoples do. so i thought of making something for them. when i googled about it, it showed the cost of stick as very high and also the stick was not compact enough to be easily carried. Hence i thought of making a low cost and compact stick.
Also there are 35 million people blind out of which 15 billion are from India. Hence, it becomes all the more important to do something for them. and may be in return get their blessings.

Future scope - Is to make the stick more reliable and cost further reduced and work on gps technology.

Project Highlights : My project deserves to win because, wining will allow me to develop more features into the stick. I have worked very hard in developing something that is for people who are not as blessed as us. Wining will appreciate my efforts and help me take my project to a different level and make my stick and Ideal Walking Stick For Visually Impaired.

Project Category : Electrical / Electronics / Communication
------------------------------------------------------
Institute/College Name: BHARATI VIDYAPEETH'S COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING (BVCOE), PASCHIM VIHAR
City: NEW DELHI
State: NEW DELHI
Participating Team From: Third Year

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Project Abstract / Summary : REMOTE GROCERY INDICATOR Gone are the days when one is so free to check daily the grocery requirements. Everything is going online and high-tech with...
Hi awesomes, What is redhat linux job profile and job responsibilities? How is career growth in this job?
Project Abstract / Summary : INTRODUCTION To maintain quality of water it was necessary to check the water from outlet of sewage treatment plants. The parameters checked are visibility and...
Dr. Woolley and team from Brigham Young University are looking at folding the DNA to form specific shapes that can be used to create speedier and cheaper computer chips for...
Just a few days after unveiling the Bingo 20, American smartphone manufacturer InFocus is back with another selfie obsessed smartphone called the Bingo 50. The highlight of the InFocus Bingo...