Usage of waste heat from automobile Exhaust

hi everyone,...
Im thinking to do a project for engg final year on "Usage of waste heat from automobile Exhaust". Can anyone please tell me how i can give a big start up with it??

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    nagesh patil
    hi everyone,...
    Im thinking to do a project for engg final year on "Usage of waste heat from automobile Exhaust". Can anyone please tell me how i can give a big start up with it??
    That indeed is a great idea. However, it'd really help if you could explain your idea a bit in more detail and provide what mods you're looking to perform. It'd also help if you could post the exact problem you're facing in starting up : is it about idea, finding parts, design, theory? That helps our fellow engineers come up with better responses.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    You cannot use waste heat from automobile exhaust to the degree you are thinking. It is waste and has to given back to atmosphere. It is low grade energy and cannot be fully converted back to high grade energy. Even if you try, it is uneconomical.
  • ganesh kalkutaki
    ganesh kalkutaki
    sir is it possible to use of exhaust system for charging the battery????
  • Amith Gupta
    Amith Gupta
    The exhaust does not give enough heat to effficiently utilize it .
    The exhaust air force can help only in driving small turbines as in turbochargers.
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    Exhaust gases could be used for thermoelectric generators installed at the exhaust pipe. It will produce some of the electricity needed by the car while running.

Also the exhaust gases could be used to increase fuel mileage.
    Check the link for arrangements made:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • NAVATHE SACHIN
    NAVATHE SACHIN
    Exhaust gases can be used by EGR(exhaust gas re-circulation) method.check the below link:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Amith Gupta
    The exhaust does not give enough heat to effficiently utilize it .
    The exhaust air force can help only in driving small turbines as in turbochargers.
    so then can't that turbocharger help in driving an alternator and hence electricity ?
  • nagesh patil
    nagesh patil
    few months before someone suggested me to do a project on this,.. i mean, we can use the exhaust heat for refrigeration. That's wat i was thinking,..
    I searched much about it but the only thing that i got was thermo electric generators,..
    So, can anyone help me regarding this!!
  • nagesh patil
    nagesh patil
    "The MOD Squad
    #-Link-Snipped-# The Good Administrator "

Its just an idea,.. i need to implement it for my final year project,..
  • Amith Gupta
    Amith Gupta
    zaveri
    so then can't that turbocharger help in driving an alternator and hence electricity ?
    yes you can do it for that. But i guess using it for increasing the power o/p by compressing the inlet air to the engine is a much better application to it. You could actually do a lot with that exhaust power 😀 cuz if not used its jus gonna be wasted.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

TCS recruits hundreds of engineering graduates through their placements portal TCS Next Step ( nextstep.tcs.com ). It's a gateway for the fresh computer science, IT and other engineers into the...
Just stumbled upon the WSJ article on New York City Board Of Health banning the sugary drinks and Soda. I immediately recalled our LONG debate on Alcoholism at the same...
hie, iam using ATMEGA 16 and i want to experiment its ADC.. iam using a simple potentiometer to convert its voltage to digital..i want to know on what factors do...
Consider the following Boolean function of four variables: f (w, x, y, z) = (1,3,4,6,9,11,12,14 ) The function is: (A) independent of one variables. (B) independent of two variables. (C)...
Hi Friends i have come here to share my thoughts with you, and gain some knowledge through our senior colleague.