Universal Education System

I've read about it in many books. Almost everyone thinks that the education system needs to be changed! I'm not talking about education system in any particular country. I came across numerous articles which demanded a change in education system.

But no one really cared about what 'change' the education system needs. Let us gather ideas about the changes needed to education system.

The aim of this thread is to identify the shortcomings of the current education system and practical ways of resolving them.

I'll set the ball rolling with a random thought -

1. Schools: Examinations should not be 'memory tests'. Rather, the questions should be framed in a way which would make the students think. Instead of asking the students to write the 'definitions' verbatim, they could be asked to 'explain' them. (Hope I'm making sense here)

2. Colleges: Make them more practical. It’s amazing that tons of electrical engineers still don't know how to fix the broken mini-transformer inside their music system.

3. Financial Education: This should be a part of curriculum in schools & colleges.

Well, those are my random thoughts. Drop in your ideas. If we come up with something good, we'll seek out the ways to implement them.

-The Big K-

Replies

• aashima
    aashima
    i agree

yup.. education scenerio needs to be changed. that i suppose is the biggest need of the hour.
    studies should be made more practical than theoretical.
    thats correct.. rather than going for a verbatim definition, we must try to understand the core and basic.
    new projects according to the students' calibre should be added as a part of curriculum to make them implement practically what they are studying theoretically.
  • Neha
    Neha
    Theres no deny in the point...Our exam should more comprise of objective section or the questions that make us use our brains..but Memory tests are also important...they should be petty there...I alwaz wonder wats the use of Trignometry in our life??...I have neva used a bit of it in my life...but who cares coz its the old education system...Children should be given choices to choose subjects according to their interests at medium level.
  • kc7gr
    kc7gr
    Here's one for you...

"2. Colleges: Make them more practical. It’s amazing that tons of electrical engineers still don't know how to fix the broken mini-transformer inside their music system..."

The heck with the mini-transformer... Find me a junior college that teaches even the basics of good electronics assembly practices, including soldering!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The heck with the mini-transformer... Find me a junior college that teaches even the basics of good electronics assembly practices, including soldering!
    So that confirms our assumption - the education system needs to be changed. I learnt about transformer windings for 3 years and then came the lab-experience. The RGB lines which my professor drew on board were actually insulated copper wires 😛 .

I still wonder why we were taught 'Chemistry' in the first year of engineering! 😒 Can we find out practical ways of bringing in the necessary change?

-The Big K-
  • Mahesh
    Mahesh
    The changes what we are expecting are about to occur.Because for instance take my college,Chemistry is removed from acedamics from this yr onwards.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Mahesh
    The changes what we are expecting are about to occur.Because for instance take my college,Chemistry is removed from acedamics from this yr onwards.
    Well, that might be a bad news for those opting for Chemical Engineering. We we want is have an education system which empowers us to face the real life. We want an education system which is more 'practicals' oriented than "theory" oriented.

-The Big K-
  • Mahesh
    Mahesh
    But we don't have such branch in our college.So I think its a change for me.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Re: Here's one for you...

kc7gr
    "2. Colleges: Make them more practical. It’s amazing that tons of electrical engineers still don't know how to fix the broken mini-transformer inside their music system..."

I love you!!!!!!! And Biggie, you are 100% right in those points about the changes. Lol, the most amazing experience Ive had in college is relater to this problem, and you know what? They really dont care. Very few do! Our present system is the easy way out for both professors and teachers. Its really easy to give subjective Qs (or objective? someone correct my english pls!)

Looking deeply Ive also noticed that many student like professors who care veryyyyy little. Dont give a damn who listens. And dont give a damn how they explain. There is a wide variety. Even in these types there are those who know the subject but cant communicate with students.

Ok, sticking to the examination problem. Everyone got it right. Somehow, to give that kind of a 'involving and inovative' Question, one has to learn the subject in that way. Whihc very few professors can explain!! Its a delicate balence that has to come from the heart of our mentors! 😀

To fix the problem we have to fix the attitude of teachers (and some students who think its 'corny' to learn it that deeply)

(SIDENOTE: Ive got a different problem on how intelligence is measured now-adays! CGPA CGPA CGPA!!! A piece of paper says how hardworking you are not how intelligent. Intelligenece is an individual perception.)

[​IMG] Re: Universal Education System
    But we don't have such branch in our college.So I think its a change for me.
    I think the basic general chemistry is important since yyou might get a job related to chem/elec or sometihng. Like control systems in a chem plant. Just general chemistry though.
  • jayaprakash
    jayaprakash

Very good topic
    Not only the education system but also the examination pattern should be changed. The examination pattern should be in objective pattern not descrptive and it should be in such a way which should improve logical reasoning of the students and questions should be in solving way . So students should increase their aptitude capablity .Coming to colleges the portion is full of theory it should be reduced and amount of practical things should be increased .The marks for theory should be reduced and for practicals should be increased. The students should apply the knowledge which they are studying in theory and should arrive at some new things .
  • technospartan
    technospartan
    Thats a real hot topic to have a discussion.the education system on a global level needs a change! may be thats the reason we hav many engineering grads opting for other fields after thier graduation.But their us always a problem...and with it comes a solution (after all engineers are solution providers!!!) we can use satelite communication & many other technologies. but the main thing is WE HAVE TO BE A PART OF SOLUTUON NOT THE PROBLEM!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi everyone... can anyone plz suggest me some of the projects based on c language???
IR sensor!! hey, can anyone over here share their idea regarding how IR sensors r used in robotics!!:smile:
Hello CEans! I'm sure that not many of us are aware of this feature. The current private message box size is limited to 50 messages. If you have important messages...
Cricket...the most popular game of India today...We can see every glimpse of cricket in our colony,city,state,country and world..Cricket is played by everyone..let it be a 5-year old child or 65-year...
as am new to CE,plz make me aware abt threads...there usage..n other stuff.. thanks