Ubuntu for Android

Get ready your multicore android to run Ubuntu as app.

Yesterday Ubuntu unveiled its OS for Android multicore phones which enables user to run a fully featured desktop OS on mobile.
One of the biggest benefit is just connect your mobile to any tv or monitor and you are set.
[​IMG]

Detail info @ #-Link-Snipped-#

some more info: #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#
Can't wait to download and try Ubuntu on my S2😀

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I don't get it - how is it different from the regular android icons being displayed on a larger screen?
  • lal
    lal
    N900 have been doing this from ages ago itself I guess. Ubuntu works great on that device. Dual booting, triple booting and even quadraple booting of different OS including Android on N900 with almost full support is even in history books 😁 Even connecting a DVD player and watching a movie on the device has been accomplished. I think N900 is the most versatile hardware or flexible or a developer's dream machine till date among mobile phones 😀
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    In my opinion,the lame move by Mark shuttleworth.
    Install Ubuntu in Android in dual core phone,connect it to PC & now it's Ubuntu desktop.
    Canonical is trying to enter the mobile market,but this don't seem like pure mobile implementation.It's more of mobile-desktop hybrid.
    I don't understand how Ubuntu for Android is better than Ubuntu flashed pendrives except you can access android datas,contacts & messages but most Android apps are not compatible by Ubuntu.

I will rather stick bootable ubuntu pendrive to my laptop or desktop & use it rather than flashing Ubuntu image in my Android phone & connect it to dame thing.

Canonical won't be able to hop in mobile market untill 2014 & maybe during 14.04 release.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Sorry I just mixed up two things....
    Ubuntu for android and whole new Ubuntu OS for mobile.
    Ubuntu for android: it will be an app which will offer a fully featured desktop OS on mobile

Ubuntu OS for mobile: launched yesterday which will be like windows8. it will be a mobile OS on mobile but when docked it gives a desktop layout on monitor just like regular desktop OS.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    Sorry I just mixed up two things....
    Ubuntu for android and whole new Ubuntu OS for mobile.
    Ubuntu for android: it will be an app which will offer a fully featured desktop OS on mobile

Ubuntu OS for mobile: launched yesterday which will be like windows8. it will be a mobile OS on mobile but when docked it gives a desktop layout on monitor just like regular desktop OS.
    Well I have mixed up Ubuntu for Android & Ubuntu OS for Android too.
    Seems like Canonical is working too damn hard secretly.
    Sad thing is you need beefy machine for Ubuntu OS to work without lag.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Yes.. that's right.Projecting desktop OS from mobile hardware is not an easy task.

Even latest Ubuntu release 12.10, I find it very heavy.Virtual box was crying while running it consuming too much resources.
    I hope they will manage to bring lighter OS with pretty effect and features.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Printers "Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709) Double check the printer name and make sure that the printer is connected to the network
hi, i am a third yr instrumentation student i am going to do a mini project in hardware side can you suggest me some ideas.....?!?
i need a ppt for topic "Catching Packet Droppers and Modifiers in Wireless Sensor Networks"
can anyone give me the link to view the circuit diagram for eyeball movement detection sensors??
i need to make a program similar to a print logger program where i can keep a track of the pages printed by several computers connected in a network. So...