Turbo Chargers to be used in Bikes with 200 cc

Turbo Chargers to be used in Bikes with 200 cc

Can turbo chargers be used in bikes about 200 cc?
I know this sounds crazy but it may be relevant to my final year project help me with your reviews. Turbos in bikes rare to find out below 500 cc. Please help me.

Update: Answer-

Yes, technically speaking, it is possible to use a turbocharger in a 200cc motorcycle.

The principle behind turbocharging - using exhaust gases to spin a turbine and compress the intake air - can be applied to any internal combustion engine, including small displacement motorcycles.

However, there are several important considerations:

1. Space: Motorcycles, especially smaller ones, have very tight packaging. Fitting a turbocharger and its associated plumbing may be difficult. You may need to do considerable modification to the bike to make it fit.

2. Cost: Turbochargers are expensive. For a small bike, the cost of the turbocharger might exceed the value of the bike itself. In addition, you will likely need to upgrade other parts of the bike to handle the increased power and heat, which will further increase costs.

3. Heat: Turbochargers produce a lot of heat. This could be problematic in a small bike without much space for cooling.

4. Lag: Turbochargers have what is known as 'turbo lag', which is a delay between the rider opening the throttle and the turbo providing the boost. This might detract from the riding experience, particularly in a small-displacement bike where instant throttle response is often valued.

5. Reliability: Increasing power output with a turbocharger can put additional strain on the engine components, potentially decreasing reliability and lifespan.

6. Efficiency: The whole point of a small engine is to provide good fuel efficiency. Adding a turbocharger might improve power, but at the cost of reduced fuel efficiency.

So, while it's technically possible, it may not be practical or economical, particularly for a small bike. However, as a final year project, it could be an interesting challenge and an opportunity to learn a lot about engine mechanics and dynamics. It is always advisable to carry out thorough research and planning before attempting such a project.

Replies

• V r Balaji
    V r Balaji
    Hey iam going to use Turbo charger in DTSi engine For Better Performance & Good Power
    πŸ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

• zm-i
    zm-i
    The idea of using turbo in a motorcycle is viable. I think some 200cc or 250cc bikes which are modified with turbo will need a major change in their engines (bores, compression ratio, fuel system, air intake, etc). I don't know what you have to do with your engine, but I know that the charger shouldn't be placed facing the front like that in cars. Small rocks might "fly" into your it and damage your "snail". πŸ˜›
  • zm-i
    zm-i
    zm-i
    The idea of using turbo in a motorcycle is viable. I think some 200cc or 250cc bikes which are modified with turbo will need a major change in their engines (bores, compression ratio, fuel system, air intake, etc). I don't know what you have to do with your engine, but I know that the charger shouldn't be placed facing the front like that in cars. Small rocks might "fly" into it and damage your "snail". πŸ˜›
  • zm-i
    zm-i
    #-Link-Snipped-#: Since I am a motorcycle enthusiast, I want to help you as much as I could (although I don't know much about engineering).😐

Turbos are always rare in a bike because they are considered custom specification. And the word "custom" is enough to explain that this is possible. πŸ˜‰

Besides, you have the most powerful tool needed to make your final year project happen...... crazyengineers.com

By the way, the idea is not crazy. In fact, some people have done this!
    Check this out:

Can anyone provide more details about how to engineer a turbo in a 200cc bike?
  • Niharranjan Samantaray
    Niharranjan Samantaray

I really need help from you people to turbo my yamaha FZ25. Please help me with which turbo to buy and modifiers who can touch uo it like a pro.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hai this is mithra of final ece residing at erode.... I would like to be a good soul with extreme humanity and morale....... Am basically a nature lover...... I greatly...
I don't know if you saw this already. So for those of you who didn't this is mind blowing got to see lecture. https://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsense_technology.html Hope you will enjoy this as...
Hello friends , I m Sonia I m a student pursuing my B.E. ENTC I hv done inplant training in Goodyear in Marketing pls do tell me which type of...
What is the working principle of jet pumps and submersible pumps ? are submersible pumps just the water-resistant version of the centrifugal pumps ?
​With London Olympics round the corner, here comes a great app for all the sport lovers round the globe. BBC Olympic app will feature all the highlights and 24 live...