Trace a lost mobile phone - project.

actually if the sim card is still there in the mobile phone that is stolen then we can easily detect it. but usually as soon as the mobile is stolen, the sim card is removed so we wouldnt be able to trace it. but i want to do a project where, we can actually fix a tracing circuit...in the phone itself......

could u pls tell if it is possible ? or suggest somemore ideas
i would also like to implement the tracing circuit in vehicles,......where we can trce them if they are stolen......

Replies

• [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Assuming your circuit will use the services from the currently inserted sim, luckily you already have a nice thing present in the expensive phone i.e. the GPS. You can play around GPS to exactly pin point the location.

However, be sure that this is only valid for educational projects only. If you're planning to go further, I am afraid you'll not be able to get this implemented. This is a major security threat & will be subjected to severe punishment by the government. Hence, despite of how good it sounds, it cannot be put to practical use.
  • shruthip
    shruthip
    [Prototype]
    Assuming your circuit will use the services from the currently inserted sim, luckily you already have a nice thing present in the expensive phone i.e. the GPS. You can play around GPS to exactly pin point the location.

However, be sure that this is only valid for educational projects only. If you're planning to go further, I am afraid you'll not be able to get this implemented. This is a major security & will be subjected to severe punishment by the government. Hence, despite of how good it sounds, it cannot be put to practical use.
    actually i hav a doubt, after the sim card is removed.....and thrown... then can we trace the mobile phone with the GPS . I actually dont know what is GPS ...could u pls tell me what it is pls in brief about its working. i also didnt understand the phrase in your post " valid for educational projects only" could u pls tell me abt that also..pls
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    shruthip
    actually i hav a doubt, after the sim card is removed.....and thrown... then can we trace the mobile phone with the GPS . I actually dont know what is GPS ...could u pls tell me what it is pls in brief about its working. i also didnt understand the phrase in your post " valid for educational projects only" could u pls tell me abt that also..pls
    Now a days every smartphone is enabled with GPS devices.
    Read more about GPS here:- Global Positioning System
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    shruthip
    Every phone have their unique identities like ESN, IMEI, MAC which doesn't change irrespective of the Sim card present in the phone. Few of these identities are broadcasted hence you can distinguish various devices from each other.

GPS is a hardware which gives the latitude & longitude of the mobile phone. Read more info about GPS on wikipedia as pointed by godfather. For your purpose, as simple as a software can be used which utilizes the GPS hardware present in the mobile.

And, with that phrase, I meant to say that, despite this project sounds very useful, its not practical to implement it because of the security threats attached to it. Hence its only good for education projects rather than any practical purpose.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In India, it's the mighty Samsung that's leading the Android smartphone game. But Sony's still in the race with the Xperia model. Sony had recently launched Xperia Ion in India...
As we all know, that in modern cars, and in self-starting motorcycles, starter motors are used to start the engine, using electric power. Now the question is , how does...
ABSTRACT Recently, there is a widespread use of Web browser-based Web applications such as e-mails and chats. However, fre-quent communication between mobile wireless terminals and HTTP servers give rise to...
I am doing project on taking the college student attendence using rfid technology it needs rfid smart card reader. so give me the information about this project and price of...
now ma mind is like an empty CD drive..... hope it gets filled with CE