Torque of prime movers : a general question

Now when a prime mover like an electric motor or an I.C engine is designed to deliver a particular torque, then does this actually include the self weight of the crankshaft & flywheel /armature shaft ?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The generated torque is spent in exerting work in the related drives The total torque produced is capable of supplying the torque lost in the driving process and the rest is got as torque op from the prime mover

Tsh= Tg - mechanical losses

Tsh= shaft torque
    Tg generated torque
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    No dude, what i meant to ask is that is any torque required to drive the engine/motor shaft ?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Obvious Buddy if any device has to be moved from rest in a curved path a torque is required for this work to be done.

I am not clear here buddy of the need here do clear
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

can you clarify this guys ?
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    zaveri
    Now when a prime mover like an electric motor or an I.C engine is designed to deliver a particular torque, then does this actually include the self weight of the crankshaft & flywheel /armature shaft ?
    They would have to take these things into account upon starting the engine. I am not expert in designing engines but from my knowledge of mechanics this is the only educated answer i have.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    zaveri
    Yes it does. Because there is inertial energy stored in the rotating the crankshaft & flywheel /armature shaft, which has to necessarily come from the prime mover. When special applications like raising and lowering car windows and such require rapid attainment of speed, printed circuit or 'pan cake' motors with low inertia is used.
    Check this out:
    How real electric motors work

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm sure you must have seen the new Youtube layout by now. I personally am hating it. It could be a bug, but on a higher resolution screen, the whole...
does anyone knows the method of reverse tethering???
Still experimental. It may become a reality if the economics pan out. A roller coaster train that works like the fun rides without an engine or driver! It is all...
Andrew Gray, a retired Naval Officer currently studying engineering, designed this robotic 'Bird Buggy' for Pepper, a 10-year-old family parrot with clipped wings, a loud mouth, and separation anxiety, to...
Till now the root growth theory held that gravity is important for the 'snaking' and 'waving' of plant roots on earth Experiments done on the International Space Station seems to...