To learn coding, where should I start?

to learn coding from where should i start.....? plz help

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    akashdhayal
    We don't know if you are a first year engineering student. If you are, you should pay attention to the syllabus and start coding simple programs in C or C++. You may then head over to Java, PHP, Ruby or other programming languages.
  • akashdhayal
    akashdhayal
    yes sir i am a first year student of cse..... should i start with c or c++?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    akashdhayal
    yes sir i am a first year student of cse..... should i start with c or c++?
    Well, you can pick up any language. Most of the engineering students typically start with C programming. That said, you may also start with C++ and get yourself acquainted with the concepts of object oriented programming. I'd say start with C; spend about 15 - 30 days understanding the basic and advance concepts and then start with C++.
  • akashdhayal
    akashdhayal
    and sir what are basic i must have in my computer to learn and practice the concepts of the language?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    akashdhayal
    and sir what are basic i must have in my computer to learn and practice the concepts of the language?
    You'll need a C / C++ compiler to compile and execute your programs. Other than that, you'll need a basic code editor like notepad++ to get started.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: You may even try using the freeware Visual Studio Community Editor : #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Step 1: - Start with Trubo C++, 1st generation editor. Dig the internet and find out how you get use to install it on your computer.
    Step 2: Get Let Us C - Yeshwant Kanitkar from your library and start practicing till you reach to Pointers.

Step 3: Now, you are well verse with logic and libraries of C, Move to C++ and try to master pointers.
    First two steps are important. It will make you learn basic level of programming and logical thinking before you jump with any IDE.

This will take 2-3 months of irritation/patience of programming/setup/logic.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I would suggest to refer to 'C for dummies' by Dan Gookin and then move to 'C Bible' - Amazon.com
    I won't use that Let Us C crap.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    It's good that students know variety of books these days. In 2004 we only knew about Let Us C is only *book for programming* โ˜•
  • akashdhayal
    akashdhayal
    thnku all of you for such a gr8 help.... if needed later i may distrub again later with some silly question.... haha ๐Ÿ˜
    again thnks a lot..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    akashdhayal
    thnku all of you for such a gr8 help.... if needed later i may distrub again later with some silly question.... haha ๐Ÿ˜
    again thnks a lot..
    In fact, you can start with Beginner Tutorial written by our very own #-Link-Snipped-# : Beginners Tutorial : The C-language.
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    #-Link-Snipped-# Its nice to know, you still remember those tutorials , feels good thanks.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    I wouldn't go so far as to call Let Us C or Let us C++ crap, although I do admit
    The C Programming Language is a better choice.

There are a variety of books which have very good explanations.
    Since you are a first year student, you need to understand the concepts very clearly, trust me nothing is optional in programming if you want to see yourself as a software developer.

The tutorials which are pointed out by Kaustubh, were written by me just because like you, a fellow CEan wanted to learn programming.

All tutorials, should be probably get you started with C programming without really understanding all the jargon and then you can (and I would suggest that you should) read books over those topics for in-depth knowledge.

Let us know if you have any issues regarding tutorials, if you think something is missing or something needs more explanations, problems to practice and so on.

Take Care
    -SC
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    akashdhayal
    Everyone's preference may differ, that being said, i'll tell you how I started:
    I took a C++ book, read it from end to end, spending time at each topic and practicing practicals at the end of each chapter.
    For the choice of book, I would recommend Head First C++ programming, I am not sure whether u may like it or not, although any beginner level book will be good enough.
    Most important part: Do the practicals, without practice u cannot learn to code, theory can build concepts but practice is required to learn in depth and intricate details.
    Hope it helps
    ๐Ÿ˜€
  • fizzbuzz
    fizzbuzz
    akashdhayal
    C++ is a big help, I had this in civil engineering and now it is simplier in computer science to learn programming ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm surprised to see that most of the modern phones are dropping the support for FM radio. Apparently, they are doing this because they want you to use your data...
Mobile phones and tablets have taken over desktops and laptops as the primary devices to browse the Internet and access your favourite websites. The search engine giant, Google already announced...
I was wondering if there are any benefits of filling Nitrogen in car tyres over regular air. I'm totally aware that Nitrogen is already the major component of air, occupying...
Hello Friends I am planning to set up a home security alarm system for my house, Please suggest me one
hi kaustubh katdare this is chandrakanth(2014 passout, and ,my stream is instrumentation tech). I was very much interested in coding but the problem is with my stream backgroud. I did...