The United States uses 39% of the energy it produces, wastes 61%

The Lawrence Livermore National Lab has produced an interesting graph that shows that less than 40% of the energy produced in the States is actually used.
There is a new term got negawatt - 1 negawatt = 1 watt saved. Environmentally a negawatt is better than 1 watt more produced.
#-Link-Snipped-#
There are other useful links in the above article.
This one on cost of solar power is very interesting:
#-Link-Snipped-#
It would not too surprising if a similar exercise done in India (and other countries) throws up similar dismal results.

I am taking a break in the US now. I am seeing lot more solar farms dotted around the countryside than in India. One American I met told me that he appreciated Modi for covering canals with solar awning to garner power and was wondering why this was not followed elsewhere in India.

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    The Modi Idea of making a canopy of solar panels atop the rivers was brilliant. This has been a huge support in his development agenda. Speaking for US, economy wise they don't care if they waste alot. They could perhaps try to sell that extra power to other countries where it is needed.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    An update on costs of renewable energy:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Let me post the link and get out of the way; https://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-07/i-met-worlds-smartest-dog
One more headache to chemistry students. There seem to be periodic additions to the Periodic Table. The latest is the confirmed finding of a new heavy weight element with an...
Hello CEans, I feel great pleasure in announcing that my own start-up Energy Labs which is a brainchild of our company Full Circle group is live now. After sleepless nights...
Indian Dream : Conversation between two Americans when Rs. 1 = $ 100 Alex: Hi John, you didn't come yesterday to office? John: Yeah, I was in Indian Embassy for...
When it comes to displays, the South Korean electronics giant, Samsung wants to tell the world that they are second to none. According to Samsung Korea, the company will demonstrate...