The requirements of charging a battery

Considering that a particular lead acid battery of given voltage and ampere-hours is to be charged by an electric machine such as a dynamo or an alternator, then what should be the specifications of the latter, and how to determine them ?

for example a lead acid battery of 12 volts and 60 Ah has to be recharged completely within an hour, using a dynamo, then what should be the parameters of the latter ?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    A minimum of 13.4 V is required at the supply line cos for the reverse reaction to take place in a battery more voltage has to be applied

The supply current determines the time required for charging the battery so it can suit your availability well enough

Here a 60Ah source is required i think for charging in 1 hour
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

what is the mathematical way of determining this ?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I'm not sure exactly. It is more of chemistry than mathematics buddy. The reverse reaction onsets only if the supply voltage is more than the voltage developed in the cell.

And for continuation we set some voltage gap as we are not sure about the impurities in the solution inside the battery

I will check on it and post it here buddy
  • lal
    lal
    Theorotically, applying a 60A charging current would charge a 60Ah battery in 1 hour. The charging rate is denoted as C or C-rate, in this case C = 60A. Charging time is given by C/charging current. If 120A charging current is applied, the battery will be recharged in 30 minutes.

No battery would be 100% efficient in absorbing charge. So a 60A current will make the battery take more than an hour to fully charge.Charging an ordinary battery within one hour is not recommended. It would increase the battery temperature very much and might cause damage or even fatal accidents. Also the possibility of overcharging is high in such cases.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    As a rule lead acid batteries should be charged over ten hours. Faster charging leads to secondary reactions, heat and damage to the electrodes. This implies a source that can deliver 60 AH/10 = 6 amps and a voltage high enough to deliver this to the cell during the whole charge. Some means of current control must be available.
    It is the current that charges. Voltage is irrelevant except that it has to be necessarily higher than the battery being charged at all times. As conqueror says the final voltage has to be above 13.4 V to ensure complete charging.
    As lal says charging at high currents can be hazardous
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Thankyou all

#-Link-Snipped-# sir

what about lithium ion batteries ? would it be hazardous to charge them within an hour ?
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    the slower you charge these batteries, the high capacity it can hold. You can't charge them at high rate considering the safety of the battery. The charging current needs to be less then a threshold value, above which you would spoil the battery. This value keeps decreasing at intervals as you keep charging the battery. This is for Lithium-ion batteries. The same holds good for Pb-Acid batteries.

So, the inference is that you can't change/lessen the time of charging to a very great extent(completely charged in few min is not possible). There is a restriction.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Supposing an A.C machine has to be run on a D.C source, such as a battery, through an oscillator circuit, then what should be the voltage and current of the...
i need a java program that uses applet and swing concepts !!!
Now when a prime mover like an electric motor or an I.C engine is designed to deliver a particular torque, then does this actually include the self weight of the...
I'm sure you must have seen the new Youtube layout by now. I personally am hating it. It could be a bug, but on a higher resolution screen, the whole...
does anyone knows the method of reverse tethering???