The Great Indian Call Drop Issue - What's The Fix?

I'm trying to understand the call drop issue that's making buzz in the Indian telecom industry. I personally have been experiencing totally bad call quality and frequent call drops on the Idea Cellular network. I first thought it could be the congestion that's causing the issue; but the real issue seems to be the inability of the telecom operators to put the towers at the most prominent locations.

Can someone post a clear explanation of what's going on, what the problem and the solution?

Replies

• lal
    lal
    All I can think of are bandwidth limitations and less capable transducers. Bandwidth could be one big issue, India being one of the countries with most number of cellphone users.

While on less popular, and hence less conjusted, networks I have never experienced call drops. Even I felt like the voice quality being far superior.

There is a tradeoff between quality and coverage. The transducer can be made to have a wider coverage with lower quality and vice versa for the same power; if I am remembering the old communication lessons correct!

Hope to hear more from our crazy communications engineers.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Nokia 105 Dual SIM phone has been launched in India with a price tag of just Rs. 1499. The candybar phone is available in black and white color variants to...
I am working for a startup. When I switch job, will the new company ask for my bank statement or the pay-slip?
It's been about seven weeks since NASA's New Horizons did the historic flyby of Pluto on July 14th. It surely did collect lot of data including stunning photos, spectra and...
If you want to have fun with the self-driving cars, all you need is a $60 DIY system built using Raspberry Pi and a laser pointer. That's what Jonathan Petit,...
Motorcycle Taxi service in India seems to be the next 'big thing' that will make it in India. If you are a lone rider; you don't have to pay for...