The CE Workshop Tool List

The CE Workshop Tool List

#-Link-Snipped-#

Hey CEans!

In the discussions regarding the CE Bot, raj87verma88 (aka Patty) mentioned about getting tools. I thought that we should have a list of basic tools and components that most CEans should have to embark on projects, especially if they want to work at home. I know some CEans already posses their own personal workshops so it'll be nice if you guys chip in your opinions.

However, lets aim to keep the cost affordable. Machines will be quite a big jump for starters, and we'll keep them as long term stuff.
I'll be using some sorta colour code to identify which tools and components are suited to which type of projects. A tool can have multiple codes.

* Metalworking
* Woodworking
* Plastics
* Electronics

Tools

• Claw Hammer ***:
  • Screwdriver ****: One with changeable bits is recommended.
  • Long Nose Plier ****:
  • Power drill ***
  • Junior Hacksaw ****
  • Coping Saw ***
  • Utility Knife ****
  • Hand File (various sizes) ****
  • Wire/Cable cutter *
  • Wire stripper *
  • Digital Multimeter *: A sub $10 DMM, able to measure voltage, current, resistance and detecting short circuits, is sufficient.
  • Soldering Gun *: A 20-30W one is suitable enough. For delicate components, use a temperature controllable soldering tool.
  • Breadboard/Projectboard *: For prototyping circuits. When creating radio circuits, remember to retune it again when you transfer to PCB.
Consumables

• Screws and bolts ****: [will add recommended dimensions and stock amount]
  • Nails
  • Resistors and Capacitors *: [will add recommended values and stock amount]
  • Misc Discrete Components *: [will add common models]
  • Soldering Flux *
  • Desoldering Braids *
  • Sandpaper **: Emery for metal, Garnet for wood.
  • Multicore wires *
  • Singlecore wires *: Get a roll of black, red, and few other colours (eg blue and orange). For prototyping experiments, cut them into short lengths to create jumper wires.
  • Donutboards/Perfboard *: These are boards which have holes drilled and padded. Useful for quick fabrication of permanent circuits.
  • Stripboard *: Like donutboards, but also contain strips of copper running in one direction similar to the breadboard. The copper tracks can be broken by scratching or drilling the holes bigger.
This post will be continuously updated

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    whoa, quite a list, it is..

It'd also be wise to have a breadboard and some hook up wire, to do the testing in breadboard
    first, prior to soldering.

Also, some tools for filing and some emery sheets can be included. They can come handy in a
    variety of situations.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Thanks SS, have added them on the list now
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Good going ASH
  • honeyclarck
    honeyclarck
    Marvelous post Great piece of information.
  • dhananjay pathak
    dhananjay pathak
    can u show these with pictures?????
  • Chinu1
    Chinu1
    Thanks for the sharing. You can add filer in your list.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can anyone guide me for vhdl code of wallace tree multiplication.
HEY ppl plz help me... actually i need a mechanism in which i want to move a small iron rod to and fro in a space of 3cm.actually its like...
i need a topic for miniproject in ece
i'm facing this problem with my aquarium tank where whenever i put my hand inside the water, i feel the electricity shock! i'v tested with a test pen, but it...
it will be vry kind of you ppl if u can help me suggest me sum gud place where i gt to learn sumthing atleast a small pie in a...