Survey: Do you listen to local FM Radio on your phone?

I'm surprised to see that most of the modern phones are dropping the support for FM radio. Apparently, they are doing this because they want you to use your data connection to tune in to web-based radio apps - so that the carriers make more money. I've been reading that while almost all the modern phones are equipped with FM receiver, it's not activated by default by the network providers.

There have been several surveys that hint at the declining use of FM Radio on phones. Let's conduct our own survey to find out the truth. Do engineers use FM Radio on phones? Please cast your vote on the poll.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm surprised, we've no takers for this poll?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Yes, I still do sometimes !
    Web-based Radio - Never !
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    There was a time when a smartphone without Radio was a big turn off.
    But I do use it still. I prefer not occupying the precious memory in my phone with several GBs of songs. What's the point?

Moreover, these days each song is more 6 MB. 😲
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What I personally do not like about the local FM radio stations is that content to noise ration is pathetic. I bet if you tune into any radio station, there's a 99% chance that you'd listen to a commercial than actual song. Plus the radio jockeys have become so irritating with their punctuation or pause-less babble.

The only good thing about local FM radios is that you can listen to them without having to pay anything upfront and save precious data. The downside however is that you can't customise the playlists and have to rely on the choice of the RJs; no matter what mood you're in.

That said, I do like to have an option of tuning into any local FM radio.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Mobile phones and tablets have taken over desktops and laptops as the primary devices to browse the Internet and access your favourite websites. The search engine giant, Google already announced...
I was wondering if there are any benefits of filling Nitrogen in car tyres over regular air. I'm totally aware that Nitrogen is already the major component of air, occupying...
Hello Friends I am planning to set up a home security alarm system for my house, Please suggest me one
hi kaustubh katdare this is chandrakanth(2014 passout, and ,my stream is instrumentation tech). I was very much interested in coding but the problem is with my stream backgroud. I did...
ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) is in the process of commissioning a multipurpose, 'Made In India' RADAR that can track space debris. This multi-object tracking radar was introduced by M...