Supercomputer gets super water-cooleda

I was just reading news on Web, came across the following news and thought would generate interest in CEan's to do something as innovative as this is. Posting the same:

Reference: #-Link-Snipped-#

Water as a coolant has the ability to capture heat about 4,000 times more efficiently than air, and its heat-transporting properties are also far superior. Chip-level cooling with a water temperature of approximately 60°C is sufficient to keep the chip at operating temperatures well below the maximally allowed 85°C. The high input temperature of the coolant results in an even higher-grade heat as an output, which in this case will be about 65°C.

The pipelines from the individual blades link to the larger network of the server rack, which in turn are connected to the main water transportation network. The water-cooled supercomputer will require about 10 litres of water for cooling, and a pump ensures a flow rate of roughly 30 litres per minute. The entire cooling system is a closed circuit: the cooling water is heated constantly by the chips and consequently cooled to the required temperature as it passes through a passive heat exchanger, thus delivering the removed heat directly to the heating system of the university in this experimental phase. This eliminates the need for today's energy-hungry chillers.

"Heat is a valuable commodity that we rely on and pay dearly for in our everyday lives. If we capture and transport the waste heat from the active components in a computer system as efficiently as possible, we can reuse it as a resource, thus saving energy and lowering carbon emissions. This project is a significant step towards energy-aware, emission-free computing and data centres," explained Bruno Michel, manager advanced thermal packaging at IBM's Zurich Research Laboratory.

-CB

Replies

• ms_cs
    ms_cs
    @CB: [FONT="]preeminent [/FONT] article !

IBM is a Giant in IT Field. No other can beat it for the next decades I think

It is really an innovative idea to use the heat energy from the super computer. But I dont get an Idea how they can use that heat energy ..Because to cool the super computer , the observant water is used..then how they use that heat energy?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Cool.. I especially liked the idea of reusing the stray heat to useful purposes.

Way to go, green computing!! 😁😁
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hey Good read!

I cannot see the link you gave - it is only for registered users 😔

Anyways as you mentioned, what mechanism they are using to cool that heated water ? Why they need water as a coolant ? I guess to be more eco-friendly - saving of water is also required .
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Water cooling is common among computer enthusiasts (might be some here on CE!), since its a lot better than air cooling when one wants to overclock the system. Good to see its being applied at large scale.

@ Shalini
    try this link: #-Link-Snipped-#

@ ms_cs
    The use of the heat is mentioned very briefly:
    The entire cooling system is a closed circuit: the cooling water is heated constantly by the chips and consequently cooled to the required temperature as it passes through a passive heat exchanger, thus delivering the removed heat directly to the heating system of the university in this experimental phase. This eliminates the need for today's energy-hungry chillers.
    haha, such a short mention! Also, as strong as IBM is.. HP is still quite formidable. In addition, they'll have very tough competition from Oracle's purchase of Sun, as well as Cisco recently joining the server game. Cisco has embarked on very ambitious plans (check out their CRS-1), so it'll be interesting to see what they can churn out.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    The link is working fine. You dont have to be registered.. Anyhow, the link's text is fully reproduced here. So, no probs.

And, You are not getting the point here..

Water as a coolant has more desirable properties than air. it's more efficient that air coolant. And, we are not wasting water by using it as a coolant. It's just going to be in the system only, na?

To cool the heated water, as mentioned, heat exchanger is used.The water takes heat from the computer chips and gives the heat to some other appliances..
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Actually.. theres 2 pages of the article 😛 I'll reproduce it here for convenience sake:

Long term team-up
    The project is part of IBM's First-of-a-Kind program, which engages IBM's scientists with clients to explore and pilot emerging technologies that address real world business problems. It was made possible by the support of IBM Switzerland and the IBM Research and Development Laboratory in Boeblingen, Germany.

The liquid cooled supercomputer research is planned as a three-year collaborative research program called Direct Re-Use of Waste Heat from Liquid-Cooled Supercomputers: Towards Low Power, High Performance, Zero-Emission Computing and Datacenters, which is funded jointly mainly by IBM, ETH Zurich and the Swiss Competence Center for Energy and Mobility. Part of the system will be devoted to further research into cooling technologies and efficiencies by scientists of ETH Zurich, ETH Lausanne, the Swiss Competence Center for Energy and Mobility, and the IBM Zurich Research Lab.

The computational performance of Aquasar is a very important part of the research. Aquasar will be employed by the Computational Science and Engineering Lab of the Computer Science Department at ETH Zurich, for multiscale flow simulations pertaining to problems encountered at the interface of nanotechnology and fluid dynamics. Researchers from this laboratory will also optimize the efficiency with which the respective algorithms perform within the system, in collaboration with the IBM Zurich Lab. These activities will be supplemented with algorithms of other research labs participating in the project. With this supercomputer system, scientists intend to demonstrate that the ability to solve important scientific problems efficiently, does not need to have an adverse effect on the energy and environmental challenges facing humanity.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    shalini_goel14
    Hey Good read!

I cannot see the link you gave - it is only for registered users 😔

Anyways as you mentioned, what mechanism they are using to cool that heated water ? Why they need water as a coolant ? I guess to be more eco-friendly - saving of water is also required .
    ms_cs
    @CB: [FONT="]preeminent [/FONT] article !

IBM is a Giant in IT Field. No other can beat it for the next decades I think

It is really an innovative idea to use the heat energy from the super computer. But I dont get an Idea how they can use that heat energy ..Because to cool the super computer , the observant water is used..then how they use that heat energy?

The water will be flowing in a closed circuit so there won't be any wastage. The water is just a medium to transfer heat energy from one point to other via a heat exchanger system. As the water gives up its heat via the heat exchanger, it will become cool and then will be heated again by the chips and the process continues.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Yep. In simple words, it's just like a refrigerator. It uses a liquid coolant.
    Same way, these super computers use water. It'll be circulating inside the circuit continuously and transfers heat from computer parts to the heat exchanger.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    I don't how it was working for you people. I was getting following page on click of link.

[​IMG]

Anyways Thanks Mr Ash for the full information and highlighting the line which I missed to read because of my habit of carelessness. Now cleared.

Thanks !
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Thanks ash for the explanation.
    I am still in confusion, how they use that heat for any other useful purposes
  • skipper
    skipper
    This is a good connection between thermodynamics as exchanges in a system and the "computational flow" improvements, the extension into algebraic space in time, as a lattice of switching nodes.
    The architecture is the boundary of discrete states in the machine (M), or the structure's inner function has a heat boundary equivalent to the C-efficiency, an algorithmic "power output" at some level, distributed over the lattice.

Translate that into: build better "brains" in a more compact, thermodynamically efficient space = a "cortex"
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    Great article
    but what will they be using the heat for, its not gonna be a huge amount of heat energy there.
    It's like refrigerator in a closed vessel so no steam power involved(it wouldn't have been made anyway, at least not on a usable scale)
    So what exactly are they attaching to extract the heat
    the only thing that comes to my mind is may be they use it to keep a constant temperature at one end of a thermostat that can create electricity but again there will be not much amount of it so no real usage of that.
    IDK what do you think?
    or should we wait for their final product.
    It's gonna be great if they do complete it. 😀
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    IDK means what?

Even after [FONT="]Revealing[/FONT] any product, the company may kept the core workings as secret. You have to do reverse engineering 😉
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    ms_cs
    IDK means what?

Even after [FONT="]Revealing[/FONT] any product, the company may kept the core workings as secret. You have to do reverse engineering 😉
    IDK - I don't know. It's an internet phrase lolz
    yeah that's true, I would love to do that. 😁
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    The temperature of the output water will be around 65[sup]o[/sup], so whatever uses will be based on that level. Other than using it for the university's heating system, what other methods could you guys think of?

Perhaps, it can be used for incubation purposes? or maintaining food in the canteen so they will always be warm?

or would you go to the more sophisticated means like heat engines?
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    ash
    The temperature of the output water will be around 65[sup]o[/sup], so whatever uses will be based on that level. Other than using it for the university's heating system, what other methods could you guys think of?

Perhaps, it can be used for incubation purposes? or maintaining food in the canteen so they will always be warm?

or would you go to the more sophisticated means like heat engines?

Does it means that the temperature emitted from the super computer, is 65[sup]o[/sup]?
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    The idea is quite nice, but Reusing waste heat energy is quite common practice.

The heat can be used for preheating the water in boilers for steam production in laundries in the university, in the college kitchen, or warm water in restrooms, etc.

But the key will be the tempreature of the water leaving the supercomputer and an effective HeatExchanger.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    ms_cs
    Does it means that the temperature emitted from the super computer, is 65[sup]o[/sup]?
    Nope, actual temperatures are a lot higher.. and depends on load I suppose. Only water flowing out is estimated to be 65. They must have already set a certain speed of water already to come out with that value.

Its like blowing the hot tea to cool it down. If you put your hand on the opposite side of the cup, you can feel the heated vapour.. but the temperature is still lower than the actual temperature of the hot tea. (alright, admittedly bad example.. but similar concept 😉 )
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    ash
    (alright, admittedly bad example.. but similar concept 😉 )
    lolz good you said that coz I did understand the concept you explained but didn't understand even one word of the example lol 😁 haha

jk
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    ...one seminar conducted by IBM, One student from tamilnadu, asked this question. They simply replied as, " It is now underresearch " and they presented a T-Shirt for him for "Good Questions"😁 . They did not leaked a single word about that project.😡

Certainly, they will not generate electricity😉
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    ms_cs
    ...one seminar conducted by IBM, One student from tamilnadu, asked this question. They simply replied as, " It is now underresearch " and they presented a T-Shirt for him for "Good Questions"😁 . They did not leaked a single word about that project.😡

Certainly, they will not generate electricity😉
    what were the questions??
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    The seminar was about the super computing. The question is about the reusage of waste heat energy. "How can we reuse that heat energy", "How much amount of heat.."
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    ms_cs
    The seminar was about the super computing. The question is about the reusage of waste heat energy. "How can we reuse that heat energy", "How much amount of heat.."
    great minds with great questions. 😀
    Thanks for the info ;-)
  • gohm
    gohm
    How about upgrading to chemical cooling?
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    kashish0711
    great minds with great questions. 😀
    Thanks for the info ;-)
    If you were that faculty,what will be your answer for the questions
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    gohm
    How about upgrading to chemical cooling?
    I don;t know much about that...chemical ice packs can be used, Correct me If I am wrong...
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    ms_cs
    If you were that faculty,what will be your answer for the questions
    If I were
    hm.. then he would have got a better prize rofl
    Ok, IDK may be I don't have the experience required to answer those questions 😉
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    Yeah it may be since it may produce large amount of heat...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi friends. recently i installed IE-8 i my machine. but i want IE6 back now. can any one tell me how to do that!. i tried add/remove windows components. but...
IIT - Guwahati presents: Techniche 2009 3-6 September, 2009. Official Website: Techniche '09 | Techniche About Techniche (taken from official website) - To illuminate the darkest corners of your minds,...
I want course details for partime M.E and fees details in tamilnadu.😕
Hi friends, I want to discuss an interesting topic related to online calculator. Engineering - Solve complex equations on click of Button all FREE! This tool is very good...
Hi can anybody tell me how to reconfigure host id of " SUN" severs in nvram