Suggestion: Delete posts which are 6+ months old

hi biggie,

as you know that i have joined CE very recently. I have been going through all the forums but i thnk have not been able to read even 40%of the posts.

my question is that ARE all the threads and posts that have been posted so far since the day CE came into effect there on CE???

i yes, than dont you think that there should be some sort of resriction(time limit)imposed on the threads. What i mean is that wont it be better if the threads which have ben posted 6months back or so shoul automaticaaly get deleted and if there is a particular thread that has got a very good response from the CEans shoul be retained.

its just a suggestion.
Whats say CEans???
REGARDS,
DEP

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Re: OLD posts and threads..please read it

Good suggestion DEP. However there is a problem with it ๐Ÿ˜€

Engineers from all over the world will contribute really good ideas & articles on the CE forum. The information posted on CE will be available for infinite time on our forums. It is important that we do not delete them because the information posted today might be useful to someone few months from now.

Regarding if posts have been deleted in past, the answer is Yes. The Chit-Chat section is regularly cleaned up. However the good discussions/posts are kept.

Only the posts which are obscene, are advertisements or irrelevant are removed. ๐Ÿ˜€

Let me know if you have further questions. Keep adding comments to the feedback section!

-The Big K-
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt

posts are normally not deleted unless they harm the sentiments of the members or any one else ... they are locked ... and normally posts are neither locked cuase they dont harm any1 posts remain there cause if posts are deleted members post counts get reduced and also if at some time some 1 wants to know something they can use the search to get to that thread and go through it
  • DEP
    DEP

The_Big_K
    Good suggestion DEP. However there is a problem with it ๐Ÿ˜€

Engineers from all over the world will contribute really good ideas & articles on the CE forum. The information posted on CE will be available for infinite time on our forums. It is important that we do not delete them because the information posted today might be useful to someone few months from now.

Regarding if posts have been deleted in past, the answer is Yes. The Chit-Chat section is regularly cleaned up. However the good discussions/posts are kept.

Only the posts which are obscene, are advertisements or irrelevant are removed. ๐Ÿ˜€

Let me know if you have further questions. Keep adding comments to the feedback section!

-The Big K-

hey biggie,

i completely support your view. I didnt analyze that aspect very well.
    well as you very rightly said we cannot delete the posts and i agree but
    while going through all the posts, one thing that i noticed was that certains threads get awesome response from the CEans viz. my thread regarding "antivirus" while others dont even get even a sinle reply viz..i posted a my first or 2nd thread regarding "an if/else" code.

if we cannot delete such threds than is is possible like to arrange all the posts in a forum on priority basis(threads getting max response should be placed first and then the 1s getting not so good respone) so that it becomes more convinient for the usere to go through them.

my suggestion might be a little impractical so lets ask CEans if they have some BETTER suggestions.

common guys, go for it
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt
    everytime a reply is posted the thread becomes first in the forum ... and a wierd but useful to some feature of vb is the starring of posts ... that is if a topic receives a certain amount of replies it gets stars so that way u can differentiate between posts that have attracted more members
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

DEP
    hey biggie,

i completely support your view. I didnt analyze that aspect very well.
    well as you very rightly said we cannot delete the posts and i agree but
    while going through all the posts, one thing that i noticed was that certains threads get awesome response from the CEans viz. my thread regarding "antivirus" while others dont even get even a sinle reply viz..i posted a my first or 2nd thread regarding "an if/else" code.

if we cannot delete such threds than is is possible like to arrange all the posts in a forum on priority basis(threads getting max response should be placed first and then the 1s getting not so good respone) so that it becomes more convinient for the usere to go through them.

my suggestion might be a little impractical so lets ask CEans if they have some BETTER suggestions.

common guys, go for it
    Your suggestion is practical. But currently, we keep the thread with latest post on top. That ensures that CEans notice the thread which is being discussed.

All 'hot' threads (the ones with interesting discussions, ideas) are stuck and remain always-on-top. ๐Ÿ˜€

Of course, not all threads get reply. But that's okay.

-The Big K-
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt

The_Big_K
    Your suggestion is practical.
    practical but not appropriate
    The_Big_K
    we keep the thread with latest post on top.
    well thats how all forum softwares work
    The_Big_K
    All 'hot' threads (the ones with interesting discussions, ideas) are stuck and remain always-on-top. ๐Ÿ˜€
    thats the forum mod/admin's consent
  • DEP
    DEP

no_atkt
    practical but not appropriate

well thats how all forum softwares work
    thats the forum mod/admin's consent

no_atkt,

i was expecting some better suggestions from The CEans. But the only impression that your respnse has given is that you are more interested in proving the inappropriateness & impracticality of what i said which is something i really didnt expect. I would have appreciated if you had given some practical & appropriate suggestions.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Hi DEP,

Your suggestion in quiet appropriate and at the same time practicle as well. However we may not delete the posts as you suggest. Except for chit chat, as biggie said, we do not clean up any thing else, unless its an obscene content or an advertisement or some thing racist.

no_atkt,
    I must acknowledge you for the information, value and criticism you have brought recently. The forum has started appearing livelier. However, I have got a suggestion for you. You must watch your language. I guess you have not been through CE new bee training. Please go through this post

CrazyEngineers

Learn to respect others.
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt
    well im soryy if i have dis-respected any1 cause to my knowledge i have not

coming to the point DEP in my previous post i have told u why the suggestion u have given is not followed on almost all forums .... go through that post and u will get a clearer picture as to why i say that it is in-appropriate step

no_atkt
    posts are normally not deleted unless they harm the sentiments of the members or any one else ... they are locked ... and normally posts are neither locked cuase they dont harm any1 posts remain there cause if posts are deleted members post counts get reduced and also if at some time some 1 wants to know something they can use the search to get to that thread and go through it
  • DEP
    DEP
    mayurpathak
    Hi DEP,

Your suggestion in quiet appropriate and at the same time practicle as well. However we may not delete the posts as you suggest. Except for chit chat, as biggie said, we do not clean up any thing else, unless its an obscene content or an advertisement or some thing racist.

no_atkt,
    I must acknowledge you for the information, value and criticism you have brought recently. The forum has started appearing livelier. However, I have got a suggestion for you. You must watch your language. I guess you have not been through CE new bee training. Please go through this post

CrazyEngineers

Learn to respect others.
    no_atkt
    well im soryy if i have dis-respected any1 cause to my knowledge i have not

coming to the point DEP in my previous post i have told u why the suggestion u have given is not followed on almost all forums .... go through that post and u will get a clearer picture as to why i say that it is in-appropriate step

hi mayur, thanks for appreciating my view.

hi no_atkt,

its absolutely fine. i apologise for overreacting to your post.

well the only thing i would like to say that is it anyhow possible to organize the posts in any way so that its more convienient for us to go through them and analyze them.

hey CEans !!! where are you????
    shout..
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt
    could u be a little more specific as to what do u mean when u say

possible to organize the posts in any way so that its more convienient for us to go through them and analyze them.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ah, there were still some old posts which I found still interesting! (eg the knowing your sport post) So, I agree that there should be some posts that should be retained, since they might interest members who have just joined.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Umm... The admin's overhead (read headache) for deleting old topics would be pretty high na? As it is, there is hardly any extra load on the application because of any previous data (pagination to the rescue!!), also, I think whenever a new thread is rejuvenated by a fresher perspective, it will automatically rise to the top. Thus, we have a digg effect in every forum.

Although, there ARE some threads which can be removed. But, it would require human intervention ... Biggie, are you upto it ;-) :-D
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    kidakaka
    Umm... The admin's overhead (read headache) for deleting old topics would be pretty high na? As it is, there is hardly any extra load on the application because of any previous data (pagination to the rescue!!), also, I think whenever a new thread is rejuvenated by a fresher perspective, it will automatically rise to the top. Thus, we have a digg effect in every forum.

Although, there ARE some threads which can be removed. But, it would require human intervention ... Biggie, are you upto it ;-) :-D
    CE Mods - the search begins soon ๐Ÿ˜ !

Oh boy, this place is growing! ๐Ÿ˜

-The Big K-
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    he he he ... really have to hand it to you sir. The avatar really suits you, the pragmatic one ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

there is a facility in vb that reduces the work of the mods/admins by automerging 2 consecutive posts by the same member ... i would request you to look into...
hello everyone !! i intend to buy sound quality speakers with inbuilt FM. REQUIREMENT:- 1. cost< Rs3000 2. only 2 speakers 3. should be branded do yoy have any suggestions...
hi biggie, today i read about the CE conference that took place on yahoo last year. sadly i wasnt a member then. Is it possible to arrange another conference this...
" Computer make it easier to do a lot of things,but most of them dont need to be done." i came across with the above statement while surfing and felt...
hi all, can anyone reccomend me some good books that one must read to work on my c/c++ programming skills. Regards, DEP