Student's contribution to the industry in 6-week training

Today was my Internal Viva for 6 week Industrial Training held back in May-June.

Prime question asked in viva was
What You Have Contributed to Industry in 6 Weeks?

I still can't figure out How A Student can contribute to such a big industry in just 6 weeks, that too a student of 2nd year.... Student still has to observe culture, environment of industry, understand the various methods/procedure used for the equipment getting manufacture there.

What are your Views ???

#-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

I want to add more tags...just in a hurry to post this thread....

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's a strange question and I'm not sure why'd an interviewer ask this question. An industrial training is aimed at making students familiar with the nature and type of work carried out in various companies. If such a question was asked to me, I'd simply say that the industrial training was meant for making us familiar with the industry. In the 6 weeks of training; I contributed my sincere efforts to carry out the tasks / assignments / job allotted to me.

I'd even ask them more questions to understand what exactly are they trying to find out.
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    ahhh... #-Link-Snipped-# you relieved me a bit from frustration, I was going through all the day.

I too actually can't understand how a student can *contribute* without having much knowledge. A student goes to industry to get some practical knowledge.

My project was Study/Observation of Various Stages of Assembly of Tractor. I was asked some questions related to Transmission, Differential and Engine.. I replied them efficiently, but for marking main emphasis was put on this above question..

Most Interesting thing is that when I tried to say that I was there to observe in way of assembling and all other related stuff, I am awarded with 15 marks out 30 of viva voce.

Please tag some more talented Engineers... I need to get views from everybody...
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    That's quite a 😲 kind of a question. Do you have any idea about the motive of the questioner behind it?
    Is that Viva supposed to be instrumental in giving you a permanent job in that company anytime in future? I guess, not. But if that is the case - you could describe specific examples of how effectively you've learnt a particular topic in those 6-weeks or tell them the small goal you achieved and talk about the experience you gained, which will be valuable when you join a full-time job in future.
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    No there is no idea of giving job in industry bases on the performance of 6 weeks training... This question was part of viva voce...just after the presentation.

I just think.. I Lacs of engineering students *contribute* something special to respective Industry then What would be position of those industries, technology in near future ??

I just can't imagine :O
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Well, I was lucky enough in that matter. The heat exchanger @ where I interned was out to lunch but nobody really noticed.... because it was a big-ass power plant, and people had stuff to do.

But nobody asked me that question during my college ppt. To be honest I would have been kinda annoyed at this "baiting" question and said that I contributed nothing whatsoever.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Thanks for tagging.

Well actually i have come across such a question before, but not in the same situation.

i was asked the same question, in my placement interview, and that was "what kind of contribution will you make to the company ?".

this is somewhat understandable, but your situation #-Link-Snipped-# is kind of ridiculous i should say.

under such conditions you generally can only contribute ideas for innovation and improvement, but then that again depends on the company to implement it.
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    #-Link-Snipped-# , well i don't really have a clue what i would have said , if I was in your situation.
    Industrial training is to make students familiar with machine tools , management practices, assembly lines and other manufacturing process .When i did my training I had to submit a detailed report to our guide about what we saw and learned.We had no viva after completing the training.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Might be he wanted to know if you have any innovative idea or some improvement in process.
    Otherwise in industrial training student only get to know how project carried out in real scenarios.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Why not get in touch with the professor or lecturer who interviewed you and ask them what answer they expected from you? I'm quite curious to know 😁
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I would contact him if tomorrow possible otherwise on 17th... will surely post here...
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    Sorry for late reply !! #-Link-Snipped-#

I asked the professor and he replied that he was expecting us to perform something exceptional in industry not just study the various procedures used for manufacturing, likewise perform some experiment on innovative idea, get those readings/observations and try to invent like something new :O :lol

To me that not in industrial culture of India... if it isn't so, then such environment is only for students of IIT's or NIT's or IIM's.

In normal case, we have to look out for references to get a training for 6 week period in a industry.

In my case, I got training only by reference and same industry said no to me when I tried on self basis. Even the I was assigned ASSEMBLY DEPARTMENT because I again called that guy to contact with HR Department 😔

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

bebionic is an amazing five articulated finger prosthesis that is way ahead of anything presently available. It operates using two muscle triggers near the elbow. It can be camouflaged inside...
The Panama Canal that opened in 1914 is considered the world's greatest civil engineering project. This is a nice slide show, a fine piece of engineering history. https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...canal-the-worlds-greatest-engineering-project
Create browsing history page of website. When user browse through pages of website at the end user can see which pages he browsed.
hello friends, I am constructing my house in a place in which the ground has lot of rocks, stones..... My engineer is unwilling to go for some good depth in...
Since Bangalore is facing big Garbage Crisis something has to be thought and bring out a breakthrough as early as possible.Garbage landfills in Karnataka cannot take anymore, so can garbage...