Steering Knuckle

Guys, i'm trying to have the car steering implemented in a motorcycle. Kind of like a hub steered one. I've got many design flaws. Using the stock steering does not help. ANd my major problem is how to pivot the wheel? (it is supported on one side only) HELP!

Replies

• Gurjap
    Gurjap
    what sorta steering are you using? rack and pinion? can you upload some photos?
  • Abhijeet Khandagale
    Abhijeet Khandagale
    Follow up here : #-Link-Snipped-#
  • gohm
    gohm
    Can you provide an overview of your design & project? (this will keep the dicussion on CE instead of FB & also I am not able to understand all of the posts) Are you using a current design as your foundation for your project? With further details I & others would be happy to assist and provide incouragement. Good luck!
  • Abhijeet Khandagale
    Abhijeet Khandagale
    Well, I'm trying to re-invent the Batpod. The vehicle featured in The Dark Knight movie. I've got most of the things cleared up, but the only thing that's eating me up is the steering part. I tried using the stock steering from a car but it's too heavy, costly and quite complicated. I wish to make up one, use hydraulics to steer the wheel, and add a few design mods. I'll try n post my design here, but I'm reluctant to do so, my team members insist not to reveal much stuff online.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Sorry for being late to reply! Dark knight movie, I will need to see what that bike exactly looks like. But normally speaking, the mechanisms seems to be complicated when we have the handle directly connected to wheel. We need to think simple.

But I will study that dark knight thing and will post some idea. I will try. 😀
  • Abhijeet Khandagale
    Abhijeet Khandagale
    ishan, the handle is not directly connected to the wheel, it uses linkages, and car type steering mechanism to operate.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Sure Abhijeet, I thought of one thing. The mechanism is surely complicated but here it is.

Steering-> Cylinder with fliud (of a size of shock-up or a bit larger depending upon space)-> Rack mounted along the axis of cylider-> Differential mechanism connecting the wheels and rack.

Have you tried this? I will come up with some other ideas too. Besides Best of luck for your project. 😀
  • Abhijeet Khandagale
    Abhijeet Khandagale
    ishan.. dear friend I'm sorry but you are wrong. It's pretty much complicated.
    Mr. Gohm, I'd like to know what material to use for the knuckle part. I've got my designs ready. I also need to fabricate the wheel hub.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Indian scientists found that the human blood has the property of MERMISTER'S. They proved that human blood changes its electrical resistance depending on how much voltage is applied. It also...
MAKING 50 WATTS BULB FROM WATER BOTTLE(zero electricity needed) just i found a cool method of light harvesting which is very cheap and amazing. Using just a 2 liter bottle(plastic...
Hi all, i want to build a solar tracker, which will have a platform, which will rotate in azimuth direction according to sun motion. The platform should have max tangential...
We covered Google Wallets yesterday on VoiCE, and now its in news that, PayPal and eBay have filed lawsuit against Google charging that the Internet giant tapped into trade secrets...
its my final project nd i desperately need someone guidenss ,plzz ,my project title is "Drawing through hand gesture recognition",,so if anyone ,plz help me with it ,its in matlab...