STAINLESS STEEL

May I know,which stainless steel grade is preferable to manufacture an item,which is to be gone through high tensile force, SS 304,SS 304 L or SS 304 H ?

Replies

• Ankush Sharma
    Ankush Sharma
    Dear,
    Be specific about your question.
    You are asking for SS, But also at the same time you want high tensile resistance.
    First of all, be clear that SS material is designed only for Corrosion Resistance. So, Whenever we use SS in Engineering World, We use it because it is Stainless, But not on the basis of its strength.
    Its Obvious that strength matters, But these SS materials are not designed with that viewpoint.

Ok, now come again to your question, Kindly specify in which application you are using it? Without application no one can decide. So, Instead of force resistance, specify the working temperature, whether you are going to use welding with SS? These are few questions which really matters in SS.
  • PRADIP CHAKRABORTY
    PRADIP CHAKRABORTY
    Anku2993
    Dear,
    Be specific about your question.
    You are asking for SS, But also at the same time you want high tensile resistance.
    First of all, be clear that SS material is designed only for Corrosion Resistance. So, Whenever we use SS in Engineering World, We use it because it is Stainless, But not on the basis of its strength.
    Its Obvious that strength matters, But these SS materials are not designed with that viewpoint.

Ok, now come again to your question, Kindly specify in which application you are using it? Without application no one can decide. So, Instead of force resistance, specify the working temperature, whether you are going to use welding with SS? These are few questions which really matters in SS.
    I want to use the same for fabricating a structure to hold the charge coupled device(CCD)in a telescope
  • Ankush Sharma
    Ankush Sharma
    PRAD CHAKRABORTY
    I want to use the same for fabricating a structure to hold the charge coupled device(CCD)in a telescope
    Dear,
    First of all, i don't know exactly about CCD, i think it is something related to transferring electric charge from one place to other where it is required or to convert electrical chrge in digital(i don't know it exactly). But then why there is a need of SS in this? Is there any corrosive surrounding around it like chemicals or water or something like this? even i don't think there is going to be more working temperature which can effect the material. So, you can use other materials instead of SS.
    Even if you want to use SS in this particular case and also there is no corrosive environment or temperature, then you can use any SS grade. Also, you mentioned that you will fabricate it. So, it's obvious that there will be joining of material. If you are going to join it with rivets and there is no environment factor, then you can use any grade. But if you are going to use welding then SS grade is required.
    So, mention your fabrication process and also the working temperature and environment.
  • PRADIP CHAKRABORTY
    PRADIP CHAKRABORTY
    Anku2993
    Dear,
    First of all, i don't know exactly about CCD, i think it is something related to transferring electric charge from one place to other where it is required or to convert electrical chrge in digital(i don't know it exactly). But then why there is a need of SS in this? Is there any corrosive surrounding around it like chemicals or water or something like this? even i don't think there is going to be more working temperature which can effect the material. So, you can use other materials instead of SS.
    Even if you want to use SS in this particular case and also there is no corrosive environment or temperature, then you can use any SS grade. Also, you mentioned that you will fabricate it. So, it's obvious that there will be joining of material. If you are going to join it with rivets and there is no environment factor, then you can use any grade. But if you are going to use welding then SS grade is required.
    So, mention your fabrication process and also the working temperature and environment.
    CCD is Charge Coupled Device used in telescope as a camera to capture the photograph of celestial objects.The main cause of using SS rectangular tube or SS angle just to avoid corrosion.The main load will be dynamic tensile load as the telescope moves frequently with respect to the target object.
  • Ankush Sharma
    Ankush Sharma
    PRAD CHAKRABORTY
    CCD is Charge Coupled Device used in telescope as a camera to capture the photograph of celestial objects.The main cause of using SS rectangular tube or SS angle just to avoid corrosion.The main load will be dynamic tensile load as the telescope moves frequently with respect to the target object.
    Ok, then in that case i will brief you about various SS grades mentioned in your first post that for what purpose these are. Then decide by yourself.
    SS304 - Having good ductility, weldability, Good strength even at high tempearture.
    SS304H- Its carbon percentage is variable and in some cases may be more than SS304, so it's better to avoid this grade.
    SS304L- It is extra low carbon grade, Having same properties as SS304 with more weldability and even can be used at high temperatures as compared to SS304 without any problem and more corrosion resistant at high temperatures.(Specially designed for high temperature corrosion resistance to remove IGC).

But I think in your case there is no temperature issue, So it's better to go for SS304.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Micromax Canvas Amaze 2, another smartphone in the Canvas series has just been made available today in Flipkart at Rs. 7499. The phone promises nice specs at an affordable price...
Can anybody suggest me the joining process of mild steel and aluminium.If this is possible,please let me know the specification of arc welding electrode or gas welding flux
Reliance Industries owned smartphone brand LYF has launched another Voice Over LTE (VoLTE) handset in the Indian market called the LYF Wind 5. As the name suggests the Wind 5...
Getting a 4G enabled smartphone in India has become cheaper than ever with the launch of the Intex Cloud Glory 4G. The smartphone is also one of the cheapest ones...
Yesterday, Opera Software ASA announced a stable release version 38.0.2220.29 for its well known product- the Opera Browser, and they call it Opera 38. So what? Web browsers do get...