Specific Gravity of Hydraulic Oil

Friends

I am doing my final year project related to hydraulic. I need some clarifications..

In all the websites i have referred the specific gravity for the hydraulic oil HLP46 has been given only at 15 degree celsius. But i want the specific gravity value for the same oil at room temperature (say 30 degree celsius)

Is there any formulas or relations for finding the specific gravity of the oil for different degree celsius????

Please help me friends

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Is there any formulas or relations for finding the specific gravity of the oil for different degree celsius????
    Arun,
    In the case of hydraulic oils and lubes viscosity and its change with temperature is far more important than the variation in SG, which is quite small.
    I am curious about your concern for SG. Can you elaborate?
  • ArunSrinivassan
    ArunSrinivassan
    Thank you for your valuable comments sir. My question is that is there any specific gravity value available for 30 degree celsius or is there is any interpolation has to be made to get the specific gravity value for 30 degree celsius???
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    As I said sp. gr. changes little with temperature, while the viscosity changes a lot.
    As a ball park figure for most mineral oils a 15 deg C increase in temperature will cause the sp. gr. to drop by about 1%.

There is a lot of background info here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • ArunSrinivassan
    ArunSrinivassan
    Sir so is it correct to take the specific gravity of the HLP 46 oil at 15 degree celsius??
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    If you are very finicky, reduce the value at 15.6 C by 1%. You will be quite accurate.
  • ArunSrinivassan
    ArunSrinivassan
    Thank you sir

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

permissible stress for mild steel,cast nylon
Even though we all have used a lot of photo-filter apps, not all of us have liked them. It seems like a new app on iOS has arrived to change...
Raj Sarkar submitted a new project: LUPO (Smart Tags) - Lupo helps to FIND, SECURE & CONTROL all Bluetooth devices with a single keychain device Lupo is the world's first...
The internet is flooded with iPhone 6 concept videos, but a recent good news has come up for all iPhone fans as another, somewhat acceptable video has arrived. A British...
Apple has now released a major update for the iPhone and the iPad. iOS 7.1 is released almost six months after Apple launched the redesigned iOS 7. This version will...