CrazyEngineers
  • Friends

I am doing my final year project related to hydraulic. I need some clarifications..

In all the websites i have referred the specific gravity for the hydraulic oil HLP46 has been given only at 15 degree celsius. But i want the specific gravity value for the same oil at room temperature (say 30 degree celsius)

Is there any formulas or relations for finding the specific gravity of the oil for different degree celsius????

Please help me friends
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Ramani Aswath

MemberMar 11, 2014

Is there any formulas or relations for finding the specific gravity of the oil for different degree celsius????
    Arun,
    In the case of hydraulic oils and lubes viscosity and its change with temperature is far more important than the variation in SG, which is quite small.
    I am curious about your concern for SG. Can you elaborate?
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • ArunSrinivassan

MemberMar 11, 2014

Thank you for your valuable comments sir. My question is that is there any specific gravity value available for 30 degree celsius or is there is any interpolation has to be made to get the specific gravity value for 30 degree celsius???
    Cancel
  • Ramani Aswath

MemberMar 11, 2014

As I said sp. gr. changes little with temperature, while the viscosity changes a lot.
    As a ball park figure for most mineral oils a 15 deg C increase in temperature will cause the sp. gr. to drop by about 1%.

There is a lot of background info here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Cancel
  • ArunSrinivassan

MemberMar 11, 2014

Sir so is it correct to take the specific gravity of the HLP 46 oil at 15 degree celsius??
    Cancel
  • Ramani Aswath

MemberMar 11, 2014

If you are very finicky, reduce the value at 15.6 C by 1%. You will be quite accurate.
    Cancel
  • ArunSrinivassan

MemberMar 11, 2014

Thank you sir
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register