Sneak Peek At Cars From Geneva Auto Show 2011

Some Big players of the motor sector unveiled some of their marvels of engineering during the 2011 Geneva Motor Show. There were more than 100 cars for display but the major thing that I could notice is that even the big daddies of the motor world are all set up to go green.

[​IMG]

Here is a brief review about the various hybrid and electric cars showcased at the GMS-

[*]Rolls Royce Phantom –

A wonder car by the Rolls Royce couldn’t get better. Rolls Royce 102EX Phantom Electric Experimental sets new standards for electric luxury cars. The new car has two 290(KW) electric motors. The motors will be water cooled and a strong 71(KW-Hr) Li-ion battery provides power to these motors.  The motors get the power from batteries via two high power inverters. This is the reason why the driver can experience a torque of 590(ft-lbs) which is even more than the usual gasoline phantom. The car is provided with 2 3-phase chargers for charging purpose.  However the company has no plans to produce this version of car until they are sure about its economic viability, and this will take time.

[*]Land Rover Range _e –

This car is the second on the list. And yes, that is how actually the company has said its name is.  Land Rover this time goes hybrid. The car is powered up with a 3(Ltr) turbocharged V6 diesel engine with a 69(KW) electric motor working in parallel with it. The car comes with an eight speed automatic transmission. The add on battery pack adds a substantial amount to the actual cost but then it will push the car into a zero-emission band.

[*]Volkswagen Bulli Concept Car –

This time VW comes up with a car/ bus that many people can find unusual in shape but in fact I liked it. I think basically this vehicle is designed for public transport or so. Instead of rear, the front wheels of the bus are powered with a 85(KW) electric motor. The battery provided is a 40(KW-hr) Li – ion battery. The company claims that with this battery the bus can run upto 185 miles. The top speed is though limited to 90(mph) being an public transport bus.

[*]Volvo V60 Plug-In Hybrid –

Last but not the least on my list is the V60 by Volvo. Before going into the details, I would like to share here that the car is expected to be in the market by 2012. Now about the car, the car is charged with a five-cylinder 2.4 (Ltr) turbo D5 diesel engines. The engine develops a power of 215(Hp) at 440(N-m) torque. The car is also powered by an electric motor which is capable of giving added 70(Hp) a 200(N-m) torque. The electric motor is connected using the Electric Rear Axle Drive. The company claims 0-61 mph in 6.9 seconds and a range of around 32 miles with the electric motor activated.

The trend is thus seen to be leaning towards the lightweight hybrid and electric powered cars from the usual heavy cars with massive gasoline engines. Even I am as eager as you to see these marvels of engineering heating up the road. So start saving!

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Patriot Systems is stealing the show at CeBIT 2011. The company that's totally into high performance and high speed storage devices, is ready to launch the SandForce SF-2200 (SSD aka...
Iran, the country which is always in the middle of controversy because of its nuclear program, has something new to worry about! Its Bushehr nuclear reactor, which is now under...
Dr. Reza Zoughi of Missouri University Of Science & Technology and his team have developed a see-through camera that can look through walls and dense objects. This patented camera uses...
As we all know the engine is the heart of any automobile. But to pump the engine various components are required. One of those components is CARBURETOR. Function of carburetor...
Are you surprised? Don't be. This is not a fairy tale nor it is about “make it or...