Should There Be Theory Lectures In Engineering Studies?

Theory is important and forms the base for the practicals - that's what we've been told since long. But from my experience, no one really likes to attend theory lectures. I found attending practicals more interesting than theory lectures ( and I'm sure all Electrical Engineers would unanimously agree with me ).

Can engineering studies be made more interesting by having the lecturer / professor talk about theory only while doing experiments?

Replies

• Scholes18
    Scholes18
    For some subjects we should be focusing more on practicals say for me-Electronic Devices and Circuits,Digital Communication,Microprocessors,etc...
    but many a times it is not possible to do practicals say for 'television and video engineering,RF Circuit Design,etc....mainly because there apparatus are too costly and we have just one or two for demonstration....so professors have no other choice but give more theory lectures on this subjects.
    But in most colleges in India our syllabus is outdated and even if we do practs more often we are still studying old technology than what the industry expect from us!
  • Lalit77
    Lalit77
    Ya I am totally agree with you..that theory lectures should be accompanied with practicals or else visual demonstrations that makes the understanding more easier and no need to make parrotwork during exams.The colleges having workshops equipped with desirable machines and instruments produces more employable candidates.Theory is also important as it developes wide range of thinking provided that it should be accompanied with instant visualisations.
  • Lalit77
    Lalit77
    Scholes18
    For some subjects we should be focusing more on practicals say for me-Electronic Devices and Circuits,Digital Communication,Microprocessors,etc...
    but many a times it is not possible to do practicals say for 'television and video engineering,RF Circuit Design,etc....mainly because there apparatus are too costly and we have just one or two for demonstration....so professors have no other choice but give more theory lectures on this subjects.
    But in most colleges in India our syllabus is outdated and even if we do practs more often we are still studying old technology than what the industry expect from us!
    If we dont have that costly instruments then we can provide them with visual aids.
  • RISHABH LALA
    RISHABH LALA
    Especially in government colleges , all over India (IIT's exception), there is a problem of good faculty , that can really ignite the thrust/passion in an engineer, or can halp him to inculcate the the habit of self- learning; rather they come and just speak about the course bound topics and go. It is often immaterial for them about the practical importance of subjects . ...................................................what I suggest is that , thorough importance should be given to practicals , and the students can prepare theory themselves.
  • Scholes18
    Scholes18
    Lalit77
    If we dont have that costly instruments then we can provide them with visual aids.
    ya that could be a good option or else software simulation. We use matlab (pirated 😉 ) more often for subjects like this since they provide instant output without circuit building hassles ....although one needs to practice coding in matlab but learning matlab would be worth it.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    My theory class will be full of notes taking class. They will brake our hand's😲 . To make theory class interesting, they can discuss about the subject away from the book like discussing about the present and future trends based on the subject.(Its my point of view)

I have seen many of them, have posted about visual aids. In my point of view, It wont work out all the time, because some of my lecture's have done the same thing. The visual aids will be in the form of words only.
  • RISHABH LALA
    RISHABH LALA
    Theory could be learned from book , with a small help from faculty . But practicals can only be understood when done with full patience and concentration(where often in govt colleges esp., time is cut shortened)
  • ishwariya
    ishwariya
    from my point of view importance should be given to both theory as well as practicals ...
  • Lalit77
    Lalit77
    ishwariya
    from my point of view importance should be given to both theory as well as practicals ...
    But more emphasis should be given on practicals because ideas only come when you are familiarize with the actual machine work.You cant imagine each and everything with theory lectures.Two hours of practical is more imperessive to understand rather one day word bombarding.Four days practical and two days theory will be really helpful pattern to produce employable engineers.Because I've seen fresher mechanical engineer saying that he had seen bearing for the first time when he joined the organisation.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Adding one more to it. In Electronic theory class, Lecture said, IC wont get heated up. But in practical class, When I touched the IC, My forefinger got burned out, Due to heat.
  • TaraJava
    TaraJava
    Yea there are some universities where student don't touch the books its completely practical .But there are some subjects where you need theory too.Yea of course thery is needed but not more than practical classes
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    without any theory knowledge, the thought of going practical is foolishness.
    I mean if we just go to lab and start typing the programs without any knowledge of why we are using these codes, or keywords etc. is just same as mugging up the subject without understanding it. And according to me, the person who mugs up the subject can never be intelligent
    I agree that practicals helps us understanding the depth of subject and it even makes us feel confident about the subject, but this only happens when you have some basic knowledge about the subject. and, the basic knowledge comes from THEORY.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    Can engineering studies be made more interesting by having the lecturer / professor talk about theory only while doing experiments?
    At least in Chemical Engineering it would be very difficult to pass on concepts of Reaction Kinetics, Heat Transmission, Thermodynamics and such using only practicals as some of them would need elaboarate experimental facilities.
    At Andhra University we used to have didactic lectures for about 40% of the time with the rest devoted to hands on practicals in all areas, which included mech eng, mech workshop, electrical engineering and chemistry in addition to various areas of chemical engineering itself.
    There was also an unofficial out of hours work when those interested and in the campus hostels were roped in by seniors doing PhD in various science and technology areas to help in their experimental work.
    I for one had great fun and learnt a whole lot more than even from the formal course work.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I believe there has to be proper mix of theory and practicals. During my electrical engineering days, we were exposed to more theory lectures than practicals and that messed up the things. I'd have loved to open the electric motor on day 1 and have our professor explain the current flow and magnetic fields. The theory could have 'followed' the practicals.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    The_Big_K
    I'd have loved to open the electric motor on day 1 and have our professor explain the current flow and magnetic fields. The theory could have 'followed' the practicals.
    This was done for me. But whatever we read in theory, we will have it in practical. My point, for example, In machines lab, we always have a graph. But no one thought us, Why this graph is shaped as such? I hope, there we lag.
  • RISHABH LALA
    RISHABH LALA
    Proper explanation of practicals along with theory is required. As said above 'didactic lectures for about 40% of the time with the rest devoted to hands on practicals in all areas' would be a good mix.
  • aravindharaj
    aravindharaj
    aarthivg
    Adding one more to it. In Electronic theory class, Lecture said, IC wont get heated up. But in practical class, When I touched the IC, My forefinger got burned out, Due to heat.
    i have seen that 😒 but generally ic's wont get heated up

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello All! I am new to this forum and i am in the need of my final year project.. I need coded project urgently😔 I've little knowledge of ASP.net and...
What is meant by the term 'detonation' in the context of mechanical engineering? Can someone explain this term, its use as to where, why and how? Please reply.
Am final year BTech student.MY DISCIPLINE IS applied electronics and instrumentation.
I like electronics and instrumentation a lot. Currently working on projects in Labview. Hope to see more Labview folks here.
i am cheerag. entering my IVth the last year of my b.tech in a full mood to do big.