Should social networking sites be banned in offices & colleges?

CEans,

There are 1000s of social networking websites around. I personally know at least 20 persons who spend most of their online time making friends and connecting with people around the world. Some use social networking sites for professional reasons while most use them to make friends.

I've seen many companies banning access to social networking sites such as Orkut, Facebook, Hi5 & others. What is your take on this?

Do you think social networking sites should be freely allowed in offices & colleges? Or should they be banned?

Shout! 😁

Replies

• MaRo
    MaRo
    Big Yes, 90% of people go these sites JUST wasting time install/unistall applications.

btw, I HATE Facebook
  • Elisa
    Elisa
    I had created an account on Hi5. I don't use it anymore. I think social networking sites do affect productivity of the office staff. It's been banned in my office and I think it was a wise decision of the senior management to ban the social networking sites.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    No, they should not be. There are literally thousands of people who USE these sites to WORK πŸ˜€. Believe it or not folks!!

Sites like LinkedIn, where the top jobs and top resources are hired, where people pitch to VCs, where a BD guy hunts for potential leads, cannot be banned.

In case of offices, please do so if the extra curricular activities actually impede the work. Otherwise, why would you want to put unnecessary restriction on your employees. Lets be Machiavellian about this, as long as the work is getting done ... why ban?

Its just that I follow the Theory Y ideology (with small and few doses of Theory X).

I say, dont ban them!! Leave it for your employees to decide whether they want to Orkut or finish their work. Trust me, if social networking sites are as bad as you say they are, then they will make the right choice ;-)
  • gohm
    gohm
    Business, in most areas being private enterprise, has the right to ban or not ban access to these sites as they see fit. I would agree if it interferes with work. I find it hard to fathom the current college age kids talking about socializing with peers via these social sites & texting. It seems to be so much so will there come a time when there will be no more "social" in socializing? Whatever happened to hanging out in person?! 😁
  • mahul
    mahul
    I prefer to be silent about companies and organizations, but these sites must certainly be banned in colleges and university campuses.Students waste such a hell lot of time doing meaningless stuff over here that its very irritable indeed( i'm no exception). Engineers usually kill a lot of time in their university days and these sites have added to all that.
  • rohit maloo
    rohit maloo
    we must leave it to an individual....let him/her decide on whether they want to waste time on such stuffs or they want to make use of it...if they dont perform just sack them in offices and in case of universities they will be at a loss.....just dont impose the ban....
  • friendster7
    friendster7
    i agree with rohit..it is always good to leave it to individuals..so if we block the social networking sites..there are different ways on how he can access the site... so it is waste of time to ban social networking sites..he has to use the social networking as long as it is in a good way..
  • vivekji
    vivekji
    Yap, It should happen, to be honest almost all of us use these websites to waste our precious time going behind these. uploading and downloading photos etc. If you really wnat to become a memeber why can't you go on with a technical networking website like linkedin, to enrich your career; instead of wasting your time getting friends of opposite ***.

Be an Engineer in all aspects of life
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Surprizingly, our poll shows people faovring banning of websites is more! The question is, how many of us would not touch social networking sites as a matter of personal discipline? πŸ˜€

In that case, do you think it makes sense to ban sites like twitter?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I'm not really fond of using those social networking sites. I only log on for necessity! I believe the rate of my logins is once a month.
  • vivekji
    vivekji
    I certainly agree with that, Students waste a hell lot of time finding friends.πŸ˜”

mahul
    I prefer to be silent about companies and organizations, but these sites must certainly be banned in colleges and university campuses.Students waste such a hell lot of time doing meaningless stuff over here that its very irritable indeed( i'm no exception). Engineers usually kill a lot of time in their university days and these sites have added to all that.
  • freak16
    freak16
    i am solely in the favor of banning the social networking sites in the colleges. because you are a student at this time and cannot decide what are your priorities. Simply you are not wiser enough so these things tempt you a lot but as you get into jobs you become smart enough to know what should be done. Is your work necessray for your career or the chatting with friends. and of cos you can use them for a nice cause or pursuing your likes and hobbies to get yourselves acquianted about the updates for ECA.
    Hacking and information leaking is another problem with the social networking site.
  • playboy
    playboy
    uld beencouraged
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    well..........
    see friends banning is bad for a single reason or for a single person view
    if we are not want social network just avoid them but not ask to ban
    if we ban too users do not change they will use illegally
    see in my college mobiles are banned but every student had a phone thats the effect of banning
    we are informing them to use by giving the name banned
    in my view by saying banned we saying for the people who dont know about it
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    I am of the opinion of banning SNS atleast in colleges and universities. If we people are left alone in the lab just for 5 minutes, everyone of us will be found logged into their respective accounts. This is the limit of addiction in us.
  • aman_gupta_009
    aman_gupta_009
    YEAH it should be banned because people are addicted to this and if used at workplace , students or employees won't be able to concentrate on their work. Recently i joined facebook and every time i switch on my pc , i used to check my facebook account. It has become some kinda addiction to me. So social networking sites should be banned in workplaces....
  • dhananjayshukla
    dhananjayshukla
    In my opinion it should be banned in the colleges.It doesnot matter too for the office person but it really matters in case of college student.They are
    frittering time in making friends and talking unused stuff which is totally a waste of time nothing else.Social networking sites are now just becoming more n more application oriented.They have more n more games and other stuff which i do not think shold be there
  • AnarchistBits
    AnarchistBits
    It should be illegal to ban ones family.

No. A person should be paid based upon performance. Babysitting employees is unnecessarily bureaucratic. Some employees need to check on family or friends while at work. Some may think this is fun time or inappropriate on the job, but family and friends are part of life, not separate from it.

If people are not getting the job done, then their numbers will show it. It is their responsibility to boost their performance, not be babysat.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Discipline is something that you develop through the ages. If you have to ban social networking sites, why not ban everything else on Earth including Cigarettes, Alcohol, and you know the rest. It's totally upto the person's attitude, whether he or she wants to waste his/her time or make maximum use of it. You can never judge that a person who's a Facebook enthusiast won't do his job simultaneously and equally well. I feel that the application content of Facebook like FarmVille and such 'garbage' should not be used. Pure conversations are always relaxing during intervals.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I think they should not be allowed in offices, coz no matter what you say, they do effect your productivity. And if you want a break then there are other ways too. Social networking sites are addiction and a very few people are exception for that. You can say that it can give you relaxation, yes it does and every addict starts his account to kil the time only. Later we can see them spending hours on these sites.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Bumping this thread for more reviews. ;-)
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    A company pays employee to work and achieve the goal & not to chitter chat in Facebook,Google+ or any other social networking websites with (online)friends.
    I have bit old-school opinion for that, but everything has it's time. And thus in company this shouldn't be allowed.
    On side note, SNW shouldn't be allowed in Colleges too.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well there are jobs where you have to propagate stuff in social media and respond to queries posted in These fora I am not sure whether blocking these sites to them is justifiable

Other than that some misuse Social media in office hours and thieve their office times that is not a good sign at all for the employer
  • aachus
    aachus
    no need to ban the social n/w in colleges or work place . completing the work is the company's only need,the employ should also be aware of his job.
    so banning is not a solution
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    aachus
    no need to ban the social n/w in colleges or work place . completing the work is the company's only need,the employ should also be aware of his job.
    so banning is not a solution
    No this is not the only objective. maintaining the decorum is another aspect of it.
    How can they allow a person disturbing others, consuming bandwidth for the personal use.

Should be absolutely banned and a strict action should be taken against someone who will breach the conduct.

-CB
  • aachus
    aachus
    crazyboy
    No this is not the only objective. maintaining the decorum is another aspect of it.
    How can they allow a person disturbing others, consuming bandwidth for the personal use.

Should be absolutely banned and a strict action should be taken against someone who will breach the conduct.

-CB
    they are making the employees these much to work ..and cant they access the net ???
    social sites are really helping to decrease the stress of the job
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    aachus
    they are making the employees these much to work ..and cant they access the net ???
    social sites are really helping to decrease the stress of the job
    I disagree with you. There are many other ways to burst out stress. Social networking sites are not the only way to relax. I hope you agree with me #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    Well, I have seen a particular framework applied in one of the big companies. We all know that the network usage is monitored by the company. The company employs the policy of recording the time spent on Facebook or Youtube and count it as non productive time. As long as your productive time has a big margin over non productive time, you are free to access any website.

Personally, I kind of like this idea because making strict rules against accessing social websites binds the freedom of employees. They must be having some time to hang out in leisure time.
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    I just don't understand the need for social networking sites in schools or colleges 😑 when you have got your classmates and other living beings around you to be social .Then why use virtual friends/society for refreshment .😲
    It's ok if you are somewhere out or don't have time to get in touch with distant folks to use social media to interact with them .😎
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I do not use the net for personal surfing at work. However, when reading some technical stuff if I come across something that may have CE interest, I used to post it to CE. Nowadays I just mark it to my own personal email and do the posting at home.

It should perhaps be left to the conscience of the user how to handle this. Some places have a strong anti malware protection in place to prevent accidental down loading of viruses. Some consumer oriented businesses do use social networking sites to get feed back.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Not all misuse Social media

Updating a status every 30 min or stuff is purely bul shit and must be banned But If you are not having such a self control it is not wise of you to venture into social media as it can kill you in no time

Healthy usage of social media is always a boon

We ourself have a page in FB which allows people in dire need of blood to post their request and donors respond within a few min cos of the power of media

If such a donor is blocked Social access I am not sure that whether the NEWS will reach him at the earliest
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    You know, CE can be considered a social networking site too no? Socializing engineering interests and all.. πŸ˜›

Anyhow, its true that some use social networking sites to relieve some stress. Why discriminate it with other ways such as calling your friends, reading books, watching youtube or reading some online comics? If companies are concerned about productivity, how about just blocking access to these sites during office hours except the lunch time period?
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    ash
    You know, CE can be considered a social networking site too no? Socializing engineering interests and all.. πŸ˜›

That's why Crazy Engineer site is too banned in my office😑.
    More than productivity, I also came across a word 'security' of data.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Conqueror
    Healthy usage of social media is always a boon
    Can you throw some light on this, that how come healthy usage of social media is a boon during office hours?

-Cb
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    crazyboy
    Can you throw some light on this, that how come healthy usage of social media is a boon during office hours?

-Cb
    Well one of my friends works in advertising and brand publicising department of a MNC his only work is to just read the tweets about his firm and also reply to comments made in FB

One of my friend who found an NGO posts requests for blood by anybody and in seconds we always receive response from members in that open group

PS: I manage a small NGO in my college completely run and governed by student and our only advertisement and way of spreading about our new projects in FB is really a boon in attracting new beneficaries and other project proposals

But this is not the case always
  • Sunil Singh
    Sunil Singh
    These sites inform us regarding the latest trends, helps in interacting with friends, making new friends and sharing our views on various social, political and technical topics. Thus they should not be completely banned but have restrictions on using it like accessing such sites during breaks. simple..!!
  • Preetika
    Preetika
    I also think that social networking sites should be banned in colleges and offices........it really affect the productivity of an employee or a student.......its really a wastage of time.......but as every coin has two sides.......therefore these sites help us to remain connected to our friends...and loved ones.....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, it turns out that there's actually no way to do that; because computing for most of the entertainment seekers has moved from Desktops to mobiles and tablets. Even if the colleges ban the social networking sites on their own networks; people will still be able to access them using mobile data connections on their smartphones.

There are several corporates that require people to surrender their mobile phones to the security/admin staff while they are on the work floors.
  • Madan Mohan Venkatesan
    Madan Mohan Venkatesan
    Social networks are a wonderful source to our generation in terms of gaining knowledge. In my point of they should not be banned. Those who told to bann are the people who are using it for just making friends.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    madan25
    Social networks are a wonderful source to our generation in terms of gaining knowledge.
    No offence buddy, but tell me what knowledge you are gaining from Facebook/twitter feed?
    Aren't those info you can find in any Google news feed and stack-overflow.
    Even in stack-exchange you can chat 😁.

I don't find any reason to allow social networking sites, but also no reason to ban except data shows that people are wasting time there.
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Networking sites should not be banned instead there should be some 'Happy Hours' like lunch hours or 'Eve Tea Time' when you can access those sites.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, I am doing a voice recognition rc car, i am already setting up the speech recognition kit which i got from here . I am looking for an rc...
dis s sathish .........from royal mech
hi can we identify an rf wave coming frm particular mobile using a sensor circuit .i.e can we identify the direction of the mobile from which the rf signal is...
For the under-informed , I own Yamaha's RX-Z and it's got a catalytic converter. The catalytic converter has 'dumped' the 'wroom' sound of the mobike and I do not like...
Hi Friends let me introduce myself... I'm Umar from C.Abdul Hakeem college if Engg & Tech.. I'm very glad to Join this community.. hope it would be helpful for me...