Should Non-Computer Engineering Courses Include Computer Related Topics?

Computers have become an integral part of every engineer's profession and for many of us, it's become a basic need 😉. I'm wondering whether the engineering courses for non-computer disciplines should include basic computer usage topics?

This suggestion looks bit 'odd' because engineers are expected to know the computers right away. But what we notice here on CE is that lot of Mechanical, Civil, Electrical engineers and even computer engineers find it difficult to grasp the software usage.

Should the course include simpler things like: How to use email effectively, how to use online forums, how to use facebook ( 😖 ), what are apps, what is android and so on? Or should it be left to people to explore themselves?

We of course won't need exams on this subject 😀 .

Replies

• aarthivg
    aarthivg
    For electrical engineering,
    1.fundamental of computer I
    2.fundamental of computer II
    3.data structure
    4.object oriented programming language using C++ and java.
    5.computer networks.
    6.operating system.

These are the subjects I have learn (S grade in all the papers), But It took three month's for me to understand whats happening in CE. I wont blame the format of CE. But our education system.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What I'm talking about is the professional communication that you do with your boss or colleagues or say your clients. Do you think it's perfectly alright to use smilies or...
Its a great pleasure to join in this community to get involved with more engineers and sharing knowledge among us. I am working as an Analyst Programmer in Syntel. This...
I found some questions from their logic assessment test. Check them here:
According to today's reports in TOI, Amazon Offices in Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chennai, that create solutions for the ecommerce operations are all hiring (despite a slowdown) Amazon is going to...
Name: Ilga Gracy *Engineering Trade: IT Location: Chennai *Occupation: Analyst Programmer Work Experience: 4 yrs *Hobbies & Interests: Singing and reading spiritual books *Aim in life: To become CEO *I...