Should I join an IT company?

dear friends....

here is my problem.....

i am currently pursuing 4th year chemical engineering and the placements have already begun....
sometime at the beginning of october....TCS will be visiting our college for campus placements...
i have direct interview as my 10th and 12th percentage are above 75%, also i have an CGPA of 8.91.........so should i attend the interview....

the real problem is that no core engg companies are visiting for recruitment and also even if they do come they select very few students.......last year MCF selected no students from our college...so you can understand my problem.....

well as a matter of fact..i do know the basics of c.......and now i am learning c++ so that i don't end up in a lurch......please advice guys.......

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think you should appear for the interview. 'Joining an IT company' and 'Appearing for IT company interview' are two different things. No one's stopping you from attending the interview. But if the real question that you want is the one in the title of this thread; then you'll have to think -: Do you want to make a career as a software engineer? Is that what you're genuinely interested in? Or is it the Chemical Engineer that evades your dreams?

I'm an electrical engineer who decided to join IT company; got frustrated in the very first year, stayed on for two more years before deciding to call it quits and follow a career in doing things I love doing.

Ultimately, no matter how much people deny it: real success comes from doing what you love to do. Now your choice is about Software or Chemicals and you will have to think about your interests.

But if you're in a dilemma; I'd say try for the IT job; but keep looking for a job in Chemical engineering. You have a full year ahead to work out what works the best for you.
  • RAHUL PRASAD
    RAHUL PRASAD
    sir,

i wanted to know on which concepts should i concentrate more on.........since i am from non-IT background........i have made up my mind and will try to get placed in either TCS or WIPRO which will be visiting our college campus soon..

in order to improve my programming skills i have also taken up OBJECT ORIENTED PROGRAMMING as one of my elective.........i think it is better to be placed in some company as it will give me the required industry exposure........

and also since i love meeting people from all over the world and always aspire to travel abroad......i think an IT firm can fulfill these aspirations of mine.....is it true that IT firms like TCS send their employees abroad for training purpose...........
  • prashpan
    prashpan
    Why do you want to change your field? You have got a good cgpa why not study further. Give GRE & toefl go abroad for masters.
    If A core company does not visits your campus doesn't mean that you are forced to change your line. Plus it will take you time to be at the same level as a CS engineer because they are writing programs for the last three years.
    You can Also try Off Campus placements for jobs, companies like ONGC are looking for fresher chemical engineers.
    If you want to Travel abroad and meet people,the best bet is to study abroad. There are universities in Europe that charge little or no tuition fees so its rather cheaper to study there. Plus you will get a once in lifetime chance to travel through Europe (absolutely Amazing) 😎
    Just hate to lose a good chemical engineer...😡
  • pooja konduri
    pooja konduri
    I have same confusion .. Whether to switch in Software or Core... but to get in job in Core takes some time....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've met people who haven't been able to decide whether to opt for medical or engineering. I find it very strange. Why can't those who are unable to decide whether to opt for IT or Core find out the kind of work done in IT and Core and then decide?

I'm not sure whether anyone here can take decisions for you whether you should work in IT or core? It's your personal choice : If you think IT is more exciting for with it. If you haven't been interested in engineering at all, then it does not matter whether you go into IT or Core.
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    The_Big_K
    I think you should appear for the interview. 'Joining an IT company' and 'Appearing for IT company interview' are two different things. No one's stopping you from attending the interview. But if the real question that you want is the one in the title of this thread; then you'll have to think -: Do you want to make a career as a software engineer? Is that what you're genuinely interested in? Or is it the Chemical Engineer that evades your dreams?

I'm an electrical engineer who decided to join IT company; got frustrated in the very first year, stayed on for two more years before deciding to call it quits and follow a career in doing things I love doing.

Ultimately, no matter how much people deny it: real success comes from doing what you love to do. Now your choice is about Software or Chemicals and you will have to think about your interests.

But if you're in a dilemma; I'd say try for the IT job; but keep looking for a job in Chemical engineering. You have a full year ahead to work out what works the best for you.
    Buddy even i am from electrical branch and placed in L&T Infotech(2012).
    But the statement above by you that you left later an IT company...Worries me.
    Is it really not our cup of tea.As you know we have microcontroller,c lang and PLC programming during electrical engineering.
    I always liked programming ,so i am good at all(PLC,8051,c/c++).
    Since coding was my choice, so choose to join IT company.I am waiting for joining hence i am not thinking of doing anything related to core(Mtech or any related job).
    But i am not aware of ground realities.Can you please advice me ? What was your experience .Please suggest,it would help me.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If you love coding, there's nothing to worry about. In fact, you might just like working in IT. The big problem is there's no accord between the educational institutes and the industry and graduating engineers are totally clueless about the kind of work they'll be doing once they join the company.

I was determined not to be in the 'job' for all my life. I joined IT because I had to do 'something' till I figure out what I really wanted to do in life. I'd probably have loved my IT job more had I been working on 'products' than providing 'services' to clients.
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    Great that you answered in a best way.I now know what i am supposed (want) to do.Thank you.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi all plse help me out here . Plse give me a lit bit info on XHTML,XML..and what is XXLT?
hello every1 i am vishal pursuing my final year in field of electricals. I am actually in search of workshops and guest lectures that will benefit electrical students. Can any...
Hi friends.. I am working in a simulation project.. We have decided upon use of petri nets simulator.. My work is to develop a simulation of software process.. but have...
what is the difference between watt and wattage , volt and voltage?
Hiii... I am Sheshendra Guntamukkala completed my engineering in IT field from Nagpur University in 2011, now currently i am seeking for a good job..