Should Colleges deploy Cell Phone Jammers and employ common Wi-fi?

Hey guys, I am putting forward a topic of discussion related to prevent unwanted usage of cellphones in colleges.

This is my theory to stop the unwanted use of Cell Phones in colleges.
We see that daily in between the classes and lectures there is an enormous use of cell phones which creates disturbance in smooth functioning of daily activities. What if we block the cell phone frequency range within the campus. If people demand internet usage within college campus which comes primarily from their network provider, the colleges can provide Wi-Fi connection for everyone in-house. This connection and traffic can also be monitored on the server and unwanted websites can be blocked as wanted. This will lead to overall upgrade of infrastructure in colleges and help in concentrating on academic activities. In case of urgent communication, Shoutboxes / private chat facility can be deployed within the network.

What are your views about this way of monitoring students activity?

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Nayan Goenka
    Hey guys, I am putting forward a topic of discussion related to prevent unwanted usage of cellphones in colleges.

This is my theory to stop the unwanted use of Cell Phones in colleges.
    We see that daily in between the classes and lectures there is an enormous use of cell phones which creates disturbance in smooth functioning of daily activities. What if we block the cell phone frequency range within the campus. If people demand internet usage within college campus which comes primarily from their network provider, the colleges can provide Wi-Fi connection for everyone in-house. This connection and traffic can also be monitored on the server and unwanted websites can be blocked as wanted. This will lead to overall upgrade of infrastructure in colleges and help in concentrating on academic activities. In case of urgent communication, Shoutboxes / private chat facility can be deployed within the network.

What are your views about this way of monitoring students activity?
    I dont think students use phones inbetween classes or lectures to browse but they use it for texting
    and phone calls to friends.So Does the topic justified?

Nice idea on implementing common wifi but control over it was doubtful.
  • Teresan
    Teresan
    Hi guys,
    In my college mobile phones are strictly prohibited inside the campus..
    At first we found it difficult but then I think its good and every college should practice it..
    Usage of internet can be done inside the campus in our college library.
    So there is no need for the faculty to monitor students..
    Hope we are in safe zone...
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    CSK AUTO
    I dont think students use phones inbetween classes or lectures to browse but they use it for texting
    and phone calls to friends.So Does the topic justified?

Nice idea on implementing common wifi but control over it was doubtful.

that is exactly what I am telling, they use cell phone for unnecessary reasons and then justify when questioned that it was for educational use. So idea is to block cell phone range and use common wifi for surfing.
  • Teresan
    Teresan
    Yeah i agree...
    Students really find it hard to digest at first but later they will get used to it...
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Nayan Goenka
    that is exactly what I am telling, they use cell phone for unnecessary reasons and then justify when questioned that it was for educational use. So idea is to block cell phone range and use common wifi for surfing.
    Well specifically blocking mobile phones and allowing wifi in the college premises it is not feasible

Blocking a gadget completely will be a better solution. But if the gadget is in the campus and you try to implement any restriction it will make students to counter the actual jammer

PS: Jammer is just high energy signal and can easily be reversed By using boosters in the class room and they are easy to make

Common wifi is always a bane how many students have Smarter phones in the class
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I see that this is not a good technical debate topic. This is more or less a social debate topic. I think this has to be moved to chit chat section.
    #-Link-Snipped-# : what is your comment?
    Putting restrictions always promote students forming union(groups) and work against the college.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I think that limitations when forced student's innovation in the criminal scale increases We form unions We become best friends against the college and stuff

But still do tech point of view this is not a grand solution
  • shubham Sawant
    shubham Sawant
    I agree with all of you friends but what about the students who lives far away from home. There may be important calls & messages for them & delay in getting messages may be problematic for them
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - Your intention of blocking network inside the campus is good. For me i think blocking the internet is better, instead of the complete network.
    What about the professor's and lecturer's mobiles? whether your policies will affect them?
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    You can regulate any service to some confined people and places. It is on colleges what they want to deploy and accept
    From the discussion above i understand that many of them support a internet connection than a cell phone but restriction can't control especially students .They know what to do and when to do.so don't feed anyone.

Anyone please tell the negative side of having a cell in campus .
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    From the discussion above i understand that many of them support a internet connection than a cell phone but restriction can't control especially students .They know what to do and when to do.so don't feed anyone.

Anyone please tell the negative side of having a cell in campus .
    1. Now a days everyone having account to access social websites. Some of them are addicted. If you seen any notification, you can't hold your hand even during the class hours.
    2. Watching the video through internet to spend their time. If they feel bored.
    3. Downloading the video's and audio's. Etc.
    I am not against the using of mobile phones in the hostel & campus. If you are in the class room you have to obey the staff and listening their lectures.
    By hindsight i have an another idea like you can kept your mobile phones or anything in a locker. It means the college administration has to provide a locker for each and every students to keep their personal belongings. And maintaining with secure and safety.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Users of The Pirate Bay (TPB) website have now more reasons to rejoice to mark the 10th anniversary of the site. We know that thousands of people are not able...
Is it worth spending 6 months in CDAC and putting 79k(WiMC)+35K(accomodation) on it? Or staying at home and going to some coaching centre and preparing for GATE and IES?Which one...
I have some doubt in power transformer relating it with the frequency. 1. what will happen to the power transformer which is designed for 50 hz is connected to 100...
Hey Guys, I am writing this article related to obfuscated coding. It has a high utility in software security domain. Do rate this with your comments. Obfuscated coding is the...
Here is an interesting death dealing device: https://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2013-08/watch-homemade-coilgun-destroy-laptop