sensors and goods detection

PROBLEM
There are x containers coming in to my dock yard warehouse,and they are suppose to be cleared off in some time(t).
I need to obtain details of such as
1.)How many containers came in
2.)How many are cleared at given time
3.)Time of arrival of containers and time taken for them to get cleared

Tricky part is another set of containers will arrive to the same warehouse while the first set is still there.So i need separate data for different sets of containers.
I planned to use trip wire sensors but fork lifts or vehicle triggers the sensor and add error to data.
Another method was to use image detecting cameras,but it detects any other movement and add error to data.

Please help me out in this matter.Thank you for spending time in reading any productive feed back is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    You can use laser transmitter-receiver, or infrared transmitter-receiver, as your budget may permit.
    The containers are usually higher than other vehicles, even they are taller than the vehicles which bring them, when mounted. Use three laser sensors, in a horizontal line, at a height which is higher than other vehicles but lower than the container height mounted on the vehicle. The purpose of three sensors, well, let me put it straight.
    They are spaced such that the distance between two sensors is less than the length of the smallest container. So, when the container gets in, it would activate two sensors at a time. then you can make sure that it is a container. Now, let us name the sensors 1,2 and 3.
    When an object obstructing the transmitter-receiver gets in, it first intersects sensor 1. Then our processor checks if it obstructs sensor 2 without changing the status of sensor 1. If it does, then the processor verifies that it is a container. And as it obstructs the sensor 1 first, it verifies that it is getting in. So, your computer tells you that one container has got in. Similar for getting on, it would be vice-versa.
    This is a fully automatic version which won't satisfy that tricky part of the question.
    Now, For the other consignment (tricky) problem. If you know the details of the drivers who drive the first containers(those of your concern), call them up and tell them that there is a button provided at the gate, which they need to hit when they get in and they clear out the containers. This way, you can count the number of containers, do all the things required without the need of sensors. But this is a semi automatic type, it won't work without human intervention.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've been hearing from multiple sources that BSNL has slashed the tariff on unlimited download plans by a huge margin. I've not been able to confirm the news through. Can...
Hello, I have start a business related to campus placement, at now i am associated with 70 + college in India. but the problem is i have no MNC company...
How is concrete made? Concrete is a mixture of paste and aggregates (sand and rock). The paste, comprising Portland cement and water, coats the surface of the fine and coarse...
Nokia took a decision to switch the primary operating system for their phones from Symbian to Windows7 and that means lot of Symbian related projects will go back to Finland....
1. Muram or Mud Floors- ground floor having its topping consisting of muram or mud . Having this kind of floor is easily and cheaply repairable. 2. Mosaic Floors-floors having...