Satellite Orbit-Stable Points?

when we read about the orbits and satellites we come across stable points...that is when the satellite is nearer to the stable points then the velocity of the satellite increases towards these points....my question is what are stable points??why do they exist??even if they exist what causes the satellite to drift towards these points???

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I think they are the points of apogee and Perigee

Based on the law of constant areas the velocity of satellites increases in it's elliptical path Check the link below for more info on Kepler's law and the apogee and perigee condition

File:kepler Second Law.gif
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    ya i know the varaition of velocity at apogee and perigee points...but stable points are different..their other name is graveyards...there are two stable points...75 degrees east and 105 degrees west..these are not apogee and perigee points...
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Sorry for the misconsception here I found this that is called graveyard orbits

Graveyard Orbit

Is it the one you are looking for? The graveyard orbits are the orbits where defunc satellites are pushed at the end of their life term
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    ya this is what i am looking for....at these points the satellites make a drift and due to this velocity increases and decreases...this is what the theory we have in our subject...but what is the reason for the drift i dont know...that is want i wanted to know....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have two lan cards in One PC running on Win XP...I have to keep one disable to run another.I have one internal LAN connection and another BSNL broadband connection...Is...
Well this is time for some space extravaganza in Meenakshi Sundararajan Engineering College, Chennai More info very soon here But surely it is space age this February in MSEC Hope...
I am a pedestrian in this sort of thing. Probably most CEans are Olympic champs in this. However, there may be other pedestrians who may find this useful: https://lifehacker.com/5973313/top-10-ways-to-speed-up-and-beef-up-your-google-searches
The Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) satellite captured a stunning solar eruption. Tremendous magnetic forces jutted out the plasma. However, the even more powerful gravity of the sun pulled back almost...
As all know to their cost, engineering design is aa CAD and mouse game. Like in Tom and Jerry cartoons, the mouse has a few tricks up its sleeve to...