Samsung Chromebook For $250 - Would you buy it?

By now, the news must've reached every gadget freak here that Samsung and Google have launched the new ultra-slim Chromebook. It will run on an operating system revolving around Google’s Chrome Web browser and like other so-called Chromebooks, this laptop doesn’t have a hard drive

Samsung-Chromebook
Take a look at its features at a glance -
  • 12.1-inch LED-backlit display with an anti-reflective screen
  • Easy-to-Use Full-Sized Keyboard
  • 8.5 hours of battery life
  • Buttonless touchpad with multi-gesture support
  • Instant On, 3G cellular connectivity
  • Intel Atom N570 Dual Core Processor (1.66 GHz)
  • 2GB Memory
  • 16 GB solid-state drive (SSD)
  • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150
  • Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n) + integrated 3G
  • 4-in-1 memory card reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC, MMC)
  • Two USB 2.0 Ports
  • Built-in stereo speakers
  • Combo headphone/microphone jack
  • 1 Megapixel Webcam
  • 6-cell battery with up to 8.5 hours of use
Chromebooks have some major limitations, however, which can be a deal-breaker for someone who needs the missing functionality. For starters, there really isn't a file system like you would expect on a Windows or Mac computer. Since Chrome OS is based in the cloud, Google expects all of your storage to take place there. Last but not least, despite having an almost full-sized keyboard, all the usual keys aren't there.

I've heard people go for Netbooks instead of Chromebooks. Surely, nothing can beat a full-fledged laptop. What do CEans say? Would anyone of you buy a Chromebook? If yes, why?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That is one affordable piece of hardware, and I'm happy that except for the storage, all other hardware details look impressive. 16 GB of SSD storage is too little for Chromebook; but that just me. People have gigs of photos and videos and all the HD stuff will cost at least 2 GB of space. But overall, looks like a a good purchase and value for money.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Got the bad news - the Chromebook isn't coming to India anytime soon. Those who want it will have to ask their friends or relatives to bring one for you from abroad.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here's a thread dedicated to the 'full form' of the most common abbreviations used in daily life and in professional world. I'm quite sure, over a period of time, it...
Discuss anything about the atom in this thread. New experiments, old ones, what we don't know yet and what possibilities exist out there. I have a question, I came across...
I've been wondering if there's a way or mechanism to trace the current location of mobile via Internet or any other method. I recall a brief discussion we've had about...
I have one question with regards with staad. Staad takes into account series of combination load, takes the most critical and uses it in design. What makes my model so...
So Mahindra has launched the SsangYong Rexton in India for a price of Rs. 17 lakh onwards. I want some quick comparisons with the Toyota Fortuner, which has been recently...