Rotating Fan Illusion

1}When you see a rotating fan, at the start it seems like rotating in opposite direction. Why does it look so? 2}This also happens when the fan is rotating at a very high speed.
In the first case, the illusion stays for few seconds. But in the second case, it remains as long as the fan is rotating.

Replies

• Ammar Aziz
    Ammar Aziz
    really a good observation. this is due to something which i explain later inshahallah
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    mreccentric
    1}When you see a rotating fan, at the start it seems like rotating in opposite direction. Why does it look so? 2}This also happens when the fan is rotating at a very high speed.
    In the first case, the illusion stays for few seconds. But in the second case, it remains as long as the fan is rotating.
    Stroboscopic effect. You will not see it in daylight. Tubelight, which has a high frequency flicker can cause this. Same effect is seen with car wheels or helicopter blades in films.

Bioramani
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    Any idea why this image looks like it is? It's a image of ceiling fan taken from a movie.
    [​IMG]
    No... i understood why it happens so. Thank You FOR THE ANSWERS of the prev question.
  • Ankush Sharma
    Ankush Sharma
    bioramani
    Stroboscopic effect.

Bioramani
    dear please explain some more about this effect.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Anku2993
    dear please explain some more about this effect.
    Here is how it works. When the frequency of the light source matches the RPM of the fan it appears stationary.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Prof. V Rajaraman, Department of Super Computer Education and Research, IISC Bangalore explained the concepts like Interactive Data Input, models of data input, Error Detection code and other checking systems...
hello guys!! Actually I am not an IT or computer science guy. I work in a civil engineering company what i want is, I have like a picture for many...
With over 1500 guest LG introduced its Cinema 3D TV in Paris, which come together with the world first certified “flicker-free” picture in the television industry with battery-free, lightweight 3D...
Lecture Series on Principles of Mechanical Measurements by Prof.R.Raman, Department of Mechanical Engineering,IIT Madras. Feel free to discuss. [video=youtube;wK0-Y6b-Vlc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK0-Y6b-Vlc[/video]
Lecture Series on Principles Of Mechanical Measurements by Prof.R.Raman, Department of Mechanical Engineering,IIT Madras. Feel free to discuss. [video=youtube;yKZEhKbL09A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKZEhKbL09A[/video]