Rohan Shravan On NotionInk's Adam

Steve Jobs says that we're in the post-PC era defined by iPod, #-Link-Snipped-#and the latest #-Link-Snipped-#. The tablet computers are taking over the primary means of personal computing and may soon replace the laptops. The Adam Tablet, created by NotionInk is India's one of the first tablets. I had a quick chat with NotionInk's CEO Rohan Shravan about his background, birth of the Adam Tablet. Check -

[​IMG]
Rohan Shravan

CE: Rohan, you are founder & CEO of NotionInk. Could you tell us about your background?

Rohan: I belong from a lower middle class family and my mom took care of all my needs. I am a bachelor in Mechanical Engineering from IIT Kharagpur (2008 batch). There are very few people who know me or my ambitions (from my social circle or college) since I don't talk a lot. Things I was interested as kid were different from what generally is expected, but one trait which is common throughout is that scale and architecture. I have always been fascinated about designing in scale and architecting such systems from scratch.

CE: You earned through direct business when you were 12. What was that business and how did you start it?

Rohan: While in school that time, I did a small but very profitable food business. Then from 17 to 21 I taught students (my long term goal is to become a professor). In college I manufactured shirts to generate money for a Location Based Information Business, and then we are here at Notion Ink.

CE: You're a mechanical engineer from IIT Kharagpur. Why did you decide to get into Consumer Electronics Industry?

Rohan: I opted for ME because I felt that's the closest which can help me understand manufacturing process, quality standards, robotics and mechatronics (that is what CE industry is mostly about). But I was heavily disappointed, since ME in India is only about Turbines and Heat Cycles mostly. (We really need to revamp what we teach).

CE: Tell us the story of the birth of Adam.

Rohan: Adam came out from a need a product for myself. As a kid I wanted to play music, learn stuff, draw, paint, take photographs, listen to music for hours, look at sky and know about constellations, etc. That's when I wanted to work on something which can help me do all this. I wanted to start in 2007, but it wasnt until 2008 that NVidia and other companies responded to my request to get me access to their technology.

CE: What's your most favorite feature of Adam?

Rohan: Camera, Tegra and Speakers.

CE: How did you convince your investors to bet their money on you? How many rejections did you survive?

Rohan: We rejected investors based on their profile and provided such a strong proof of concept that will keep them engaged forever.

CE: Why would Steve Jobs want to buy Adam?

Rohan: Possibly to remember 1976 when Apple was born.

Image Credit: Engadget | Technology News & Reviews

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Looks like there's a big problem many customers are facing with the delivery of Adam. From what I heard, the Adam has already began shipping in few parts of the world.

Are there any problems with delivery in any particular region in world?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Call of Duty, the gaming series very popular with the gamers all over the world, has set another record. Its 7th part, Call of Duty: Black Ops, has been officially...
In the world of internet where everybody is browsing, surfing, social networking, etc. why would anybody want to be left behind? A new site by the name Bump.com has come...
Children are always fascinated when they see a program on Discovery channel regarding Plane crash or about any such disaster. These programs are made so interesting that we get involved...
Scientists & researchers at Auckland Bioengineering Institute in New Zealand have succeeded in developing jelly-like artificial muscles that will soon replace the nuts and bots in robotics. The new muscles...
One of my post on VoiCE was about the need of Variable Automated Traffic Control System. In a country like India with a huge population constituting heavy traffic and narrow...