RIP, Winamp. You were great!

When I was in college (those were the Windows 98 days!) Winamp was the king of all the music players. The service that served a lot of us is shutting down! I remember the days when I used to download a ton of freeware audio/video players looking for the perfect media player that produced absolutely best audio and video output. Winamp remained my default media player for a long time and was replaced by Jet Audio; which I believe is still the best audio player for Windows machines.

Since then, VideoLAN's VLC media player has taken over the kingdom of music players and single handedly rules most of the machines across all the platforms - Windows, Macs and Linux.

Thank you for all the entertainment, Winamp. You were awesome and will be missed.

Let's observe a 10 seconds of silence in memory of Winamp. Do tell share your memories of using Winamp and how's your choice of media player changed over the past few years.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    When 6 years ago my dad bought be desktop, it shipped with XP & as it was assembled it had Winamp pre-installed by seller it was quite nice music player. Never got much time to explore features of Winamp, because once i got internet connection, and being a curious-troll, I slowly switched into linux.

My music player history is something like : Winamp -> Rhythmbox -> Banshee -> Amarok.
    I use amarok now-a-days. Even words can't describe how good Amarok is. It has everything : music player (obv.), converter, cover art download, tag tool, lyrics.

I don't consider VLC Player as Music player, though it can play music files it is no where closer to be tagged as 'music player', so saying that VLC player dethroned Winamp is not correct IMO. I would rather say that iTunes dethroned all other music players (in Windows & OSX).
    VLC Player is undoubtedly the best 'video player' though.
  • Thirumeni
    Thirumeni
    its was most handsome media player said by my sister always... 😀
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Back in those days only two players ware Winamp for audio and Super Vcd cutter for playing pirated and scratched CD😀, Then we got VLC and K-lite mega codec pack👎👍

I can't able to delete smiley from mobile😳
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Long back I sent one software CD to my uncle and he is still using winamp every morning for Bhajan's and etc.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    I still use winamp. yeah it is antique, but in its own right is better than Real-player and VLC player.

What i am really mourning is the death of the music downloading software called Limewire. anyone used this or heard of it ?
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Strangely enough, the only "music player" I use these days is youtube (either app or browser)!!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    As the world mourns the leaving of Winamp from out tech-inspired lives, here is a video from BigThink where you see how in the era before iTunes, Frankel created one of the first MP3 players.

Take a look at the very nice video about 'The Making of Winamp' -

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I used winamp for about 4 years before using the default windows media player then VLC.

Over 6 years I am listening to music through phone or TV 😀
  • Raj A
    Raj A
    i have been using Winamp for last 9 years... Still running successfully.. No doubt it was a great s/w for listening good music, playing videos and for many more uses.. We will surely miss it..
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    There is still hope..
    Heard that Microsoft was in talks with AOL to acquire the Intellectual Property Rights of Winamp.
    There is also an online petition going around asking AOL to make Winamp open source.
    Would like to see Winamp back in action again.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I love those cute small Winamp players and i still use it when i needed to listen good music.RIP Winamp..
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I love those cute small Winamp players and i still use it when i needed to listen good music.RIP Winamp..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Entrepreneurs and startups please note - you may now apply to the next batch of 10000 startups - an initiative by NASSCOM and Google to fund & grow over 10,000...
Qualcomm Technologies Inc. has launched its next generation mobile processors with the official unveiling of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 chipset. Coming to the commercial devices by the first half of...
What does it mean when we say size of a pointer is 2 bytes under DOS and 4 bytes under windows/linux ? What does this 'size ' refer to in...
I've been using BSNL FTTH and the speed it offers is up to 100 Mbps. I'm curious to know which ISP in India offers Interent speeds faster than that and...
All the Nokia Asha phone users, it is time to rejoice, because WhatsApp is soon coming to the Asha 501 smartphone. Shared today on their official blog - Nokia Conversations,...